- Cited by 21
Deng, Yunlong Mou, Jirong Wu, Huali Zhou, Lin Zheng, Qiaoji Lam, Kwok Ho Xu, Chenggang and Lin, Dunmin 2017. Enhanced Electrochemical Performance in Ni-Doped LiMn2 O4 -Based Composite Cathodes for Lithium-Ion Batteries. ChemElectroChem, Vol. 4, Issue. , p. 1362.
Wu, Zhen-Guo Li, Jun-Tao Zhong, Yan-Jun Guo, Xiao-Dong Huang, Ling Zhong, Ben-He Agyeman, Daniel-Adjei Lim, Jin-Myoung Kim, Du-ho Cho, Maeng-hyo and Kang, Yong-Mook 2017. Mn-Based Cathode with Synergetic Layered-Tunnel Hybrid Structures and Their Enhanced Electrochemical Performance in Sodium Ion Batteries. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, Vol. 9, Issue. , p. 21267.
Xiang, Yanhong Sun, Zhen Li, Jian Wu, Xianwen Liu, Zhixiong Xiong, Lizhi He, Zeqiang Long, Bo Yang, Chen and Yin, Zhoulan 2017. Improved electrochemical performance of Li1.2Ni0.2Mn0.6O2 cathode material for lithium ion batteries synthesized by the polyvinyl alcohol assisted sol-gel method. Ceramics International, Vol. 43, Issue. , p. 2320.
Shunmugasundaram, Ramesh Senthil Arumugam, Rajalakshmi Harris, Kristopher J. Goward, Gillian R. and Dahn, J. R. 2016. A Search for Low-Irreversible Capacity and High-Reversible Capacity Positive Electrode Materials in the Li–Ni–Mn–Co Pseudoquaternary System. Chemistry of Materials, Vol. 28, Issue. , p. 55.
Kim, Soo Noh, Jae-Kyo Aykol, Muratahan Lu, Zhi Kim, Haesik Choi, Wonchang Kim, Chunjoong Chung, Kyung Yoon Wolverton, Chris and Cho, Byung-Won 2016. Layered-Layered-Spinel Cathode Materials Prepared by a High-Energy Ball-Milling Process for Lithium-ion Batteries. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, Vol. 8, Issue. , p. 363.
Xiang, Yanhong Li, Jian Wu, Xianwen Liu, Zhixiong Xiong, Lizhi He, Zeqiang and Yin, Zhoulan 2016. Synthesis and electrochemical characterization of Mg-doped Li-rich Mn-based cathode material. Ceramics International, Vol. 42, Issue. , p. 8833.
Kim, Chunjoong Phillips, Patrick J. Xu, Linping Dong, Angang Buonsanti, Raffaella Klie, Robert F. and Cabana, Jordi 2015. Stabilization of Battery Electrode/Electrolyte Interfaces Employing Nanocrystals with Passivating Epitaxial Shells. Chemistry of Materials, Vol. 27, Issue. , p. 394.
Zhao, Jianqing Ellis, Sarah Xie, Zhiqiang and Wang, Ying 2015. Synthesis of Integrated Layered-Spinel Composite Cathode Materials for High-Voltage Lithium-Ion Batteries up to 5.0 V. ChemElectroChem, Vol. 2, Issue. , p. 1821.
Lim, Jin-Myoung Kim, Duho Lim, Young-Geun Park, Min-Sik Kim, Young-Jun Cho, Maenghyo and Cho, Kyeongjae 2015. The origins and mechanism of phase transformation in bulk Li2MnO3: first-principles calculations and experimental studies. J. Mater. Chem. A, Vol. 3, Issue. , p. 7066.
Casas-Cabanas, Montse and Palacín, M 2015. Advanced Materials for Clean Energy. p. 229.
Zhu, Zhenye and Zhu, Linwei 2014. Influence of Li2O content on the structural and electrochemical properties of layered-layered-spinel composite cathode materials LixMn4/6Ni1/6Co1/6O(1.75+0.5x). Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 138, Issue. , p. 79.
Venkateswara Rao, Chitturi Soler, Jesse Katiyar, Rajesh Shojan, Jifi West, William C. and Katiyar, Ram S. 2014. Investigations on Electrochemical Behavior and Structural Stability of Li1.2Mn0.54Ni0.13Co0.13O2Lithium-Ion Cathodes via in-Situ and ex-Situ Raman Spectroscopy. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Vol. 118, Issue. , p. 14133.
Choi, Arum Palanisamy, Kowsalya Kim, Yunok Yoon, Jaegu Park, Jin-Hwan Lee, Suk Woo Yoon, Won-Sub and Kim, Kwang-Bum 2014. Microwave-assisted hydrothermal synthesis of electrochemically active nano-sized Li2MnO3 dispersed on carbon nanotube network for lithium ion batteries. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 591, Issue. , p. 356.
Lee, Eun-Sung Huq, Ashfia and Manthiram, Arumugam 2013. Understanding the effect of synthesis temperature on the structural and electrochemical characteristics of layered-spinel composite cathodes for lithium-ion batteries. Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 240, Issue. , p. 193.
Mas, Alicia López, María L. Álvarez-Serrano, Inmaculada Pico, Carlos and Veiga, María L. 2013. Electrochemical performance of Li(4−x)/3Mn(5−2x)/3FexO4 (x = 0.5 and x = 0.7) spinels: effect of microstructure and composition. Dalton Transactions, Vol. 42, Issue. , p. 9990.
Ivanova, Sv. Zhecheva, E. Nihtianova, D. Mladenov, Ml. and Stoyanova, R. 2013. Electrochemical intercalation of Li+ into nanodomain Li4Mn5O12. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 561, Issue. , p. 252.
Yao, Su-mei Zhang, Jing-wen Guo, Xun and Qiu, Xin-ping 2013. Preparation and electrochemical properties of x Li2MnO3·(1-x)LiMn2O4 composites. Chemical Research in Chinese Universities, Vol. 29, Issue. , p. 307.
Yu, Haijun and Zhou, Haoshen 2013. High-Energy Cathode Materials (Li2MnO3–LiMO2) for Lithium-Ion Batteries. The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, Vol. 4, Issue. , p. 1268.
Lee, Eun-Sung Huq, Ashfia Chang, Hong-Young and Manthiram, Arumugam 2012. High-Voltage, High-Energy Layered-Spinel Composite Cathodes with Superior Cycle Life for Lithium-Ion Batteries. Chemistry of Materials, Vol. 24, Issue. , p. 600.
Song, Bohang Liu, Zongwen Lai, Man On and Lu, Li 2012. Structural evolution and the capacity fade mechanism upon long-term cycling in Li-rich cathode material. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, Vol. 14, Issue. , p. 12875.
Check if you have access via personal or institutional login
The complexity of layered-spinel yLi2MnO3·(1 – y)Li1+xMn2–xO4 (Li:Mn = 1.2:1; 0 ≤ x ≤ 0.33; y ≥ 0.45) composites synthesized at different temperatures has been investigated by a combination of x-ray diffraction (XRD), x-ray absorption spectroscopy (XAS), and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR). While the layered component does not change substantially between samples, an evolution of the spinel component from a high to a low lithium excess phase has been traced with temperature by comparing with data for pure Li1+xMn2–xO4. The changes that occur to the structure of the spinel component and to the average oxidation state of the manganese ions within the composite structure as lithium is electrochemically removed in a battery have been monitored using these techniques, in some cases in situ. Our 6Li NMR results constitute the first direct observation of lithium removal from Li2MnO3 and the formation of LiMnO2 upon lithium reinsertion.
Hide All1. M. Armand , J.M. Tarascon Building better batteries. Nature 451, 652(2008)
2. A.K. Padhi , K.S. Nanjundaswamy , J.B. Goodenough Phospho-olivines as positive-electrode materials for rechargeable lithium batteries. J. Electrochem. Soc. 144, 1188(1997)
4. M.S. Whittingham Lithium batteries and cathode materials. Chem. Rev. 104, 4271(2004)
5. J.M. Tarascon , D. Guyomard The Li1+xMn2O4/C rocking-chair system: A review. Electrochim. Acta 38, 1221(1993)
6. M.M. Thackeray Manganese oxides for lithium batteries. Prog. Solid State Chem. 25, 1(1997)
7. M.M. Thackeray , W.I.F. David , P.G. Bruce , J.B. Goodenough Lithium insertion into manganese spinels. Mater. Res. Bull. 18, 461(1983)
8. A. Mosbah , A. Verbaere , M. Tournoux LiXMnO2λ phases related to the spinel type. Mater. Res. Bull. 18, 1375(1983)
9. W.I.F. David , M.M. Thackeray , L.A. De Picciotto , J.B. Goodenough Structure refinement of the spinel-related phases Li2Mn2O4 and Li0.2Mn2O4. J. Solid State Chem. 67, 316(1987)
10. F. Le Cras , M. Anne , D. Bloch , P. Strobel Structural in-situ study of Li intercalation in Li1+αMn2–αO4 spinel-type oxides. Solid State Ionics 106, 1(1998)
11. P. Kalyani , S. Chitra , T. Mohan , S. Gopukumar Lithium metal rechargeable cells using Li2MnO3 as the positive electrode. J. Power Sources 80, 103(1999)
12. A.D. Robertson , P.G. Bruce Mechanism of electrochemical activity in Li2MnO3. Chem. Mater. 15, 1984(2003)
13. M.H. Rossouw , D.C. Liles , M.M. Thackeray Synthesis and structural characterization of a novel layered lithium manganese oxide, Li0.36Mn0.91O2, and its lithiated derivative, Li1.09Mn0.91O2. J. Solid State Chem. 104, 464(1993)
14. W.P. Tang , H.F. Kanoh , X.J. Yang , K. Ooi Preparation of plate-form manganese oxide by selective lithium extraction from monoclinic Li2MnO3 under hydrothermal conditions. Chem. Mater. 12, 3271(2000)
15. Y. Paik , C.P. Grey , C.S. Johnson , J.S. Kim , M.M. Thackeray Lithium and deuterium NMR studies of acid-leached layered lithium manganese oxides. Chem. Mater. 14, 5109(2002)
16. M.H. Rossouw , D.C. Liles , M.M. Thackeray , W.I.F. David , S. Hull Alpha manganese dioxide for lithium batteries: A structural and electrochemical study. Mater. Res. Bull. 27, 221(1992)
17. M.M. Thackeray , C.S. Johnson , J.T. Vaughey , N. Li , S.A. Hackney Advances in manganese-oxide ‘composite' electrodes for lithium-ion batteries. J. Mater. Chem. 15, 2257(2005)
18. C.S. Johnson , N. Li , J.T. Vaughey , S.A. Hackney , M.M. Thackeray Lithium-manganese oxide electrodes with layered-spinel composite structures xLi2MnO3·(1 – x)Li1+yMn2–yO4 (0 < x < 1, 0 ≤ y ≤ 0.33) for lithium batteries. Electrochem. Commun. 7, 528(2005)
19. S.H. Park , S.H. Kang , C.S. Johnson , K. Amine , M.M. Thackeray Lithium–manganese–nickel-oxide electrodes with integrated layered–spinel structures for lithium batteries. Electrochem. Commun. 9, 262(2007)
20. J. Cabana , S.H. Kang , C.S. Johnson , M.M. Thackeray , C.P. Grey Structural and electrochemical characterization of composite layered-spinel electrodes containing Ni and Mn for Li-ion batteries. J. Electrochem. Soc. 156, A730(2009)
21. P. Thompson , D.E. Cox , J.B. Hastings Rietveld refinement of Debye-Scherrer synchrotron x-ray data from Al2O3. J. Appl. Cryst. 20, 79(1987)
23. T. Takada , H. Hayakawa , E. Akiba Preparation and crystal structure refinement of Li4Mn5O12 by the Rietveld method. J. Solid State Chem. 115, 420(1995)
25. P. Strobel , B. Lambert-Andron Crystallographic and magnetic-structure of Li2MnO3. J. Solid State Chem. 75, 90(1988)
26. J. Bréger , M. Jiang , N. Dupré , Y.S. Meng , Y. Shao-Horn , G. Ceder , C.P. Grey High-resolution x-ray diffraction, DIFFaX, NMR and first principles study of disorder in the Li2MnO3–Li[Ni1/2Mn1/2]O2 solid solution. J. Solid State Chem. 178, 2575(2005)
27. C.P. Grey , N. Dupré NMR studies of cathode materials for lithium-ion rechargeable batteries. Chem. Rev. 104, 4493(2004)
28. Y.J. Lee , C.P. Grey Determining the lithium local environments in the lithium manganates LiZn0.5Mn1.5O4 and Li2MnO3 by analysis of the 6Li MAS NMR spinning sideband manifolds. J. Phys. Chem. B 106, 3576(2002)
29. P. Mustarelli , V. Massarotti , M. Bini , D. Capsoni Transferred hyperfine interaction and structure in LiMn2O4 and Li2MnO3 coexisting phases: A XRD and 7Li NMR-MAS study. Phys. Rev. B 55, 12018(1997)
30. K.R. Morgan , S. Collier , G. Burns , K. Ooi A 6Li and 7Li MAS NMR-study of the spinel-type manganese oxide LiMn2O4 and the rock salt-type manganese oxide Li2MnO3. J. Chem. Soc. Chem. Commun. 1719(1994)
31. C.P. Grey , Y.J. Lee Lithium MAS NMR studies of cathode materials for lithium-ion batteries. Solid State Sci. 5, 883(2003)
32. M. Casas-Cabanas , J. Rodríguez-Carvajal , J. Canales-Vázquez , Y. Laligant , P. Lacorre , M.R. Palacín Microstructural characterization of battery materials using powder diffraction data: DIFFaX, FAULTS and SH-FullProf approaches. J. Power Sources 174, 414(2007)
33. Y.J. Lee , C.P. Grey 6Li and 7Li MAS NMR studies of lithium manganate cathode materials. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 120, 12601(1998)
35. C. Masquelier , M. Tabuchi , K. Ado , R. Kanno , Y. Kobayashi , Y. Maki , O. Nakamura , J.B. Goodenough Chemical and magnetic characterization of spinel materials in the LiMn2O4-Li2Mn4O9-Li4Mn5O12 system. J. Solid State Chem. 123, 255(1996)
36. J.M. Paulsen , J.R. Dahn Phase diagram of Li-Mn-O spinel in air. Chem. Mater. 11, 3065(1999)
37. R.J. Gummow , A. De Kock , M.M. Thackeray Improved capacity retention in rechargeable 4V lithium/lithium manganese oxide (spinel) cells. Solid State Ionics 69, 59(1994)
38. J.C. Hunter Preparation of a new crystal form of manganese dioxide: λ-MnO2. J. Solid State Chem. 39, 142(1981)
39. M.M. Thackeray , A. De Kock , M.H. Rossouw , D. Liles , R. Bittihn , D. Hoge Spinel electrodes from the Li-Mn-O system for rechargeable lithium battery applications. J. Electrochem. Soc. 139, 363(1992)
40. T. Ohzuku , M. Kitagawa , T. Hirai Electrochemistry of manganese-dioxide in lithium nonaqueous cell. 3. X-ray diffractional study on the reduction of spinel-related manganese-dioxide. J. Electrochem. Soc. 137, 769(1990)
41. Y.J. Lee , C.P. Grey 6Li magic-angle spinning (MAS) NMR study of electron correlations, magnetic ordering, and stability of lithium manganese(III) oxides. Chem. Mater. 12, 3871(2000)
42. Y.Y. Xia , M. Yoshio An investigation of lithium ion insertion into spinel structure Li-Mn-O compounds. J. Electrochem. Soc. 143, 825(1996)
43. M.N. Richard , I. Koetschau , J.R. Dahn A cell for in situ x-ray diffraction based on coin cell hardware and Bellcore plastic electrode technology. J. Electrochem. Soc. 144, 554(1997)
44. Y.J. Lee , F. Wang , S. Mukerjee , J. McBreen , C.P. Grey 6Li and 7Li magic-angle spinning nuclear magnetic resonance and in situ x-ray diffraction studies of the charging and discharging of LixMn2O4 at 4 V. J. Electrochem. Soc. 147, 803(2000)
45. M.H. Rossouw , M.M. Thackeray Lithium manganese oxides from Li2MnO3 for rechargeable lithium battery applications. Mater. Res. Bull. 26, 463(1991)
Email your librarian or administrator to recommend adding this journal to your organisation's collection.
- ISSN: 0884-2914
- EISSN: 2044-5326
- URL: /core/journals/journal-of-materials-research
Full text views
Full text views reflects the number of PDF downloads, PDFs sent to Google Drive, Dropbox and Kindle and HTML full text views.
Full text views reflects the number of PDF downloads, PDFs sent to Google Drive, Dropbox and Kindle and HTML full text views.
* Views captured on Cambridge Core between September 2016 - 17th October 2017. This data will be updated every 24 hours.