This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
8. D Getz . Event Management and Event Tourism, 2nd ed.New York, US: Cognizant Communications Corporation; 2005, 12,18.
13. ER Hawkins , JH Brice . Fire jumpers: description of burns and traumatic injuries from a spontaneous mass gathering and celebratory riot. J Emerg Med. 2010;38(2):182-187.
15. H Tavakoli , P Khashayar , H Ahmadi Amoli , et al. Firework-related injuries in Tehran's Persian Wednesday Eve Festival (Chaharshanbe Soori). J Emerg Med. 2011;40(3,2011):340-345.
16. S Saadat , M Naseripour , GA Smith . The health and economic impact of fireworks-related injuries in Iran: a household survey following the New Year's Festival in Tehran. Injury. 2010;41(7):e28-e33.
17. K Khan , ZA Memish , A Chabbra , et al. Global public health implications of a mass gathering in Mecca, Saudi Arabia during the midst of an influenza pandemic. J Travel Med. 2010;17(2):75-81.
19. A Faustini , C Marinacci , E Fabrizi , et al. The impact of the Catholic Jubilee in 2000 on infectious diseases. A case control study of giardiasis, Rome, Italy. Epidemiol-Infect. 2000-2001;134(3):649-658.
20. P Gautret , G Soula , J Delmont , P Parola , P Brouqui . Common health hazards in French pilgrims during the Hajj of 2007: a prospective cohort study. J Travel Med. 2007;16(6):377-381.
22. H Rashid , S Shafi , E Haworth , ZA Memish , EL Bashir , KA Ali , R Booy . Influenza vaccine in Hajj pilgrims: policy issues from field studies. Vaccine. 2008;26(37):4809-4812.
23. E Haworth , H Rashid , R Booy . Prevention of pandemic influenza after mass gatherings - learning from Hajj. J R Soc Med. 2010;103(3):7980.
24. P Gautret , W Yong , G Soula . Incidence of Hajj associated febrile cough episodes amongst French pilgrims: a prospective cohort study on the influence of statin use and risk factors. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2009;15(4):335-340.
25. H Rashid , S Shafi , E Haworth . Viral respiratory infections at the Hajj: comparison between UK and Saudi pilgrims. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2008;14(6):569-574.
26. A Wilder-Smith , W Foo , A Earnest , NI Paton . High risk of Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection during the Hajj pilgrimage. Trop Med Int Health. 2005;10(4):336-339.
28. SJM Hahne , SJ Gray , A Jean-Francois . W135 meningococcal disease in England and Wales associated with Hajj 2000 and 2001. Lancet. 2002;359(9306):582-583.
29. MI Issack , C Ragavoodoo . Hajj-related Neisseria Meningitidis Serogroup W135 in Mauritius. Emerg Infect Dis. 2002;8(3):332-334.
30. A Wilder-Smith . W135 meningococcal carriage in association with the Hajj pilgrimage 2001: the Singapore experience. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2003;21(2):112-115.
31. A Wilder-Smith , TMS Barkham , NL Paton , A Earnest . Meningococcal carriage in Umra pilgrims returning from Saudi Arabia. J Travel Medicine. 2003;10(3):147-149.
32. A Wilder-Smith , TMS Barkham , S Ravindran , A Earnest , N Paton . Persistence of W135 Neisseria meningitides carriage in returning Hajj pilgrims: risk for early and late transmission to household contacts. Emerg Infect Dis. 2003;9(1):123-126.
34. B Dixon . Mass gathering: mass effect? Lancet Infect Dis. 2010;10(10):662.
36. M Noweir , A Bafail , I Jomoah . Study of heat exposure at the Hajj (pilgrimage). Environ Monit Assess. 2008;147(1-3):279-295.
37. FM Burkle , EB Hsu . Ram Janki Temple: understanding human stampedes. Lancet. 2011;377(9760):106-107.
39. J Leeka , BG Schwartz , RA Kioner . Sporting events affect spectators’ cardiovascular mortality: it's not just a game. Am J Med. 2010;123(11):972-977.
43. LH Blumberg , A De Frey , J Frean , M Mendelson . The 2010 FIFA World Cup: communicable disease risks and advice for visitors in South Africa. J Travel Med. 2010;17(3):150-152.
44. KM Lai , C Bottomley , R McNerney . Propagation of respiratory aerosols by the vuvuzela. PloS One. 2011;6(5):e20086.
47. ME Pullman , MA Gross . Ability of experience design elements to elicit emotions and loyalty behaviours. Decision Sciences. 2004;35(3):551-578.
51. L Fredline , L Jago , M Deery . The development of generic scale to measure the social impacts of events. Event Management. 2003;8:23-37.
52. D Gursoy , K Kim , M Uysal . Perceived impacts of festivals and special events by organizers: an extension and validation. Tourism Management. 2004;25:171-181.
53. M Lewis , S Wolfson . We're still singing: World Cup football can be good for the health. Nurs. Stand. 2006;20(42):32.
54. M Larkin . Medical teams geared up for winter Olympics. Lancet. 2002;359(9304):412.
55. M Hills , G Tall . Health preparedness for the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games. Emerg Med Australas. 2003;15(1):106-107.
56. D Indig , S Thackway , L Jorm , A Salmon , T Owen . Illicit drug-related harm during the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games; implications for public health surveillance and action. Addiction. 2003;98(1):97-102.
57. LR Jorm , SV Thackway , TR Churches , MW Hills . Watching the games: public health surveillance for the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2003;57(2):102-108.
58. AM McNulty , R Rohrsheim , B Donovan . Demand for sexual health services during the Olympic Games: both sides of the Sherman effect. Int J STD AIDS. 2003;14(5):307-308.
59. SE Finn , J Coviello . Myocardial infarction and sudden death in recreational master marathon runners. Nurse Pract. 2011;36(2):48-53.
60. TR Sampson . Influence of environmental factors on morbidity at mass-gathering sporting events. Acad Emerg Med. 2005;12(1):88.
61. RW Kenefick , SN Cheuvront , MN Sawka . Thermoregulatory function during the marathon. Sports Med. 2007;37(4-5):312-315.
62. T Glassman , CE Werch , E Jobli , H Bian . Alcohol-related fan behaviour on college football game day. J Am Coll Health. 2007;56(3):255-260.
63. LJ Merlo , BK Ahmedani , DA Barondess , KM Bohnert , MS Gold . Alcohol consumption associated with collegiate American football pre-game festivities. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2011;116(1-3):242-245.
64. SB Chan , JE Quinn . Outcomes in EMS-transported attendees from events at a large indoor arena. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2003;7(3):332-335.
65. C Van Germert , P Dietze , J Gold . The Australian national binge drinking campaign: campaign recognition among young people at a music festival who report risky drinking. BMC Public Health. 2011;11(1):482.
70. MSC Lim , ME Hellard , CK Aitken , JS Hocking . Surveillance of STI risk amongst young people attending a music festival in Australia, 2005-2008. Aust N Z J Public Health. 2009;33(5):482-484.
A Hutton , S Brown , N Verdonk . Exploring culture: audience predispositions and consequent effects on audience behavior in a mass-gathering setting. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2013;28(3):1-6