This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. L Jones , JB Asare , M El Masri , A Mohanraj , H Sherief , M van Ommeren . Severe mental disorders in complex emergencies. Lancet. Aug 22 2009;374(9690):654–661.
8. J Asare , L Jones . Tackling mental health in Sierra Leone. BMJ. Oct 1 2005; 331(7519):720.
9. L Jones , A Rrustemi , M Shahini , A Uka . Mental health services for war-affected children: report of a survey in Kosovo. Br J Psychiatry. Dec 2003;183:540–546.
10. WJ Moss , M Ramakrishnan , D Storms , . Child health in complex emergencies. Bulletin of the World Health Organization. 2006;84:58–64.
11. K De Jong , RJ Kleber . Emergency conflict-related psychosocial interventions in Sierra Leone and Uganda: lessons from Medecins Sans Frontieres. J Health Psychol. May 2007;12(3):485–497.
12. F Baingana , P Ventevogel . Mental health and psychosocial interventions and their role in poverty alleviation. Proceedings of a conference. Intervention. 2008;6(2):167–173.
15. E Medeiros . Integrating mental health into post-conflict rehabilitation: the case of Sierra Leonean and Liberian ‘child soldiers’. J Health Psychol. May 2007;12(3):498–504.
19. CS Fullerton , DB Reissman , C Gray , BW Flynn , RJ Ursano . Earthquake response and psychosocial health outcomes: applying lessons from integrating systems of care and recovery to Haiti. Disaster Med Public Health Prep. Mar 2010;4(1):15–17.
20. L Stark . Cleansing the wounds of war: an examination of traditional healing, psychosocial health and reintegration in Sierra Leone. Intervention. 2006;4(3): 206–218.
22. L Gupta , C Zimmer . Psychosocial intervention for war-affected children in Sierra Leone. Br J Psychiatry. Mar 2008;192(3):212–216.
23. PM Kline , E Mone . Coping with War: Three Strategies Employed by Adolescent Citizens of Sierra Leone. Child and Adolescent Social Work Journal. 2003;20(5):321–333.
24. TS Betancourt , M Borisova de la Soudiere II, J Williamson . Sierra Leone's Child Soldiers: War Exposures and Mental Health Problems by Gender. J Adolesc Health. Jul 2011;49(1):21–28.
25. J Lekskes , S van Hooren , J de Beus . Appraisal of psychosocial interventions in Liberia. Intervention. 2007;5(1):18–26.
26. F Kigozi , J Ssebunnya , D Kizza , S Cooper , S Ndyanabangi . An overview of Uganda's mental health care system: results from an assessment using the world health organization's assessment instrument for mental health systems (WHO-AIMS). Int J Ment Health Syst. 2010;4(1):1.
28. R Dybdahl . Children and mothers in war: an outcome study of a psychosocial intervention program. Child Dev. Jul-Aug 2001;72(4):1214–1230.
29. V Patel , R Araya , S Chatterjee , . Treatment and prevention of mental disorders in low-income and middle-income countries. Lancet. Sep 15 2007;370(9591): 991–1005.
30. A Sumathipala , S Siribaddana . Research and clinical ethics after the tsunami: Sri Lanka. Lancet. Oct 22-28 2005;366(9495):1418–1420.
31. P Bolton . Cross-cultural validity and reliability testing of a standard psychiatric assessment instrument without a gold standard. J Nerv Ment Dis. Apr 2001;189(4): 238–242.
32. D Guha-Sapir , W van Panhuis , J Lagoutte . Aid after disasters: evidence for psychosocial services needs strengthening. BMJ. Jul 2 2005;331(7507):50.
33. CM Layne , WR Saltzman , L Poppleton , . Effectiveness of a school-based group psychotherapy program for war-exposed adolescents: a randomized controlled trial. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. Sep 2008;47(9):1048–1062.
34. MJ Jordans , IH Komproe , WA Tol , . Evaluation of a classroom-based psychosocial intervention in conflict-affected Nepal: a cluster randomized controlled trial. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. Jul 2010;51(7):818–826.
35. WA Tol , IH Komproe , MJ Jordans , SB Thapa , B Sharma , JT De Jong . Brief multi-disciplinary treatment for torture survivors in Nepal: a naturalistic comparative study. Int J Soc Psychiatry. Jan 2009;55(1):39–56.
36. ES Rolfsnes , T Idsoe . School-based intervention programs for PTSD symptoms: a review and meta-analysis. J Trauma Stress. Apr 2011;24(2):155–165.
37. EG Karam , J Fayyad , A Nasser Karam , . Effectiveness and specificity of a classroom-based group intervention in children and adolescents exposed to war in Lebanon. World Psychiatry. 2008;7(2):103–109.