2. L Bacon & L Aphramor (2011) Weight science: evaluating the evidence for a paradigm shift. Nutr J 10, 9.
3.National Institutes of Health Technology Assessment Conference Panel (1993) Methods for voluntary weight loss and control. Ann Intern Med 119, 764–770.
4. JP Montani , AK Viecelli , A Prévot (2006) Weight cycling during growth and beyond as a risk factor for later cardiovascular diseases: the ‘repeated overshoot’ theory. Int J Obes 30, Suppl. 4, S58–S66.
5. J Kruger , DA Galuska , MK Serdula (2004) Attempting to lose weight: specific practices among U.S. adults. Am J Prev Med 26, 402–406.
6. H Bendixen , J Madsen , D Bay-Hansen (2002) An observational study of slimming behavior in Denmark in 1992 and 1998. Obes Res 10, 911–922.
7. M Lahti-Koski , S Mannisto , P Pietinen (2005) Prevalence of weight cycling and its relation to health indicators in Finland. Obes Res 13, 333–341.
8. T Mann , AJ Tomiyama , E Westling (2007) Medicare's search for effective obesity treatments: diets are not the answer. Am Psychol 62, 220–233.
10.National Task Force on the Prevention and Treatment of Obesity (1994) Weight cycling. JAMA 272, 1196–1202.
13. EH Coakley , EB Rimm , G Colditz (1998) Predictors of weight change in men: results from the Health Professionals Follow-up Study. Int J Obes 22, 89–96.
14. MT McGuire , RR Wing , JO Hill (1999) What predicts weight gain in a group of successful weight losers? J Consult Clin Psychol 67, 177–185.
15. E Stice , RP Cameron , JD Killen (1999) Naturalistic weight-reduction efforts prospectively predict growth in relative weight and onset of obesity among female adolescents. J Consult Clin Psychol 67, 967–974.
17. J Juhaeri , J Stevens , LE Chambless (2001) Weight change among self-reported dieters and non-dieters in white and African American men and women. Eur J Epidemiol 17, 917–923.
18. A Kroke , AD Liese , M Schulz (2002) Recent weight changes and weight cycling as predictors of subsequent two year weight change in a middle-aged cohort. Int J Obes 26, 403–409.
19. V Drapeau , V Provencher , S Lemieux (2003) Do 6-y changes in eating behaviours predict changes in body weight? Results from the Quebec Family Study. Int J Obes 27, 808–814.
20. N Vogels , K Diepvens & MS Westerterp-Plantenga (2005) Predictors of long-term weight maintenance. Obes Res 13, 2162–2168.
21. AE Field , P Aneja , SB Austin (2007) Race and gender differences in the association of dieting and gains in BMI among young adults. Obesity 15, 456–464.
22. D Neumark-Sztainer , M Wall , J Haines (2007) Why does dieting predict weight gain in adolescents? Findings from project EAT-II: a 5-year longitudinal study. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 448–455.
23. AE Field , S Malspeis & WC Willett (2009) Weight cycling and mortality among middle-aged or older women. Arch Intern Med 169, 881–886.
24. KH Pietiläinen , SE Saarni , J Kaprio (2011) Does dieting make you fat? A twin study. Int J Obes 36, 456–464.
25. SE Saarni , A Rissanen , S Sarna (2006) Weight cycling of athletes and subsequent weight gain in middleage. Int J Obes 30, 1639–1644.
29. A Keski-Rahkonen , BM Neale , CM Bulik (2005) Intentional weight loss in young adults: sex-specific genetic and environmental effects. Obes Res 13, 745–753.
36. BC Nindl , KE Friedl , PN Frykman (1997) Physical performance and metabolic recovery among lean, healthy men following a prolonged energy deficit. Int J Sports Med 18, 317–324.
39. J Polivy & CP Herman (1985) Dieting and bingeing: a causal analysis. Am Psychol 40, 193–201.
44. AG Dulloo (1997) Regulation of body composition during weight recovery: integrating the control of energy partitioning and thermogenesis. Clin Nutr 16, Suppl. 1, 25–35.
48. A Luke & DA Schoeller (1992) Basal metabolic rate, fat-free mass, and body cell mass during energy restriction. Metabolism 41, 450–456.
49. GC Major , E Doucet , P Trayhurn (2007) Clinical significance of adaptive thermogenesis. Int J Obes 31, 204–212.
51. AG Dulloo & J Jacquet (2001) An adipose-specific control of thermogenesis in body weight regulation. Int J Obes 25, Suppl, 5, S22–S29.
54. HR Kissileff , JC Thornton , MI Torres (2012) Leptin reverses declines in satiation in weight-reduced obese humans. Am J Clin Nutr 95, 309–317.
59. P Trayhurn , CA Drevon & J Eckel (2011) Secreted proteins from adipose tissue and skeletal muscle – adipokines, myokines and adipose/muscle cross-talk. Arch Physiol Biochem 117, 47–56.
60. GB Forbes (1987) Lean body mass-body fat interrelationships in humans. Nutr Rev 45, 225–231.
61. TA Wadden , GD Foster , AJ Stunkard (1996) Effects of weight cycling on the resting energy expenditure and body composition of obese women. Int J Eat Disord 19, 5–12.
63. AG Dulloo , J Jacquet , J Seydoux (2006) The thrifty ‘catch-up fat’ phenotype: its impact on insulin sensitivity during growth trajectories to obesity and metabolic syndrome. Int J Obes 30, Suppl. 4, S23–S35.