This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. AH Mokdad , JS Marks , DF Stroup & JL Gerberding (2004) Actual causes of death in the United States, 2000. JAMA 291, 1238–1245.
2. CP Wen , SP Tsai , CJ Chen , TY Cheng , MC Tsai & D Levy (2005) Smoking attributable mortality for Taiwan and its projection to 2020 under different smoking scenarios. Tobacco Control 14, Suppl. 1, i76–i80.
4. EE Calle , LR Teras & MJ Thun (2005) Obesity and mortality. N Engl J Med 353, 2197–2199.
6. KM Flegal , BI Graubard , DF Williamson & MH Gail (2005) Excess deaths associated with underweight, overweight, and obesity. JAMA 293, 1861–1867.
7. KM Flegal , BI Graubard , DF Williamson & MH Gail (2007) Cause-specific excess deaths associated with underweight, overweight, and obesity. JAMA 298, 2028–2037.
8. DB Allison , KR Fontaine , JE Manson , J Stevens & TB VanItallie (1999) Annual deaths attributable to obesity in the United States. JAMA 282, 1530–1538.
9. KM Flegal , BI Graubard & DF Williamson (2004) Methods of calculating deaths attributable to obesity. Am J Epidemiol 160, 331–338.
10. DH Mark (2005) Deaths attributable to obesity. JAMA 293, 1918–1919.
11. JR Banegas , E López-García , JL Gutiérrez-Fisac , P Guallar-Castillón & F Rodríguez-Artalejo (2007) A simple estimate of mortality attributable to excess weight in the European Union. Eur J Clin Nutr 57, 201–208.
13. M Deurenberg-Yap , SK Chew & P Deurenberg (2002) Elevated body fat percentage and cardiovascular risks at low body mass index levels among Singaporean Chinese, Malays and Indians. Obes Rev 3, 209–215.
14. S Guricci , Y Hartriyanti , JGAJ Hautvast & P Durenberg (1998) Relationship between body fat and body mass index: differences between Indonesians and Dutch Caucasians. Eur J Clin Nutr 52, 779–783.
15. DW Haslam & WPT James (2005) Obesity. Lancet 366, 1197–1209.
17. SH Jee , JW Sull , J Park , SY Lee , H Ohrr , E Guallar & JM Samet (2006) Body-mass index and mortality in Korean men and women. N Engl J Med 355, 779–787.
19. K Shiwaku , E Anuurad , B Enkhmaa , A Nogi , K Kitajima , K Shimono , Y Yamane & T Oyunsuren (2004) Overweight Japanese with body mass indexes of 23.0 to 24.9 have higher risks for obesity associated disorders: a comparison of Japanese and Mongolians. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28, 152–158.
20. WY Lin , LT Lee , CY Chen , H Lo , HH Hsia , IL Liu , RS Lin , WY Shau & KC Huang (2002) Optimal cut-off values for obesity: using simple anthropometric indices to predict cardiovascular risk factors in Taiwan. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26, 1232–1238.
21. D Gu , J He , X Duan , R Reynolds , X Wu , J Chen , G Huang , CS Chen & PK Whelton (2006) Body weight and mortality among men and women in China. JAMA 295, 776–783.
23. WPT James (2005) Assessing obesity: are ethnic differences in body mass index and waist classification criteria justified? Obes Rev 6, 179–181.
24. SW Oh , SA Shin , YH Yun , T Yoo & BY Huh (2004) Cut-off point of BMI and obesity-related comorbidities and mortality in middle-aged Koreans. Obes Rev 12, 2031–2040.
26.WHO Expert Consultation (2004) Appropriate body-mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies. Lancet 363, 157–163.
28. DL McGee ; Diverse Populations Collaboration (2005) Body mass index and mortality: a meta-analysis based on person-level data from twenty-six observational studies. Ann Epidemiol 15, 87–97.
29. JT Gronniger (2006) A semiparametric analysis of the relationship of body mass Index to mortality. Am J Public Health 96, 173–178.
30. EE Calle , MJ Thun , JM Petrelli , C Rodriguez & CW Heath Jr (1999) Body-mass index and mortality in a prospective cohort of US adults. N Engl J Med 341, 1097–1105.
31. JE Manson , WC Willett , MJ Stampfer , GA Colditz , DJ Hunter , SE Hankinson , CH Hennekens & FE Speizer (1995) Body weight and mortality among women. N Engl J Med 333, 677–685.
32. UA Ajani , PA Lotufo , JM Gaziano , I-M Lee , A Spelsberg , JE Buring , WC Willett & JE Manson (2004) Body mass index and mortality among US male physicians. Ann Epidemiol 14, 731–739.
33. SP Tsai , RP Donnelly & JK Wendt (2006) Overweight, obesity, and mortality in a prospective study of a middle-aged industrial population. J Occup Environ Med 48, 22–27.
36. CP Wen , SP Tsai , CJ Chen & TY Cheng (2004) The mortality risks of smokers in Taiwan. Part I: cause-specific mortality. Prev Med 39, 528–535.
37. CP Wen , TY Cheng , SP Tsai , HL Hsu & SL Wang (2005) Increased mortality risks of pre-diabetes (impaired fasting glucose) in Taiwan. Diabetes Care 28, 2756–2761.
38. CP Wen , SP Tsai , TY Cheng , WSI Chung , HT Jan & CJ Chen (2005) Excess injury mortality among smokers – a neglected tobacco hazard. Tobacco Control 14, i28–i32.
40. KM Flegal , MD Carroll , CL Ogden & CL Johnson (2002) Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999–2000. JAMA 288, 1723–1727.
41. PT Katzmarzyk , CL Craig & C Bouchard (2001) Underweight, overweight and obesity: relationships with mortality in the 13-year follow-up of the Canada Fitness Survey. J Clin Epidemiol 54, 916–920.
42. J He , D Gu , X Wu (2005) Major causes of death among men and women in China. N Engl J Med 353, 1124–1134.
43. D Gu , K Reynolds , X Wu , J Chen , X Duan , RF Reynolds , PK Whelton & J He ; InterASIA Collaborative Group (2005) Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome and overweight among adults in China. Lancet 365, 1398–1405.
45. P Deurenberg , M Deurenberg-Yap & S Guricci (2002) Asians are different from Caucasians and from each other in their body mass index/body fat per cent relationship. Obes Rev 3, 141–146.
46. JM Yuan , RK Ross , YT Gao & MC Yu (1998) Body weight and mortality: a prospective evaluation in a cohort of middle-aged men in Shanghai, China. Int J Epidemiol 27, 824–832.
47. GTC Ko , JCN Chan , CS Cockram & J Woo (1999) Prediction of hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidaemia or albuminuria, using simple anthropometric indexes in Hong Kong Chinese. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 23, 1136–1142.