This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. ME Jørgensen , P Bjerregaard & K Borch-Johnsen (2002) Diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance among the Inuit population of Greenland. Diabetes Care 25, 1766–1771.
3. P Bjerregaard , HS Pedersen & G Mulvad (2000) The associations of a marine diet with plasma lipids, blood glucose, blood pressure and obesity among the Inuit in Greenland. Eur J Clin Nutr 54, 732–737.
4. AI Adler , EJ Boyko , CD Schraer et al. (1994) Lower prevalence of impaired glucose tolerance and diabetes associated with daily seal oil or salmon consumption among Alaska Natives. Diabetes Care 17, 1498–1501.
5. G Riccardi , R Giacco & AA Rivellese (2004) Dietary fat, insulin sensitivity and the metabolic syndrome. Clin Nutr 23, 447–456.
6. A Ramel , A Martinez , M Kiely et al. (2008) Beneficial effects of long-chain n-3 fatty acids included in a energy-restricted diet on insulin resistance in overweight and obese European young adults. Diabetologia 51, 1261–1268.
7. PD Tsitouras , F Gucciardo , AD Salbe et al. (2008) High omega-3 fat intake improves insulin sensitivity and reduces CRP and IL6, but does not affect other endocrine axes in healthy older adults. Horm Metab Res 40, 199–205.
8. R Giacco , V Cuomo , B Veesby et al. (2007) Fish oil, insulin sensitivity, insulin secretion and glucose tolerance in healthy people: is there any effect of fish oil supplementation in relation to the type of background diet and habitual dietary intake of n-6 and n-3 fatty acids? Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 17, 572–580.
10. RM van Dam , EB Rimm , WC Willet et al. (2002) Dietary patterns and risk for type 2 diabetes mellitus in US men. Ann Intern Med 136, 201–209.
11. JA Nettleton , LM Steffen , H Ni et al. (2008) Dietary patterns and risk of incident type 2 diabetes in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Diabetes Care 31, 1777–1782.
12. SN Bhupathiraju , AH Lichtenstein , B Dawson-Hughes et al. (2011) Adherence Index based on the AHA 2006 Diet and Lifestyle Recommendations is associated with select caridovascular disease risk factors in older Puerto Ricans. J Nutr 141, 460–469.
13. S Eilat-Adar , M Mete , ED Nobmann et al. (2009) Dietary patterns are linked to cardiovascular risk factors but not to inflammatory markers in Alaska Eskimos. J Nutr 139, 2322–2328.
19. P Bjerregaard & C Jeppesen (2010) Inuit dietary patterns in modern Greenland. Int J Circumpolar Health 69, 13–24.
21. C Weyer , C Bogardus , DM Mott et al. (1999) The natural history of insulin secretory dysfunction and insulin resistance in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Clin Invest 104, 787–794.
22. K Faerch , A Vaag , JJ Holst et al. (2008) Impaired fasting glycaemia vs impaired glucose tolerance: similar impairment of pancreatic alpha and beta cell function but differential roles of incretin hormones and insulin action. Diabetologia 51, 853–861.
25. JW Williams , PZ Zimmet , JE Shaw et al. (2003) Gender differences in the prevalence of impaired fasting glycaemia and impaired glucose tolerance in Mauritius. Does sex matter? Diabet Med 20, 915–920.
26. K Faerch , A Vaag , JJ Holst et al. (2009) Natural history of insulin sensitivity and insulin secretion in the progression from normal glucose tolerance to impaired fasting glycemia and impaired glucose tolerance: The Inter99 Study. Diabetes Care 32, 439–444.
27. M Taouis , C Dagou , C Ster et al. (2002) n-3 Polyunsaturated fatty acids prevent the defect of insulin receptor signaling in muscle. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 282, E664–E671.
28. R Stettler , M Ith , K Acheson et al. (2005) Interaction between dietary lipids and physical inactivity on insulin sensitivity and on intramyocellular lipids in healthy men. Diabetes Care 28, 1404–1409.
29. C Weyer , PA Tataranni , C Bogardus et al. (2000) Insulin resistance and insulin secretory dysfunction are independent predictors of worsening of glucose tolerance during each stage of type 2 diabetes development. Diabetes Care 24, 89–94.
30. ME Jørgensen , K Borch-Johnsen & P Bjerregaard (2008) A cross-sectional study of the association between persistent organic pollutants and glucose intolerance among Greenland Inuit. Diabetologia 51, 1416–1422.
31. C Willi , P Bodenmann , WA Ghali et al. (2007) Active smoking and the risk of type 2 diabetes. A systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 298, 2654–2664.
33. TS Han , EJ Feskens , ME Lean et al. (1998) Associations of body composition with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabet Med 15, 129–135.
34. G Vasquez , S Durval , DRJ Jacobs et al. (2007) Comparison of body mass index, waist circumference and waist/hip ratio in predicting incident diabetes: a meta-analysis. Epidemiol Rev 29, 115–128.
35. G Charbonneau-Roberts , TK Young & GM Egeland (2007) Inuit anthropometry and insulin resistance. Int J Circumpolar Health 66, 129–134.
37. NJ Murphy , CD Schraer , MC Thiele et al. (1995) Dietary change and obesity associated with glucose intolerance in Alaska natives. J Am Diet Assoc 95, 676–682.