This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. W Hoy , M Rees , E Kile , J Mathews & Z Wang (1999) A new dimension to the Barker hypothesis: low birthweight and susceptibility to renal disease. Kidney Int 56, 1072–1077.
5. C O’Leary (2004) Fetal alcohol syndrome: diagnosis, epidemiology, and developmental outcomes. J Paediatr Child Health 40, 2–7.
6. J Dejmek , Y Solansky , K Podrazilova & R Sram (2002) The exposure of nonsmoking and smoking mothers to environmental tobacco smoke during different gestational phases and fetal growth. Environ Health Perspect 110, 601–606.
8. D Leonard , R McDermott , K O’Dea , K Rowley & P Pensio (2002) Obesity, diabetes and associated cardiovascular risk factors among Torres Strait Islander people. Aust N Z J Public Health 26, 144–149.
9. M Daniel , K Rowley , R McDermott & K O’Dea (2002) Diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance in Australian Aborigines: prevalence and risk. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 57, 23–33.
10. G Miller , R McDermott , B McCulloch , C Fairley & R Muller (2003) High prevalence of bacterial STI among young disadvantaged indigenous people in north Queensland, Australia. Sex Transm Infect 79, 332–335.
11. M Coory , R Hockey , V Flenady & P Woodgate (2006) Post-neonatal mortality by rurality and indigenous status in Queensland. J Paediatr Child Health 42, 464–468.
13. KR Harris & IK Bucens (2003) Prevalence of fetal alcohol syndrome in the top end of the northern territory. J Paediatr Child Health 39, 528–533.
14. K Coyne , C De Costa , R Heazlewood & H Newman (2008) Pregnancy characteristics of women giving birth to children with fetal alcohol syndrome in Far North Queensland. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 48, 240–247.
15. G Miller , R McDermott , B McCulloch , D Leonard , K Arabena & R Muller (2002) The Well Persons Health Check: a population screening program in indigenous communities in north Queensland. Aust Health Rev 25, 140–151.
18. C Hatzis , G Bertsias , M Linardakis , J Scott & A Kafatos (2006) Dietary and other lifestyle correlates of serum folate concentrations in a healthy adult population in Crete, Greece: a cross-sectional study. Nutr J 5, 5.
20. E Barr , D Magliano , P Zimmet , K Polkinghorne , R Atkins , D Dunstan , S Murray & J Shaw (2006) AusDIAB Report. Melbourne: International Diabetes Institute.
21. I McMillen & J Robinson (2005) Developmental origins of the metabolic syndrome: prediction, plasticity and programming. Physiol Rev 85, 571–633.
23. F Ismail-Beigi , PM Catalano & RW Hanson (2006) Metabolic programming: fetal origins of obesity and metabolic syndrome in the adult. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 291, E439–E440.
24. CM Boney , A Verma , R Tucker & BR Vohr (2005) Metabolic syndrome in childhood: association with birth weight, maternal obesity, and gestational diabetes mellitus. Pediatrics 115, e290–e296.
25. R Bukowski , GCS Smith , FD Malone .; FASTER Research Consortium (2007) Fetal growth in early pregnancy and risk of delivering low birth weight infant: prospective cohort study. BMJ 334, 836.
27. K Sayal , J Heron , J Golding , R Alati , GD Smith , R Gray & A Emond (2009) Binge pattern of alcohol consumption during pregnancy and childhood mental health outcomes: longitudinal population-based study. Pediatrics 123, e289–e296.
28. R Alati , A Al Mamun , GM Williams , M O’Callaghan , JM Najman & W Bor (2006) In utero alcohol exposure and prediction of alcohol disorders in early adulthood: a birth cohort study. Arch Gen Psychiatry 63, 1009–1016.
29. S Lee , C Blanton & C Rivier (2003) Prenatal ethanol exposure alters the responsiveness of the rat hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal axis to nitric oxide. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 27, 962–969.
30. R Andres & N Day (2000) Perinatal complications associated with maternal tobacco use. Semin Neonatol 5, 231–241.
31. FD Gilliland , K Berhane , R McConnell , WJ Gauderman , H Vora , EB Rappaport , E Avol & JM Peters (2000) Maternal smoking during pregnancy, environmental tobacco smoke exposure and childhood lung function. Thorax 55, 271–276.
35. R Ivers , A Castro , D Parfitt , R Bailie , R D’Abbs & R Richmond (2006) Evaluation of a multi-component community tobacco intervention in three remote Australian Aboriginal communities. Aust N Z J Public Health 30, 132–136.
36. E D’Espaignet , M Measey , M Carnegie & D Mackerras (2003) Monitoring the ‘Strong Women, Strong Babies, Strong Culture Program’: the first eight years. J Paediatr Child Health 39, 668–672.
39. NC Campbell , E Murray , J Darbyshire , J Emery , A Farmer , F Griffiths , B Guthrie , H Lester , P Wilson & AL Kinmonth (2007) Designing and evaluating complex interventions to improve health care. BMJ 334, 455–459.