This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. ESPGHAN Committee on Nutrition: C Agostoni , C Braegger , T Decsi et al. (2009) Breast-feeding: a commentary by the ESPGHAN Committee on Nutrition. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 49, 112–125.
2. F Ladomenou , J Moschandreas , A Kafatos et al. (2010) Protective effect of exclusive breastfeeding against infections during infancy: a prospective study. Arch Dis Child 95, 1004–1008.
3. ME McNiel , MH Labbok & SW Abrahams (2010) What are the risks associated with formula feeding? A re-analysis and review. Birth 37, 50–58.
5. MS Kramer (1981) Do breast-feeding and delayed introduction of solid foods protect against subsequent obesity? J Pediatr 98, 883–887.
6. S Arenz , R Ruckerl , B Koletzko et al. (2004) Breastfeeding and childhood obesity – systematic review. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28, 1247–1256.
7. T Harder , R Bergmann , G Kallischnigg et al. (2005) Duration of breastfeeding and risk of overweight: a meta-analysis. Am J Epidemiol 162, 397–403.
8. R von Kries , B Doletzko , T Sauerwald et al. (1999) Breast feeding and obesity: cross sectional study. BMJ 319, 147–150.
9. JG Woo , LM Dolan , AL Morrow et al. (2008) Breastfeeding helps explain racial and socioeconomic status disparities in adolescent adiposity. Pediatrics 121, 458–465.
10. MW Gillman , SL Rifas-Shiman , CA Camargo et al. (2001) Risk of overweight among adolescents who were breastfed as infants. JAMA 285, 2461–2467.
12. KA Seach , SC Dharmage , AJ Lowe et al. (2010) Delayed introduction of solid feeding reduces child overweight and obesity at 10 years. Int J Obes (Lond) 34, 1475–1479.
13. K Huus , JF Ludvigsson , K Enskär et al. (2008) Exclusive breastfeeding of Swedish children and its possible influence on the development of obesity: a prospective cohort study. BMC Pediatr 8, 42–47.
15. KB Michels , WC Willett , BI Graubard et al. (2007) A longitudinal study of infant feeding and obesity throughout life course. Int J Obes (Lond) 31, 1078–1085.
20. W Ahrens , K Bammann , A Siani et al. (2011) The IDEFICS study: design, characteristics and participation in the baseline survey. Int J Obes (Lond) 35, Suppl. 1, S3–S15.
21. LJ Launer , MR Forman , GL Hundt et al. (1992) Maternal recall of infant feeding events is accurate. J Epidemiol Community Health 46, 203–206.
22. JHE Promislow , BC Gladen & DP Sandler (2005) Maternal recall of breastfeeding duration by elderly women. Am J Epidemiol 161, 289–296.
23. R Li , KS Scanlon & MK Serdula (2005) The validity and reliability of maternal recall of breastfeeding practice. Nutr Rev 63, 103–110.
24. K Bammann , J Peplies , M Sjöström et al. (2006) Assessment of diet, physical activity and biological, social and environmental factors in a multi-centre European project on diet- and lifestyle-related disorders in children (IDEFICS). Public Health 14, 279–289.
25. S Stomfai , W Ahrens , K Bammann et al. on behalf of the IDEFICS Consortium (2011) Intra- and inter-observer reliability in anthropometric measurements in children. Int J Obes (Lond) 35, Suppl. 1, S45–S51.
26. TJ Cole , MC Bellizzi , KM Flegal et al. (2000) Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ 320, 1240–1243.
28. W Yan , H Bingxian , Y Hua et al. (2007) Waist-to-height ratio is an accurate and easier index for evaluating obesity in children and adolescents. Obesity (Silver Spring) 15, 748–752.
30. A Beyerlein & R von Kries (2011) Breastfeeding and body composition in children: will there ever be conclusive empirical evidence for a protective effect against overweight? Am J Clin Nutr 94, 6 Suppl., 1772S–1775S.
31. LM Grummer-Strawn & Z Mei (2004) Does breastfeeding protect against pediatric overweight? Analysis of Longitudinal Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Pediatric Nutrition Surveillance System. Pediatrics 113, e81–e86.
33. JO Fisher , LL Birch , H Smiciklas-Wright et al. (2000) Breastfeeding through the first year predicts maternal control in feeding and subsequent toddler energy intakes. J Am Diet Assoc 100, 641–646.
34. L Salmenperä , J Perheentupa , MA Siimes et al. (1988) Effects of feeding regimen on blood glucose levels and plasma concentrations of pancreatic hormones and gut regulatory peptides at 9 months of age: comparison between infants fed with milk formula and infants exclusively breast-fed from birth. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 7, 651–656.
35. A Singhal , K Kennedy , J Lanigan et al. (2010) Nutrition in infancy and long-term risk of obesity: evidence from 2 randomized controlled trials. Am J Clin Nutr 92, 1133–1144.
37. P Socha , V Grote , D Gruszfeld et al. for the European Childhood Obesity Trial Study Group (2011) Milk protein intake, the metabolic-endocrine response, and growth in infancy: data from a randomized clinical trial. Am J Clin Nutr 94, 6 Suppl., 1776S–1784S.
38. D Herrmann , M Suling , L Reisch et al. (2005) Repeatability of maternal report on prenatal, perinatal and early postnatal factors: findings from the IDEFICS parental questionnaire. Int J Obes (Lond) 35, Suppl. 1, S52–S60.