This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. N Stettler , BS Zemel , S Kumanyika & VA Stallings (2001) Infant weight gain and childhood overweight status in a multicenter cohort study. Pediatrics 109, 194–199.
2. N Stettler , P Bovet , H Shamlaye , BS Zemel , VA Stallings & F Paccaud (2002) Prevalence and risk factors for overweight and obesity in children from Seychelles, a country in rapid transition: the importance of early growth. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26, 214–219.
3. N Stettler , VA Stallings , AB Troxel , J Zhao , R Schinnar , SE Nelson , EE Ziegler & BL Strom (2005) Weight gain in the first week of life and overweight in adulthood. A cohort study of European American subjects fed infant formula. Circulation 111, 1897–1903.
4. KK Ong & RJ Loos (2006) Rapid infancy weight gain and subsequent obesity: systematic reviews and hopeful suggestions. Acta Paediatr 95, 904–908.
6. H Atladottir & I Thorsdottir (2000) Energy intake and growth of infants in Iceland – a population with high frequency of breast-feeding and high birth weight. Eur J Clin Nutr 54, 695–701.
7. GA Nielsen , BL Thomsen & KF Michaelsen (1998) Influence of breastfeeding and complementary food on growth between 5 and 10 months. Acta Paediatr 87, 911–917.
9. MW Gillman , SL Rifas-Shiman , CA Camargo , CS Berkey , AL Frazier , HR Rockett , AE Field & GA Colditz (2001) Risk of overweight among adolescents who were breastfed as infants. JAMA 285, 2461–2467.
10. R von Kries , B Koletzko , T Sauerwald , E von Mutius , D Barnert , V Grunert & H von Voss (1999) Breast feeding and obesity: cross sectional study. BMJ 319, 147–150.
11. T Harder , R Bergmann , G Kallischnigg & A Plagemann (2005) Duration of breastfeeding and risk of overweight: a meta-analysis. Am J Epidemiol 162, 397–403.
12. I Gunnarsdottir & I Thorsdottir (2003) Relationship between growth and feeding in infancy and body mass index at the age of 6 years. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 27, 1523–1527.
18. J Freeman , TJ Cole , S Chinn , PRM Jones , EM White & MA Preece (1995) Cross-sectional stature and weight reference curves for the UK 1990. Arch Dis Child 73, 17–24.
19. TJ Cole , JV Freeman & MA Preece (1990) Body mass index reference curves for the UK. Arch Dis Child 73, 25–29.
24. S Scholtens , U Gehring , B Brunekreef , HA Smit , JC de Jongste , M Kerkhof , J Gerritsen & AH Wijga (2007) Breastfeeding, weight gain in infancy, and overweight at seven years of age: the prevention and incidence of asthma and mite allergy birth cohort study. Am J Epidemiol 165, 919–926.
25. M Weyermann , D Rothenbacher & H Brenner (2006) Duration of breastfeeding and risk of overweight in childhood: a prospective birth cohort study from Germany. Int J Obes (Lond) 30, 1281–1287.
29. E Johannsson , SA Arngrimsson , I Thorsdottir & T Sveinsson (2006) Tracking of overweight from early childhood to adolescence in cohorts born 1988 and 1994: overweight in a high birth weight population. Int J Obes (Lond) 30, 1265–1271.
34. DA Leon , HO Lithell , D Vågerö , I Koupilová , R Mohsen , L Berglund , UB Lithell & PM McKeigue (1998) Reduced fetal growth rate and increased risk of death from ischaemic heart disease: cohort study of 15 000 Swedish men and women born 1915–29. BMJ 317, 241–245.
35. JG Eriksson , T Forsén , J Tuomilehto , C Osmond & DJP Barker (2001) Early growth and coronary heart disease in later life: longitudinal study. BMJ 322, 949–953.
36. HT Sørensen , S Sabroe , KJ Rothman , M Gillman , P Fischer & TI Sørensen (1997) Relation between weight and length at birth and body mass index in young adulthood: cohort study. BMJ 315, 1137.
37. J Eriksson , T Forsén , J Tuomilehto , C Osmond & D Barker (2001) Size at birth, childhood growth and obesity in adult life. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25, 735–740.
38. I Gunnarsdottir , BE Birgisdottir , R Benediktsson , V Gudnason & I Thorsdottir (2004) Association between size at birth, truncal fat and obesity in adult life and its contribution to blood pressure and coronary heart disease; study in a high birth weight population. Eur J Clin Nutr 58, 812–818.
39. S Rugholm , JL Baker , LW Olsen , L Schack-Nielsen , J Bua & TI Sørensen (2005) Stability of the association between birth weight and childhood overweight during the development of the obesity epidemic. Obes Res 13, 2187–2194.