This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. GA Bray , S Paeratakul & BM Popkin (2004) Dietary fat and obesity: a review of animal, clinical and epidemiological studies. Physiol Behav 83, 549–555.
4. C Pedone , S Urbinati , MG Pallotti & G Pinelle (2005) Cardiovascular disease: expected and unexpected relationship. Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 64, 38–41.
5. EA Lew & L Garfinkel (1979) Variation in mortality by weight among 750 000 men and women. J Chronic Dis 32, 563–576.
6. SD Poppitt & AM Prentice (1996) Energy density and its role in the control of food intake: evidence from metabolic and community studies. Appetite 26, 153–174.
8. P Jones & DA Schoeller (1988) Polyunsaturated:saturated ratio of diet fat influences energy substrate utilization in the human. Metabolism 37, 145–151.
12. JC Peters , BN Holcombe , LK Hiller & DR Webb (1991) Absorption and caloric value in adult humans. J Am Coll Toxicol 10, 357–367.
16. H Schröder (2007) Protective mechanisms of the Mediterranean diet in obesity and type 2 diabetes. J Nutr Biochem 18, 149–160.
19. P Flachs , O Horakova , P Brauner , M Rossmeisl , P Pecina & Hal Franssen-van (2005) Polyunsaturated fatty acids of marine origin upregulate mitochondrial biogenesis and induce β-oxidation in white fat. Diabetologia 48, 2365–2375.
21. CJ Lovejoy , RS Smith , MC Champagne , MM Most , M Lefevre , PJ DeLany , MY Denkins , CJ Rood , J Veldhuis & AG Bray (2002) Effects of diets enriched in saturated (palmitic), monounsaturated (oleic), or trans (elaidic) fatty acids on insulin sensitivity and substrate oxidation in healthy adults. Diabetes Care 25, 1283–1288.
23. E Doucet , N Alméras , MD White , JP Despres , C Bouchard & A Tremblay (1998) Dietary fat composition and human adiposity. Eur J Clin Nutr 52, 2–6.
27. EJ Brunner , H Wunsuch & MG Marmot (2001) What is an optimal diet? Relationship of macronutrient intake to obesity, glucose tolerance, lipoprotein levels and the metabolic syndrome in the Whitehall II study. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25, 45–53.
28. J Sundstrom , L Lars , V Bengt , A Bertil , A Antti & L Hans (2001) Dyslipidemia and an unfavourable fatty acid profile predict left ventricular hypertrophy 20 years later. Circulation 103, 836–841.
29. M Bes-Rastrollo , A Sanchez-Villegas , C de la Fuente , J de Irala , JA Martinez & MA Martinez-Gonzalez (2006) Olive oil consumption and weight change: the SUN prospective cohort study. Lipids 41, 249–256.
35. DB Panagiotakos , C Chrysohoou , C Pitsavos & C Stefanadis (2006) Association between the prevalence of obesity and adherence to the Mediterranean diet: the ATTICA study. Nutrition 22, 449–456.
36. A Trichopoulou , C Gnardellis , V Benetou , P Lagiou , C Bamia & D Trichopoulos (2002) Lipid, protein and carbohydrate intake in relation to body mass index. Eur J Clin Nutr 56, 37–43.
42. C Bouchard , JP Despres & P Mauriege (1993) Genetic and nongenetic determinants of regional fat distribution. Endocrinol Rev 14, 72–93.
43. M Guzman , J Lo Verme , J Fu , F Oveisi , C Blazquez & D Piomelli (2004) Oleoylethanolamide stimulates lipolysis by activating the nuclear receptor peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor α (PPAR-α). J Biol Chem 279, 27849–27854.
44. N Tsunoda , S Ikemoto , M Takahashi , K Maruyama , H Watanabe , N Goto & O Ezaki (1998) High-monounsaturated fat diet-induced obesity and diabetes in C57BL/6J mice. Metabolism 47, 724–730.
46. G Ailhaud , F Massiera , P Weill , P Legrand , JM Alessandri & P Guesnet (2006) Temporal changes in dietary fats: role of n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids in excessive adipose tissue development and relationship to obesity. Prog Lipid Res 45, 203–236.
47. TA Sanders (2001) Olive oil and the Mediterranean diet. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 71, 179–184.