1. US Department of Health and Human Services (2000) HHS Blueprint for Action on Breastfeeding. Washington, DC: US DHHS, Office on Women’s Health.
2. Ito, S (2000) Drug therapy for breast-feeding women. N Engl J Med 343, 118–126.
3. Liston, J (1998) Breastfeeding and the use of recreational drugs – alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and marijuana. Breastfeed Rev 6, issue 2, 27–30.
4. Work Group on Breastfeeding, American Academy of Pediatrics (1997) Breast feeding and the use of human milk. Pediatrics 100, 1035–1039.
5. Rogan, WJ (1996) Pollutants in breast milk. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 150, 981–990.
6. Somogyi, A & Beck, H (1993) Nurturing and breast-feeding: exposure to chemicals in breast milk. Environ Health Perspect 101, Suppl. 2, 45–52.
7. Coveney, J (1985) Is breast milk the best food for all infants? Human Nutr Appl Nutr 39A, 179–188.
8. Argote-Espinosa, RM, Flores-Huerta, S, Hernandez-Montes, H & Villalpando-Hernandez, S (1992) Plasma clearance of ethanol and its excretion in the milk of rural women who consume pulque. Rev Invest Clin 44, 31–36.
9. Mennella, JA & Beauchamp, GK (1991) The transfer of alcohol to human milk: effects on flavor and the infant behavior. N Engl J Med 325, 981–985.
10. Flores-Heurta, S, Hernandez-Montes, H, Argote, RM & Villalpando, S (1992) Effects of ethanol consumption during pregnancy and lactation on the outcome and postnatal group of the offspring. Ann Nutr Metab 36, 121–128.
11. Walter, M (1975) The folklore of breastfeeding. Bull N Y Acad Med 51, 870–876.
12. Adams, LM & Davidson, M (1987) Present concepts of infant colic. Pediatr Ann 16, 817–820.
13. Chien, YC, Liu, JF, Huang, YJ, Hsu, CS & Chao, JCJ (2005) Alcohol levels in Chinese lactating mothers after consumption of alcoholic diet during postpartum ‘doing-the-month’ ritual. Alcohol 37, 143–150.
14. Liu-Chiang, CY (1995) Postpartum worries: an exploration of Taiwanese primiparas who participate in the Chinese ritual of Tso-Yueh-Tzu. Matern Child Nurs J 23, 110–122.
15. Mennella, JA & Gerrish, CJ (1998) Effects of exposure to alcohol in mother’s milk on infant sleep. Pediatrics 101, 21–25.
16. Little, RE, Anderson, KW, Ervin, CH, Worthington-Roberts, B & Clarren, SK (1989) Maternal alcohol use during breast-feeding and infant mental and motor development at one year. N Engl J Med 321, 425–430.
17. Heil, SH, Hungund, BL, Zheng, ZH, Jen, KL & Subramanian, MG (1999) Ethanol and lactation: effects on milk lipids and serum constituents. Alcohol 18, 43–48.
18. Tavares do Carmo, MG & Nascimento-Cui, CMO (1990) Effects of ethanol intake during lactation on the metabolism of dams and pup development. Braz J Med Biol Res 23, 1161–1163.
19. Sanchis, R & Guerri, C (1986) Chronic ethanol intake in lactating rats: milk analysis. Comp Biochem Physiol C 85, 107–110.
20. Vilaro, S, Vinas, O, Remesar, X & Herrera, E (1987) Effects of chronic ethanol consumption on lactational performance in rat: mammary gland and milk composition and pups’ growth and metabolism. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 27, 333–339.
21. Subramanian, MG (1999) Alcohol inhibits suckling-induced oxytocin release in the lactating rat. Alcohol 19, 51–55.
22. Coiro, V, Alboni, A, Gramellini, D, Cigarini, C, Bianconi, L, Pignatti, D, Volpi, R & Chiodera, P (1992) Inhibition by ethanol of the oxytocin response to breast stimulation in normal women and the role of endogenous opioids. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 26, 213–216.
23. Cobo, E (1973) Effects of different doses of ethanol on the milk-ejecting reflex in lactating women. Am J Obstet Gynecol 115, 817–821.
24. Mennella, JA (1998) Short-term effects of maternal alcohol consumption on lactational performance. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 22, 1389–1392.
25. Jones, AW, Jonsson, KA & Kechagias, S (1997) Effect of high-fat, high-protein, and high-carbohydrate meals on the pharmacokinetics of a small dose of ethanol. Br J Clin Pharmacol 44, 521–526.
26. Association of Official Analytical Chemists (1980) Official Methods of Analysis, 13th ed. Washington, DC: AOAC.
27. Arthur, PG, Smith, M & Hartmann, PE (1989) Milk lactose, citrate and glucose as markers of lactogenesis in normal and diabetic women. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 9, 488–496.
28. Cox, DB, Owens, RA & Hartmann, PE (1996) Blood and milk prolactin and the rate of milk synthesis in women. Exp Physiol 81, 1007–1020.
29. Forsander, OA (1970) Influence of ethanol and butyraldoxime on liver metabolism. Biochem Pharmacol 19, 2131–2136.
30. Oyama, LM, Couto, RC, Couto, GEC, Damaso, AR & Oller do Nascimento, CM (2000) Ethanol intake during lactation I. Effects on dams’ metabolism and pups’ body weight gain. Alcohol 21, 195–200.
31. Kunz, C, Rodriguez-Palmero, M, Koletzko, B & Jensen, R (1999) Nutritional and biochemical properties of human milk, Part I: General aspects, proteins, and carbohydrates. Clin Perinatol 26, 307–333.
32. Short, RV (1984) Breast feeding. Sci Am 250, 35–41.
33. Fuchs, AR (1969) Ethanol and the inhibition of oxytocin release in lactating rats. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 62, 546–554.
34. Mennella, JA (2003) Alcohol use during lactation: effects on the mother and the breastfeeding infant. In Nutrition and Alcohol: Linking Nutrient Interactions and Dietary Intake, pp. 377–391 [RR Watson and VR Preedy, editors]. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
35. Volpi, R, Chiodera, P, Gramellini, D, Cigarini, C, Papadia, C, Caffarri, G, Rossi, G & Coiro, V (1994) Endogenous opioid mediation of the inhibitory effect of ethanol on the prolactin response to breast stimulation in normal women. Life Sci 54, 739–744.
36. Soyka, M, Gorig, E & Naber, D (1991) Serum prolactin increase induced by ethanol – a dose-dependent effect not related to stress. Psychoneuroendocrinology 16, 441–446.
37. Carlson, HE, Lamberts, SW, Brickman, AS, Deftos, LJ, Horst, RL & Forte, LR (1985) Hypercalcemia in rats bearing growth hormone- and prolactin-secreting transplantable pituitary tumors. Endocrinology 117, 1602–1607.
38. De Rosa, G, Corsello, SM, Ruffilli, MP, Della Casa, S & Pasargiklian, E (1981) Prolactin secretion after beer. Lancet 2, 934–937.
39. Earll, JM, Gaunt, K, Earll, LA & Djuh, YY (1976) Effect of ethyl alcohol on ionic calcium and prolactin in man. Aviat Space Environ Med 47, 808–810.
40. Subramanian, MG, Chen, XG & Bergeski, BA (1990) Pattern and duration of the inhibitory effect of alcohol administered acutely on suckling-induced prolactin in lactating rats. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 14, 771–775.
41. Subramanian, MG & Abel, EL (1988) Alcohol inhibits suckling-induced prolactin release and milk yield. Alcohol 5, 95–98.
42. Mitoulas, LR, Kent, JC, Cox, DB, Owens, RA, Sherriff, JL & Hartmann, PE (2002) Variation in fat, lactose and protein in human milk over 24 h and through the first year of lactation. Br J Nutr 88, 29–37.
43. Jensen, RG (1996) The lipids in human milk. Prog Lipid Res 35, 53–92.
44. Lammi-Keefe, CJ, Ferris, AM & Jensen, RG (1990) Changes in human milk at 0600, 1000, 1400, 1800, and 2000 h. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 11, 83–88.
45. Jenness, R (1979) The composition of human milk. Semin Perinatol 3, 225–239.
46. Jensen, RG (1999) Lipids in human milk. Lipids 34, 1243–1271.
47. Clark, RM, Ferris, AM, Fey, M, Brown, PB, Hundrieser, KE & Jensen, RG (1982) Changes in the lipids of human milk from 2 to 16 weeks postpartum. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1, 311–315.
48. Jensen, RG (1980) Composition of the lipids in human milk: a review. Lipids 15, 345–355.
49. Harzer, G, Haug, M & Bindels, JG (1986) Biochemistry of human milk in early lactation. Z Ernahrungswiss 25, 77–90.
50. Leung, SK, Arthur, D & Martinson, IM (2005) Perceived stress and support of the Chinese postpartum ritual ‘doing the month’. Health Care Women Int 26, 212–224.
51. Chan, SM, Nelson, EA, Leung, SS, Cheung, PC & Li, CY (2000) Special postpartum dietary practices of Hong Kong Chinese women. Eur J Clin Nutr 54, 797–802.
52. Holroyd, E, Katie, FK, Chun, LS & Ha, SW (1997) ‘Doing the month’: an exploration of postpartum practices in Chinese women. Health Care Women Int 18, 301–313.
53. Whang, J (1981) Chinese traditional food therapy. J Am Diet Assoc 78, 55–57.