1. TS Han , MA Tijhuis , ME Lean & JC Seidell (1998) Quality of life in relation to overweight and body fat distribution. Am J Public Health 88, 1814–1820.
3. AM Lievense , SMA Bierma-Zeinstra , AP Verhagen , ME van Baar , JAN Verhaar & BW Koes (2002) Influence of obesity on the development of osteoarthritis of the hip: a systematic review. Rheumatology 41, 1155–1162.
4. G Peat , R McCarney & P Croft (2002) Knee pain and osteoarthritis in older adults: a review of community burden and current use of primary health care. Ann Rheum Dis 60, 91–97.
5. D Coggon , I Reading , P Croft , M McLaren , D Barrett & C Cooper (2001) Knee osteoarthritis and obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25, 622–627.
6. SA Oliveria , DT Felson , PA Cirillo , JI Reed & AM Walker (1999) Body weight, body mass index, and incident symptomatic osteoarthritis of the hand, hip, and knee. Epidemiology 10, 161–166.
8. G-MC Gast , FJ Frenken , LA Van Leest , GC Wendel-Vos & WJ Bemelmans (2006) Intra-national variation in trends in overweight and leisure time physical activities in The Netherlands since 1980: stratification according to sex, age and urbanisation degree. Int J Obes (Lond) 31, 515–520.
9. DF Schokker , TLS Visscher , MA Van Baak & JC Seidell (2007) Prevalence of overweight and obesity in The Netherlands. Obes Rev 8, 101–108.
10. TLS Visscher & JC Seidell (2001) The public health impact of obesity. Annu Rev Public Health 22, 355–375.
11. HSJ Picavet & N Hoeymans (2002) Physical disability in The Netherlands: prevalence, risk groups and time trends. Public Health 116, 231–237.
12. HSJ Picavet & JSAG Schouten (2003) Musculoskeletal pain in the Netherlands: prevalences, consequences and risk groups, the DMC(3)study. Pain 102, 167–178.
13. HSJ Picavet (2001) National Health Survey by mail or home interview: effects on response. J Epidemiol Community Health 55, 408–413.
14.Euroqol Group (1990) Euroqol – a new facility for the measurement of health related quality of life. Health Policy 16, 199–208.
15. HS Picavet & N Hoeymans (2004) Health related quality of life in multiple musculoskeletal diseases: SF-36 and EQ-5D in the DMC3 study. Ann Rheum Dis 63, 723–729.
17. MF Sowers , M Hochberg , JP Crabbe , A Muhich , M Crutchfield & S Updike (1996) Association of bone mineral density and sex hormone levels with osteoarthritis of the hand and knee in premenopausal women. Am J Epidemiol 143, 38–47.
18. MF Sowers , L Lachance , M Hochberg & D Jamadar (2000) Radiographically defined osteoarthritis of the hand and knee in young and middle-aged African American and Caucasian women. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 8, 69–77.
19. MA Cimmino , P Sarzi-Puttini , R Scarpa , R Caporali , F Parazzini , A Zaninelli & R Marcolongo (2005) Clinical presentation of osteoarthritis in general practice: determinants of pain in Italian patients in the AMICA study. Semin Arthritis Rheum 35, Suppl. 1, 17–23.
20. DT Felson , JJ Anderson , A Naimark , AM Walker & RF Meenan (1988) Obesity and knee osteoarthritis. The Framingham Study. Ann Intern Med 109, 18–24.
22. DT Felson , Y Zhang , MT Hannan , A Naimark , B Weissman , P Aliabadi & D Levy (1997) Risk factors for incident radiographic knee osteoarthritis in the elderly: the Framingham Study. Arthritis Rheum 40, 728–733.
23. AC Gelber , MC Hochberg , LA Mead , NY Wang , FM Wigley & MJ Klag (1999) Body mass index in young men and the risk of subsequent knee and hip osteoarthritis. Am J Med 107, 542–548.
24. H Miranda , E Viikari-Juntura , R Martikainen & H Riihimaki (2002) A prospective study on knee pain and its risk factors. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 10, 623–630.
25. DT Felson , Y Zhang , JM Anthony , A Naimark & JJ Anderson (1992) Weight loss reduces the risk for symptomatic knee osteoarthritis in women. The Framingham Study. Ann Intern Med 116, 535–539.
26. C Jinks , K Jordan & P Croft (2006) Disabling knee pain – another consequence of obesity: results from a prospective cohort study. BMC Public Health 6, 258.
27. S Holmberg , A Thelin & N Thelin (2005) Knee osteoarthritis and body mass index: a population-based case–control study. Scand J Rheumatol 34, 59–64.
28. GB Flugsrud , L Nordsletten , B Espehaug , LI Havelin & HE Meyer (2002) Risk factors for total hip replacement due to primary osteoarthritis: a cohort study in 50,034 persons. Arthritis Rheum 46, 675–682.
29. GB Flugsrud , L Nordsletten , B Espehaug , LI Havelin , A Engeland & HE Meyer (2006) The impact of body mass index on later total hip arthroplasty for primary osteoarthritis: a cohort study in 1.2 million persons. Arthritis Rheum 54, 802–807.
30. EW Karlson , LA Mandl , GN Aweh , O Sangha , MH Liang & F Grodstein (2003) Total hip replacement due to osteoarthritis: the importance of age, obesity, and other modifiable risk factors. Am J Med 114, 93–98.
31. DT Felson & Y Zhang (1998) An update on the epidemiology of knee and hip osteoarthritis with a view to prevention. Arthritis Rheum 41, 1343–1355.
33. SC O’Reilly , KR Muir & M Doherty (1996) Screening for pain in knee osteoarthritis: which question? Ann Rheum Dis 55, 931–933.
34. JM Quintana , I Arostegui , A Escobar , I Lafuente , JC Arenaza , I Garcia & U Aguirre (2007) Validation of a screening questionnaire for hip and knee osteoarthritis in old people. BMC Musculoskeletal Dis 8, 84.
35. CA Okoro , JM Hootman , TW Strine , LS Balluz & AH Mokdad (2004) Disability, arthritis, and body weight among adults 45 years and older. Obes Res 12, 854–861.
36. JSAG Schouten , FA van den Ouweland & HA Valkenburg (1992) A 12 year follow up study in the general population on prognostic factors of cartilage loss in osteoarthritis of the knee. Ann Rheum Dis 51, 932–937.
37. M Peltonen , AK Lindroos & JS Torgerson (2003) Musculoskeletal pain in the obese: a comparison with a general population and long-term changes after conventional and surgical obesity treatment. Pain 104, 549–557.
38. M Zamboni , G Mazzali , E Zoico , TB Harris , JB Meigs , V Di Francesco , F Fantin , L Bissoli & O Bosello (2005) Health consequences of obesity in the elderly: a review of four unresolved questions. Int J Obes (Lond) 29, 1011–1029.
39. SP Messier , DJ Gutekunst , C Davis & P DeVita (2005) Weight loss reduces knee-joint loads in overweight and obese older adults with knee osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum 52, 2026–2032.
40. SP Messier , RF Loeser , GD Miller , TM Morgan , WJ Rejeski , MA Sevick , WH Ettinger Jr, M Pahor & JD Williamson (2004) Exercise and dietary weight loss in overweight and obese older adults with knee osteoarthritis: the Arthritis, Diet, and Activity Promotion Trial. Arthritis Rheum 50, 1501–1510.
41. BC Focht , WJ Rejeski , WT Ambrosius , JA Katula & SP Messier (2005) Exercise, self-efficacy, and mobility performance in overweight and obese older adults with knee osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum 53, 659–665.
43. SG Leveille , CC Wee & LI Iezzoni (2005) Trends in obesity and arthritis among baby boomers and their predecessors, 1971–2002. Am J Public Health 95, 1607–1613.
44. CL Hupkens , J van den Berg & J van der Zee (1999) National health interview surveys in Europe: an overview. Health Policy 47, 145–168.
45. AL Rosenbloom , JR Joe , RS Young & WE Winter (1999) Emerging epidemic of type 2 diabetes in youth. Diabetes Care 22, 345–354.