1. Han, TS, Tijhuis, MA, Lean, ME & Seidell, JC (1998) Quality of life in relation to overweight and body fat distribution. Am J Public Health 88, 1814–1820.
2. Rissanen, AM (2006) The economic and psychosocial consequences of obesity. Ciba Found Symp 201, 194–201.
3. Lievense, AM, Bierma-Zeinstra, SMA, Verhagen, AP, van Baar, ME, Verhaar, JAN & Koes, BW (2002) Influence of obesity on the development of osteoarthritis of the hip: a systematic review. Rheumatology 41, 1155–1162.
4. Peat, G, McCarney, R & Croft, P (2002) Knee pain and osteoarthritis in older adults: a review of community burden and current use of primary health care. Ann Rheum Dis 60, 91–97.
5. Coggon, D, Reading, I, Croft, P, McLaren, M, Barrett, D & Cooper, C (2001) Knee osteoarthritis and obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25, 622–627.
6. Oliveria, SA, Felson, DT, Cirillo, PA, Reed, JI & Walker, AM (1999) Body weight, body mass index, and incident symptomatic osteoarthritis of the hand, hip, and knee. Epidemiology 10, 161–166.
7. Hochberg, MC, Lethbridge-Cejku, M, Scott, WW Jr, Reichle, R, Plato, CC & Tobin, JD (1995) The association of body weight, body fatness and body fat distribution with osteoarthritis of the knee: data from the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging. J Rheumatol 22, 488–493.
8. Gast, G-MC, Frenken, FJ, Van Leest, LA, Wendel-Vos, GC & Bemelmans, WJ (2006) Intra-national variation in trends in overweight and leisure time physical activities in The Netherlands since 1980: stratification according to sex, age and urbanisation degree. Int J Obes (Lond) 31, 515–520.
9. Schokker, DF, Visscher, TLS, Van Baak, MA & Seidell, JC (2007) Prevalence of overweight and obesity in The Netherlands. Obes Rev 8, 101–108.
10. Visscher, TLS & Seidell, JC (2001) The public health impact of obesity. Annu Rev Public Health 22, 355–375.
11. Picavet, HSJ & Hoeymans, N (2002) Physical disability in The Netherlands: prevalence, risk groups and time trends. Public Health 116, 231–237.
12. Picavet, HSJ & Schouten, JSAG (2003) Musculoskeletal pain in the Netherlands: prevalences, consequences and risk groups, the DMC(3)study. Pain 102, 167–178.
13. Picavet, HSJ (2001) National Health Survey by mail or home interview: effects on response. J Epidemiol Community Health 55, 408–413.
14. Euroqol Group (1990) Euroqol – a new facility for the measurement of health related quality of life. Health Policy 16, 199–208.
15. Picavet, HS & Hoeymans, N (2004) Health related quality of life in multiple musculoskeletal diseases: SF-36 and EQ-5D in the DMC3 study. Ann Rheum Dis 63, 723–729.
16. Anderson, JJ & Felson, DT (1988) Factors associated with osteoarthritis of the knee in the first national Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (HANES I). Evidence for an association with overweight, race, and physical demands of work. Am J Epidemiol 128, 179–189.
17. Sowers, MF, Hochberg, M, Crabbe, JP, Muhich, A, Crutchfield, M & Updike, S (1996) Association of bone mineral density and sex hormone levels with osteoarthritis of the hand and knee in premenopausal women. Am J Epidemiol 143, 38–47.
18. Sowers, MF, Lachance, L, Hochberg, M & Jamadar, D (2000) Radiographically defined osteoarthritis of the hand and knee in young and middle-aged African American and Caucasian women. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 8, 69–77.
19. Cimmino, MA, Sarzi-Puttini, P, Scarpa, R, Caporali, R, Parazzini, F, Zaninelli, A & Marcolongo, R (2005) Clinical presentation of osteoarthritis in general practice: determinants of pain in Italian patients in the AMICA study. Semin Arthritis Rheum 35, Suppl. 1, 17–23.
20. Felson, DT, Anderson, JJ, Naimark, A, Walker, AM & Meenan, RF (1988) Obesity and knee osteoarthritis. The Framingham Study. Ann Intern Med 109, 18–24.
21. Manninen, P, Riihimaki, H, Heliovaara, M & Makela, P (1996) Overweight, gender and knee osteoarthritis. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 20, 595–597.
22. Felson, DT, Zhang, Y, Hannan, MT, Naimark, A, Weissman, B, Aliabadi, P & Levy, D (1997) Risk factors for incident radiographic knee osteoarthritis in the elderly: the Framingham Study. Arthritis Rheum 40, 728–733.
23. Gelber, AC, Hochberg, MC, Mead, LA, Wang, NY, Wigley, FM & Klag, MJ (1999) Body mass index in young men and the risk of subsequent knee and hip osteoarthritis. Am J Med 107, 542–548.
24. Miranda, H, Viikari-Juntura, E, Martikainen, R & Riihimaki, H (2002) A prospective study on knee pain and its risk factors. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 10, 623–630.
25. Felson, DT, Zhang, Y, Anthony, JM, Naimark, A & Anderson, JJ (1992) Weight loss reduces the risk for symptomatic knee osteoarthritis in women. The Framingham Study. Ann Intern Med 116, 535–539.
26. Jinks, C, Jordan, K & Croft, P (2006) Disabling knee pain – another consequence of obesity: results from a prospective cohort study. BMC Public Health 6, 258.
27. Holmberg, S, Thelin, A & Thelin, N (2005) Knee osteoarthritis and body mass index: a population-based case–control study. Scand J Rheumatol 34, 59–64.
28. Flugsrud, GB, Nordsletten, L, Espehaug, B, Havelin, LI & Meyer, HE (2002) Risk factors for total hip replacement due to primary osteoarthritis: a cohort study in 50,034 persons. Arthritis Rheum 46, 675–682.
29. Flugsrud, GB, Nordsletten, L, Espehaug, B, Havelin, LI, Engeland, A & Meyer, HE (2006) The impact of body mass index on later total hip arthroplasty for primary osteoarthritis: a cohort study in 1.2 million persons. Arthritis Rheum 54, 802–807.
30. Karlson, EW, Mandl, LA, Aweh, GN, Sangha, O, Liang, MH & Grodstein, F (2003) Total hip replacement due to osteoarthritis: the importance of age, obesity, and other modifiable risk factors. Am J Med 114, 93–98.
31. Felson, DT & Zhang, Y (1998) An update on the epidemiology of knee and hip osteoarthritis with a view to prevention. Arthritis Rheum 41, 1343–1355.
32. Tugwell, P, Chambers, L, Torrance, G, Reynolds, D, Wolfson, M, Bennett, K, Badley, E, Jamieson, E & Stock, S (1993) The population health impact of arthritis. J Rheumatol 20, 1048–1051.
33. O’Reilly, SC, Muir, KR & Doherty, M (1996) Screening for pain in knee osteoarthritis: which question? Ann Rheum Dis 55, 931–933.
34. Quintana, JM, Arostegui, I, Escobar, A, Lafuente, I, Arenaza, JC, Garcia, I & Aguirre, U (2007) Validation of a screening questionnaire for hip and knee osteoarthritis in old people. BMC Musculoskeletal Dis 8, 84.
35. Okoro, CA, Hootman, JM, Strine, TW, Balluz, LS & Mokdad, AH (2004) Disability, arthritis, and body weight among adults 45 years and older. Obes Res 12, 854–861.
36. Schouten, JSAG, van den Ouweland, FA & Valkenburg, HA (1992) A 12 year follow up study in the general population on prognostic factors of cartilage loss in osteoarthritis of the knee. Ann Rheum Dis 51, 932–937.
37. Peltonen, M, Lindroos, AK & Torgerson, JS (2003) Musculoskeletal pain in the obese: a comparison with a general population and long-term changes after conventional and surgical obesity treatment. Pain 104, 549–557.
38. Zamboni, M, Mazzali, G, Zoico, E, Harris, TB, Meigs, JB, Di Francesco, V, Fantin, F, Bissoli, L & Bosello, O (2005) Health consequences of obesity in the elderly: a review of four unresolved questions. Int J Obes (Lond) 29, 1011–1029.
39. Messier, SP, Gutekunst, DJ, Davis, C & DeVita, P (2005) Weight loss reduces knee-joint loads in overweight and obese older adults with knee osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum 52, 2026–2032.
40. Messier, SP, Loeser, RF, Miller, GD, Morgan, TM, Rejeski, WJ, Sevick, MA, Ettinger, WH Jr, Pahor, M & Williamson, JD (2004) Exercise and dietary weight loss in overweight and obese older adults with knee osteoarthritis: the Arthritis, Diet, and Activity Promotion Trial. Arthritis Rheum 50, 1501–1510.
41. Focht, BC, Rejeski, WJ, Ambrosius, WT, Katula, JA & Messier, SP (2005) Exercise, self-efficacy, and mobility performance in overweight and obese older adults with knee osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum 53, 659–665.
42. Rothman, KJ & Greenland, S (editors) (1998) Applications of stratified analysis methods. In Modern Epidemiology, 2nd ed., pp. 281–301. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott-Raven.
43. Leveille, SG, Wee, CC & Iezzoni, LI (2005) Trends in obesity and arthritis among baby boomers and their predecessors, 1971–2002. Am J Public Health 95, 1607–1613.
44. Hupkens, CL, van den Berg, J & van der Zee, J (1999) National health interview surveys in Europe: an overview. Health Policy 47, 145–168.
45. Rosenbloom, AL, Joe, JR, Young, RS & Winter, WE (1999) Emerging epidemic of type 2 diabetes in youth. Diabetes Care 22, 345–354.