This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. SA Bowman , SL Gortmaker , CB Ebbeling , MA Pereira & DS Ludwig (2004) Effects of fast-food consumption on energy intake and diet quality among children in a national household survey. Pediatrics 113, 112–118.
2. JF Guthrie , BH Lin & E Frazao (2002) Role of food prepared away from home in the American diet, 1977–78 versus 1994–96: changes and consequences. J Nutr Educ Behav 34, 140–150.
3. SB Austin , SJ Melly , BN Sanchez , A Patel , S Buka & SL Gortmaker (2005) Clustering of fast-food restaurants around schools: a novel application of spatial statistics to the study of food environments. Am J Public Health 95, 1575–1581.
4. SN Zenk & LM Powell (2008) US secondary schools and food outlets. Health Place 14, 336–346.
6. D Neumark-Sztainer , SA French , PJ Hannan , M Story & JA Fulkerson (2005) School lunch and snacking patterns among high school students: associations with school food environment and policies. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 2, 14.
7. CW Outley & A Taddese (2006) A content analysis of health and physical activity messages marketed to African American children during after-school television programming. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 160, 432–435.
8. LM Powell , G Szczypka & FJ Chaloupka (2007) Adolescent exposure to food advertising on television. Am J Prev Med 33, S251–S256.
9. AF Subar , SM Krebs-Smith , A Cook & LL Kahle (1998) Dietary sources of nutrients among US children, 1989–1991. Pediatrics 102, 913–923.
10. LR Young & M Nestle (2002) The contribution of expanding portion sizes to the US obesity epidemic. Am J Public Health 92, 246–249.
11. RW Jeffery , J Baxter , M McGuire & J Linde (2006) Are fast food restaurants an environmental risk factor for obesity? Int J Behav Nutr Phys Acti 3, 2.
12. MA Pereira , AI Kartashov , CB Ebbeling (2005) Fast-food habits, weight gain, and insulin resistance (the CARDIA study): 15-year prospective analysis. Lancet 365, 36–42.
13. EM Taveras , CS Berkey , SL Rifas-Shiman (2005) Association of consumption of fried food away from home with body mass index and diet quality in older children and adolescents. Pediatrics 116, e518–e524.
14. M Schmidt , SG Affenito , R Striegel-Moore (2005) Fast-food intake and diet quality in black and white girls: the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Growth and Health Study. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 159, 626–631.
15. S Paeratakul , DP Ferdinand , CM Champagne , DH Ryan & GA Bray (2003) Fast-food consumption among US adults and children: dietary and nutrient intake profile. J Am Diet Assoc 103, 1332–1338.
16. JL Wiecha , D Finkelstein , PJ Troped , M Fragala & KE Peterson (2006) School vending machine use and fast-food restaurant use are associated with sugar-sweetened beverage intake in youth. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 1624–1630.
17. SA French , M Story , D Neumark-Sztainer , JA Fulkerson & P Hannan (2001) Fast food restaurant use among adolescents: associations with nutrient intake, food choices and behavioral and psychosocial variables. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25, 1823–1833.
18. JB Unger , K Reynolds , S Shakib , D Spruijt-Metz , P Sun & CA Johnson (2004) Acculturation, physical activity, and fast-food consumption among Asian-American and Hispanic adolescents. J Community Health 29, 467–481.
20. P Gordon-Larsen , KM Harris , DS Ward & BM Popkin ; National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health (2003) Acculturation and overweight-related behaviors among Hispanic immigrants to the US: the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health. Soc Sci Med 57, 2023–2034.
21. SA French , L Harnack & RW Jeffery (2000) Fast food restaurant use among women in the Pound of Prevention study: dietary, behavioral and demographic correlates. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 24, 1353–1359.
24. D Neumark-Sztainer , M Story , C Perry & MA Casey (1999) Factors influencing food choices of adolescents: findings from focus-group discussions with adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc 99, 929–937.
25. HM Niemeier , HA Raynor , EE Lloyd-Richardson , ML Rogers & RR Wing (2006) Fast food consumption and breakfast skipping: predictors of weight gain from adolescence to adulthood in a nationally representative sample. J Adolesc Health 39, 842–849.
26. NI Larson , D Neumark-Sztainer , MT Story , MM Wall , L Harnack & ME Eisenberg (2008) Fast food intake: longitudinal trends during the transition to young adulthood and correlates of intake. J Adolesc Health 43, 79–86.
27. D Neumark-Sztainer , M Story , PJ Hannan & J Croll (2002) Overweight status and eating patterns among adolescents: where do youths stand in comparison with the Healthy People 2010 objectives? Am J Public Health 92, 844–851.
28. R Little (1986) Survey nonresponse adjustments for estimates of means. Int Stat Rev 54, 137–139.
29. ML Neuhouser , B Thompson , GD Coronado & CC Solomon (2004) Higher fat intake and lower fruit and vegetables intakes are associated with greater acculturation among Mexicans living in Washington state. J Am Diet Assoc 104, 51–57.
31. K Glanz , K Resnicow , J Seymour (2007) How major restaurant chains plan their menus: the role of profit, demand, and health. Am J Prev Med 32, 383–388.
32. MG Wootan , M Osborn & CJ Malloy (2006) Availability of point-of-purchase nutrition information at a fast-food restaurant. Prev Med 43, 458–459.