This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. JA Lucas , MJ Bolland , AB Grey et al. (2005) Determinants of vitamin D status in older women living in a subtropical climate. Osteoporos Int 16, 1641–1648.
4. O Engelsen , M Brustad , L Aksnes et al. (2005) Daily duration of vitamin D synthesis in human skin with relation to latitude, total ozone, altitude, ground cover, aerosols and cloud thickness. Photochem Photobiol 81, 1287–1290.
5. TC Chen , F Chimeh , Z Lu et al. (2007) Factors that influence the cutaneous synthesis and dietary sources of vitamin D. Arch Biochem Biophys 460, 213–217.
6. A Gozdzik , J Barta , H Wu et al. (2008) Low wintertime vitamin D levels in a sample of healthy young adults of diverse ancestry living in the Toronto area: associations with vitamin D intake and skin pigmentation. BMC Public Health 8, 336.
11. MF Holick (2007) Vitamin D deficiency. N Engl J Med 357, 266–281.
12. KL Munger , LI Levin , BW Hollis et al. (2006) Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and risk of multiple sclerosis. JAMA 296, 2832–2838.
13. L Yang , MB Veierød , M Löf et al. (2011) Prospective study of UV exposure and cancer incidence among Swedish women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 20, 1358–1367.
14. LN Anderson , M Cotterchio , VA Kirsh et al. (2011) Ultraviolet sunlight exposure during adolescence and adulthood and breast cancer risk: a population-based case–control study among Ontario women. Am J Epidemiol 174, 293–304.
15. ET Jacobs , ME Martinez & PW Jurutka (2011) Vitamin D: marker or mechanism of action? Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 20, 585–590.
18. RM Lucas , A-L Ponsonby , AJ McMichael et al. (2007) Observational analytic studies in multiple sclerosis: controlling bias through study design and conduct. The Australian Multicentre Study of Environment and Immune Function. Mult Scler 13, 827–839.
19. TB Fitzpatrick (1988) The validity and practicality of sun-reactive skin types I through VI. Arch Dermatol 124, 869–871.
22. R Vieth , DE Cole , GA Hawker et al. (2001) Wintertime vitamin D insufficiency is common in young Canadian women, and their vitamin D intake does not prevent it. Eur J Clin Nutr 55, 1091–1097.
23. ML Nelson , JM Blum , BW Hollis et al. (2009) Supplements of 20 μg/d cholecalciferol optimized serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations in 80 % of premenopausal women in winter. J Nutr 139, 540–546.
24. JA Greenfield , PS Park , E Farahani et al. (2012) Solar ultraviolet-B radiation and vitamin D: a cross-sectional population-based study using data from the 2007 to 2009 Canadian Health Measures Survey. BMC Public Health 12, 660.
25. H Sahota , H Barnett , M Lesosky et al. (2008) Association of vitamin D-related information from a telephone interview with 25-hydroxyvitamin D. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17, 232–238.
26. SJ Whiting , KA Langlois , H Vatanparast et al. (2011) The vitamin D status of Canadians relative to the 2011 dietary reference intakes: an examination in children and adults with and without supplement use. Am J Clin Nutr 94, 128–135.
27. M Kull Jr, R Kallikorm , A Tamm et al. (2009) Seasonal variance of 25-(OH) vitamin D in the general population of Estonia, a northern European country. BMC Public Health 9, 22.
30. DK Woo & MJ Eide (2010) Tanning beds, skin cancer, and vitamin D: an examination of the scientific evidence and public health implications. Dermatol Ther 23, 61–71.
31. P Autier , JF Dore , E Breitbart et al. (2011) The indoor tanning industry's double game. Lancet 377, 1299–1301.
32. HW Lim , WD James , DS Rigel et al. (2011) Adverse effects of ultraviolet radiation from the use of indoor tanning equipment: time to ban the tan. J Am Acad Dermatol 64, e51–e60.
33. F El Ghissassi , R Baan , K Straif et al., on behalf of the WHO International Agency for Research on Cancer Monograph Working Group (2009) A review of human carcinogens – part D: radiation. Lancet Oncol 10, 751–752.
34.IARC Working Group (2006) The association of use of sunbeds with cutaneous malignant melanoma and other skin cancers: a systematic review. Int J Cancer 120, 1116–1122.
35. RP Gallagher , JJ Spinelli & TK Lee (2005) Tanning beds, sunlamps, and risk of cutaneous malignant melanoma. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14, 562–566.
39. C Brot , P Vestergaard , N Kolthoff et al. (2001) Vitamin D status and its adequacy in healthy Danish perimenopausal women: relationships to dietary intake, sun exposure and serum parathyroid hormone. Br J Nutr 86, Suppl. 1, 97–103.
42. IAF van der Mei , L Blizzard , A-L Ponsonby et al. (2006) Validity and reliability of adult recall of past sun exposure in a case–control study of multiple sclerosis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15, 1538–1544.
43. FHJ Rampen , BAM Fleuren , TMD Boo et al. (1988) Unreliability of self-reported burning tendency and tanning ability. Arch Dermatol 124, 885–888.