This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. PM Kris-Etherton , WS Harris & LJ Appel (2002) AHA Scientific Statement. Fish consumption, fish oil, omega-3 fatty acids, and cardiovascular disease. Circulation 106, 2747–2757.
2. MP Freeman , JR Hibbeln , KL Wisner (2006) Omega-3 fatty acids: evidence basis for treatment and future research in psychiatry. J Clin Psychiatry 67, 1954–1967.
4. D Mozaffarian & EB Rimm (2006) Fish intake, contaminants, and human health: evaluating the risks and the benefits. JAMA 296, 1885–1899.
6. CJ Bates & DI Thurnham (1997) Biochemical markers of nutrient intake. In Design Concepts in Nutritional Epidemiology, 2nd ed., pp. 170–240 [BM Margetts and M Nelson, editors]. New York: Oxford University Press.
7. WC Willett (editor) (1998) Nutritional Epidemiology, 2nd ed., p. 414. New York: Oxford University Press.
9. JR Hebert , Y Ma , L Clemow , IS Ockene , G Saperia , EJ Stanek 3rd, PA Mérriam & JK Ockene (1997) Gender differences in social desirability and social approval bias in dietary self-report. Am J Epidemiol 146, 1046–1055.
11. M Plourde & S Cunnane (2007) Extremely limited synthesis of long chain polyunsaturates in adults: implications for their dietary essentiality and use as supplements. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 32, 619–634.
13. M Kobayashi , S Sasaki , T Kawabata , K Hasegawa & S Tsugane (2003) Validity of a self-administered food frequency questionnaire used in the 5-year follow-up survey of the JPHC Study Cohort I to assess fatty acid intake: comparison with dietary records and serum phospholipid level. J Epidemiol 13, 1 Suppl., S64–S81.
14. P Barberger-Gateau , MA Jutand , L Letenneur , S Larrieu , B Tavernier & C Berr ; 3C Study Group (2005) Correlates of regular fish consumption in French elderly community dwellers: data from the Three-City study. Eur J Clin Nutr 59, 817–825.
15. A Hjartaker , E Lund & KS Bjerve (1997) Serum phospholipid fatty acid composition and habitual intake of marine foods registered by a semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire. Eur J Clin Nutr 51, 736–742.
16. RK Woods , RM Stoney , PD Ireland , MJ Bailey , JM Raven , FC Thien , EH Walters & MJ Abramson (2002) A valid food frequency questionnaire for measuring dietary fish intake. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 11, 56–61.
17. K Mina , L Fritschi & M Knuiman (2007) A valid semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire to measure fish consumption. Eur J Clin Nutr 61, 1023–1031.
18. AM Hodge , JA Simpson , RA Gibson , AJ Sinclair , M Makrides , K O’Dea , DR English & GG Giles (2007) Plasma phospholipid fatty acid composition as a biomarker of habitual dietary fat intake in an ethnically diverse cohort. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 17, 415–426.
19. A Baylin , MK Kim , A Donovan-Palmer , X Siles , L Dougherty , P Tocco & H Campos (2005) Fasting whole blood as a biomarker of essential fatty acid intake in epidemiologic studies: comparison with adipose tissue and plasma. Am J Epidemiol 162, 373–381.
21. M Kobayashi , S Sasaki , T Kawabata , K Hasegawa , M Akabane & S Tsugane (2001) Single measurement of serum phospholipid fatty acid as a biomarker of specific fatty acid intake in middle-aged Japanese men. Eur J Clin Nutr 55, 643–650.
25. BM Ross (2007) Omega-3 fatty acid deficiency in major depressive disorder is caused by the interaction between diet and a genetically determined abnormality in phospholipid metabolism. Med Hypotheses 68, 515–524.
26. DF Horrobin & CN Bennett (1999) Depression and bipolar disorder: relationships to impaired fatty acid and phospholipid metabolism and to diabetes, cardiovascular disease, immunological abnormalities, cancer, ageing and osteoporosis. Possible candidate genes. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 60, 217–234.
28. NA Shaikh & E Downar (1981) Time course of changes in porcine myocardial phospholipid levels during ischemia. A reassessment of the lysolipid hypothesis. Circ Res 49, 316–325.
30. H Sprecher (2000) Metabolism of highly unsaturated n-3 and n-6 fatty acids. Biochim Biophys Acta 1486, 219–231.
31. WS Harris & C Von Schacky (2004) The Omega-3 Index: a new risk factor for death from coronary heart disease? Prev Med 39, 212–220.
32. MA Babyak (2004) What you see may not be what you get: a brief, nontechnical introduction to overfitting in regression-type models. Psychosom Med 66, 411–421.
36. BJ Fuhrman , M Barba , V Krogh (2006) Erythrocyte membrane phospholipid composition as a biomarker of dietary fat. Ann Nutr Metab 50, 95–102.
37. J Cao , KA Schwichtenberg , NQ Hanson & MY Tsai (2006) Incorporation and clearance of omega-3 fatty acids in erythrocyte membranes and plasma phospholipids. Clin Chem 52, 2265–2272.
40. AJ Brown , E Pang & DCK Roberts (1991) Erythrocyte eicosapentaenoic acid versus docosahexaenoic acid as a marker for fish and fish oil consumption. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 44, 103–106.
42. WS Harris , SA Sands , SL Windsor , HA Ali , TL Stevens , A Magalski , CB Porter & AM Borkon (2004) Omega-3 fatty acids in cardiac biopsies from heart transplantation patients: correlation with erythrocytes and response to supplementation. Circulation 110, 1645–1649.
43. G Burdge (2004) α-Linolenic acid metabolism in men and women: nutritional and biological implications. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 7, 137–144.