Systematic excavations at Olbia, begun in 1896, from the very outset aroused much interest in all parts of the world. The collection of Olbian exhibits occupy a prominent place in the departments of the Hermitage, the Historical Museum in Moscow and many other museums of the USSR. Olbian collections, some of them of considerable size, are also represented in the largest museums of Germany, France, the United States and other countries.
In 1921, by decision of the government of the Ukrainian SSR, the territory of Olbia, located twenty miles from Nikolaiev, was declared a State preserve. A by-road, which branches off from the main highway leading to Odessa, brings one to Porutino village on the banks of the Bug river.