This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
CE Naude , A Schoonees , M Senekal , et al. (2014) Low carbohydrate versus isoenergetic balanced diets for reducing weight and cardiovascular risk: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLOS ONE
3. J Sackner-Bernstein , D Kanter & S Kaul (2015) Dietary intervention for overweight and obese adults: comparison of low-carbohydrate and low-fat diets. A meta-analysis. PLOS ONE 10, e0139817.
4. DK Tobias , M Chen , JE Manson , et al. (2015) Effect of low-fat diet interventions versus other diet interventions on long-term weight change in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 3, 968–979.
RD Feinman , WK Pogozelski , A Astrup , et al. (2015) Dietary carbohydrate restriction as the first approach in diabetes management: critical review and evidence base. Nutrition
KK Berneis & RM Krauss (2002) Metabolic origins and clinical significance of LDL heterogeneity. J Lipid Res
R McPherson (2013) Remnant cholesterol: ‘non-(HDL-C+LDL-C)’ as a coronary artery disease risk factor. J Am Coll Cardiol
13. HN Ginsberg , YL Zhang & A Hernandez-Ono (2006) Metabolic syndrome: focus on dyslipidemia. Obesity (Silver Spring) 14, Suppl. 1, 41s–49s.
14. A Accurso , RK Bernstein , A Dahlqvist , et al. (2008) Dietary carbohydrate restriction in type 2 diabetes mellitus and metabolic syndrome: time for a critical appraisal. Nutr Metab (Lond) 5, 9.
15. M Fukuchi , J Watanabe , K Kumagai , et al. (2002) Normal and oxidized low density lipoproteins accumulate deep in physiologically thickened intima of human coronary arteries. Lab Invest 82, 1437–1447.
17. P Holvoet , A Mertens , P Verhamme , et al. (2001) Circulating oxidized LDL is a useful marker for identifying patients with coronary artery disease. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 21, 844–848.
18. H Soran & PN Durrington (2011) Susceptibility of LDL and its subfractions to glycation. Curr Opin Lipidol 22, 254–261.
19. A Chait , RL Brazg , DL Tribble , et al. (1993) Susceptibility of small, dense, low-density lipoproteins to oxidative modification in subjects with the atherogenic lipoprotein phenotype, pattern B. Am J Med 94, 350–356.
21. FK Welty (2013) How do elevated triglycerides and low HDL-cholesterol affect inflammation and atherothrombosis? Curr Cardiol Rep 15, 400.
P Holvoet , SB Kritchevsky , RP Tracy , et al. (2004) The metabolic syndrome, circulating oxidized LDL, and risk of myocardial infarction in well-functioning elderly people in the health, aging, and body composition cohort. Diabetes
23. J Salazar , LC Olivar , E Ramos , et al. (2015) Dysfunctional high-density lipoprotein: an innovative target for proteomics and lipidomics. Cholesterol 2015, 296417.
24. CE Forsythe , SD Phinney , ML Fernandez , et al. (2008) Comparison of low fat and low carbohydrate diets on circulating fatty acid composition and markers of inflammation. Lipids 43, 65–77.
26. DM Diamond & U Ravnskov (2015) How statistical deception created the appearance that statins are safe and effective in primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol 8, 201–210.
JK Liao & U Laufs (2005) Pleiotropic effects of statins. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol
Anonymous (1982) Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial. Risk factor changes and mortality results. Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial Research Group. JAMA