This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
K Basen-Engquist & M Chang (2011) Obesity and cancer risk: recent review and evidence. Curr Oncol Rep
3. M Ng , T Fleming , M Robinson , et al. (2014) Global, regional, and national prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adults during 1980–2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet 384, 766–781.
6. PW Siri-Tarino , Q Sun , FB Hu , et al. (2010) Saturated fatty acids and risk of coronary heart disease: modulation by replacement nutrients. Curr Atheroscler Rep 12, 384–390.
7. FB Hu & WC Willett (2002) Optimal diets for prevention of coronary heart disease. JAMA 288, 2569–2578.
8. A Astrup (2001) The role of dietary fat in the prevention and treatment of obesity. Efficacy and safety of low-fat diets. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25, Suppl. 1, S46–S50.
11. BJ Brehm , RJ Seeley , SR Daniels , et al. (2003) A randomized trial comparing a very low carbohydrate diet and a calorie-restricted low fat diet on body weight and cardiovascular risk factors in healthy women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88, 1617–1623.
13. KA McAuley , CM Hopkins , KJ Smith , et al. (2005) Comparison of high-fat and high-protein diets with a high-carbohydrate diet in insulin-resistant obese women. Diabetologia 48, 8–16.
14. J Tay , GD Brinkworth , M Noakes , et al. (2008) Metabolic effects of weight loss on a very-low-carbohydrate diet compared with an isocaloric high-carbohydrate diet in abdominally obese subjects. J Am Coll Cardiol 51, 59–67.
15. AJ Nordmann , A Nordmann , M Briel , et al. (2006) Effects of low-carbohydrate vs low-fat diets on weight loss and cardiovascular risk factors – a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Arch Inter Med 166, 285–293.
16. L Schwingshackl & G Hoffmann (2013) Comparison of effects of long-term low-fat vs high-fat diets on blood lipid levels in overweight or obese patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Acad Nutr Diet 113, 1640–1661.
19. RM Krauss & PW Siri (2004) Metabolic abnormalities: triglyceride and low-density lipoprotein. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 33, 405–415.
21. T Hu , KT Mills , L Yao , et al. (2012) Effects of low-carbohydrate diets versus low-fat diets on metabolic risk factors: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trials. Am J Epidemiol 176, Suppl. 7, S44–S54.
23. RM Krauss , RH Eckel , B Howard , et al. (2000) AHA Dietary Guidelines: Revision 2000: a statement for healthcare professionals from the nutrition committee of the American Heart Association. Circulation 102, 2284–2299.
28. GD Foster , HR Wyatt , JO Hill , et al. (2003) A randomized trial of a low-carbohydrate diet for obesity. N Engl J Med 348, 2082–2090.
31. R DerSimonian & N Laird (1986) Meta-analysis in clinical trials. Control Clin Trials 7, 177–188.
32. JP Higgins & SG Thompson (2002) Quantifying heterogeneity in a meta-analysis. Stat Med 21, 1539–1558.
33. M Egger , G Davey Smith , M Schneider , et al. (1997) Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test. BMJ 315, 629–634.
34. LA Bazzano , T Hu , K Reynolds , et al. (2014) Effects of low-carbohydrate and low-fat diets: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 161, 309–318.
36. ML Dansinger , JA Gleason , JL Griffith , et al. (2005) Comparison of the Atkins, Ornish, Weight watchers, and Zone diets for weight loss and heart disease risk reduction. JAMA 293, 43–53.
37. GD Foster , HR Wyatt , JO Hill , et al. (2010) Weight and metabolic outcomes after 2 years on a low-carbohydrate versus low-fat diet: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 153, 147–157.
CD Gardner , A Kiazand , S Alhassan , et al. (2007) Comparison of the Atkins, Zone, Ornish, and LEARN diets for change in weight and related risk factors among overweight premenopausal women: the A to Z Weight Loss Study: a randomized trial. JAMA
39. SS Lim , M Noakes , JB Keogh , et al. (2010) Long-term effects of a low carbohydrate, low fat or high unsaturated fat diet compared to a no-intervention control. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 20, 599–607.
42. CL Haase , A Tybjaerg-Hansen , AA Qayyum , et al. (2012) LCAT, HDL cholesterol and ischemic cardiovascular disease: a Mendelian randomization study of HDL cholesterol in 54500 individuals. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97, E248–E256.
43. Z Wu , Y Lou , X Qiu , et al. (2014) Association of cholesteryl ester transfer protein (CETP) gene polymorphism, high density lipoprotein cholesterol and risk of coronary artery disease: a meta-analysis using a Mendelian randomization approach. BMC Med Genet 15, 118.
44. GL Blackburn , JCC Phillips & S Morreale (2001) Physicians guide to popular low-carbohydrate weight-loss diets. Cleve Clin J Med 68, 761, 765–766, 768–769, 773–774.
L Stern , N Iqbal , P Seshadri , et al. (2004) The effects of low-carbohydrate versus conventional weight loss diets in severely obese adults: one-year follow-up of a randomized trial. Ann Inter Med
49. A Makris & GD Foster (2011) Dietary approaches to the treatment of obesity. Psychiatr Clin North Am 34, 813–827.