4. KC Johnson , AB Miller , NE Collishaw , et al. (2011) Active smoking and secondhand smoke increase breast cancer risk: the report of the Canadian Expert Panel on Tobacco Smoke and Breast Cancer Risk (2009). Tob Control 20, e2.
6. Y Wu , D Zhang & S Kang (2013) Physical activity and risk of breast cancer: a meta-analysis of prospective studies. Breast Cancer Res Treat 137, 869–882.
7. F Laden & DJ Hunter (1998) Environmental risk factors and female breast cancer. Annu Rev Public Health 19, 101–123.
8.Collaborative Group on Hormonal Factors in Breast Cancer (1997) Breast cancer and hormone replacement therapy: collaborative reanalysis of data from 51 epidemiological studies of 52,705 women with breast cancer and 108,411 women without breast cancer. Lancet 350, 1047–1059.
11. KB Michels , AP Mohllajee , E Roset-Bahmanyar , et al. (2007) Diet and breast cancer: a review of the prospective observational studies. Cancer 109, 2712–2749.
13. K Wada , K Nakamura , Y Tamai , et al. (2013) Soy isoflavone intake and breast cancer risk in Japan: from the Takayama study. Int J Cancer 133, 952–960.
17. HR Harris , N Orsini & A Wolk (2014) Vitamin C and survival among women with breast cancer: a meta-analysis. Eur J Cancer 50, 1223–1231.
18. W Wu , S Kang & D Zhang (2013) Association of vitamin B6, vitamin B12 and methionine with risk of breast cancer: a dose-response meta-analysis. Br J Cancer 109, 1926–1944.
19. Z Gong , CB Ambrosone , SE McCann , et al. (2014) Associations of dietary folate, vitamins B6 and B12 and methionine intake with risk of breast cancer among African American and European American women. Int J Cancer 134, 1422–1435.
20. H Fritz , D Seely , G Flower , et al. (2013) Soy, red clover, and isoflavones and breast cancer: a systematic review. PLOS ONE 8, e81968.
23. S Sieri , V Krogh , P Muti , et al. (2002) Fat and protein intake and subsequent breast cancer risk in postmenopausal women. Nutr Cancer 42, 10–17.
24. E Cho , D Spiegelman , DJ Hunter , et al. (2003) Premenopausal fat intake and risk of breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 95, 1079–1085.
25. DJ Hunter , D Spiegelman , HO Adami , et al. (1996) Cohort studies of fat intake and the risk of breast cancer – a pooled analysis. N Engl J Med 334, 356–361.
27. SA Smith-Warner , D Spiegelman , HO Adami , et al. (2001) Types of dietary fat and breast cancer: a pooled analysis of cohort studies. Int J Cancer 92, 767–774.
29. G Buckland , N Travier , V Cottet , et al. (2013) Adherence to the Mediterranean diet and risk of breast cancer in the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition cohort study. Int J Cancer 132, 2918–2927.
30. T Agurs-Collins , L Rosenberg , K Makambi , et al. (2009) Dietary patterns and breast cancer risk in women participating in the Black Women’s Health Study. Am J Clin Nutr 90, 621–628.
31. LM Butler , AH Wu , R Wang , et al. (2010) A vegetable-fruit-soy dietary pattern protects against breast cancer among postmenopausal Singapore Chinese women. Am J Clin Nutr 91, 1013–1019.
32. V Cottet , M Touvier , A Fournier , et al. (2009) Postmenopausal breast cancer risk and dietary patterns in the E3N-EPIC prospective cohort study. Am J Epidemiol 170, 1257–1267.
34. AH Wu , MC Yu , C-C Tseng , et al. (2009) Dietary patterns and breast cancer risk in Asian American women. Am J Clin Nutr 89, 1145–1154.
JG Brody , RA Rudel , KB Michels , et al. (2007) Environmental pollutants, diet, physical activity, body size, and breast cancer: where do we stand in research to identify opportunities for prevention?
36. I Dos Santos Silva , P Mangtani , V McCormack , et al. (2002) Lifelong vegetarianism and risk of breast cancer: a population-based case-control study among South Asian migrant women living in England. Int J Cancer 99, 238–244.
39. RC Travis , NE Allen , PN Appleby , et al. (2008) A prospective study of vegetarianism and isoflavone intake in relation to breast cancer risk in British women. Int J Cancer 122, 705–710.
41. TL Butler , GE Fraser , WL Beeson , et al. (2008) Cohort profile: the Adventist Health Study-2 (AHS-2). Int J Epidemiol 37, 260–265.
44. NS Rizzo , K Jaceldo-Siegl , J Sabate , et al. (2013) Nutrient profiles of vegetarian and nonvegetarian dietary patterns. J Acad Nutr Diet 113, 1610–1619.
47. Y Tantamango-Bartley , K Jaceldo-Siegl , J Fan , et al. (2013) Vegetarian diets and the incidence of cancer in a low-risk population. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 22, 286–294.
48. K Armstrong , A Eisen & B Weber (2000) Assessing the risk of breast cancer. N Engl J Med 342, 564–571.
49. J Green , BJ Cairns , D Casabonne , et al. (2011) Height and cancer incidence in the Million Women Study: prospective cohort, and meta-analysis of prospective studies of height and total cancer risk. Lancet Oncol 12, 785–794.
50. JP Costantino , MH Gail , D Pee , et al. (1999) Validation studies for models projecting the risk of invasive and total breast cancer incidence. J Natl Cancer Inst 91, 1541–1548.
54. G Fraser & R Yan (2007) Guided multiple imputation of missing data: using a subsample to strengthen the missing-at-random assumption. Epidemiology 18, 246–252.
56. TT Fung , FB Hu , MD Holmes , et al. (2005) Dietary patterns and the risk of postmenopausal breast cancer. Int J Cancer 116, 116–121.
57. P Lagiou , HO Adami & D Trichopoulos (2006) Early life diet and the risk for adult breast cancer. Nutr Cancer 56, 158–161.
61. C Catsburg , AB Miller & TE Rohan (2014) Adherence to cancer prevention guidelines and risk of breast cancer. Int J Cancer 135, 2444–2452.
62. AJ McMichael (2008) Food, nutrition, physical activity and cancer prevention. Authoritative report from World Cancer Research Fund provides global update. Public Health Nutr 11, 762–763.
63. KW Reding , M Zahid , E Cavalieri , et al. (2014) Associations between dietary intake of fruits and vegetables in relation to urinary estrogen DNA adduct ratio. Open J Prev Med 4, 429–437.
68. MF McCarty (2011) mTORC1 activity as a determinant of cancer risk – rationalizing the cancer-preventive effects of adiponectin, metformin, rapamycin, and low-protein vegan diets. Med Hypotheses 77, 642–648.
69. DR Clemmons & LE Underwood (1991) Nutritional regulation of IGF-I and IGF binding proteins. Annu Rev Nutr 11, 393–412.