- Get access
- Contains open access
- ISSN: 0960-7773 (Print), 1469-2171 (Online)
- Editors: Dr Emile Chabal University of Edinburgh, UK, Dr Celia Donert University of Cambridge, UK, Dr Eirini Karamouzi University of Sheffield, UK/American College of Greece, Greece, and Dr Quinn Slobodian Wellesley College, USA
- Editorial board
Contemporary European History covers the history of Eastern and Western Europe, including the United Kingdom, from 1914 to the present. By combining a wide geographical compass with a relatively short time span, the journal achieves both range and depth in its coverage. It is open to all forms of historical inquiry - including cultural, economic, international, political and social approaches - and welcomes comparative and transnational analysis. One issue per year explores a broad theme under the guidance of a guest editor. The journal regularly features contributions from scholars outside the Anglophone community and acts as a channel of communication between European historians throughout the continent and beyond it.
CEH Prize winning article ‘Experiences of Time and the Decline of Social Conflict in Late Twentieth Century Italy (Fiat, 1979-1980)’
- 07 March 2022,
- Myers’s work excavates how the subjective shock of the end of a long-standing model of the organized industrial workplace in Italy manifested as a disruption...
A Spanish Civil War Scrapbook
- 16 August 2022,
- All I hoped as I embarked on my doctorate devoted to cross-cultural encounters between the International Brigades and the Spaniards who hosted them in the course...
Making “Freedom Energies”? How 1980s struggles over market access shaped the rise of renewables in Germany
- 29 July 2022,
- In a special session of parliament held on 27 February 2022, German Minister of Finance Christian Lindner discussed how the Russian invasion of Ukraine affected...
Fiume’s Post-1918 Transition in Gendered Workplaces: Teachers and Tobacco Workers
- 30 May 2022,
- In 2020, the city of Rijeka, which is located in the Kvarner gulf in present-day Croatia, was awarded the title of European Capital of Culture. Although the...