This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. PS Mead , Food-related illness and death in the United States. Emerging Infectious Diseases 1999; 5: 607–625.
2. AM Dechet , Outbreak of multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium definitive type 104 infection linked to commercial ground beef, northeastern United States, 2003–2004. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2006; 42: 747–752.
3. SJ Olsen , Multidrug-resistant Salmonella typhimurium infection from milk contaminated after pasteurization. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2004; 10: 932–935.
4. SH Cody , Two outbreaks of multidrug-resistant Salmonella serotype Typhimurium DT104 infections linked to raw-milk cheese in northern California. Journal of the American Medical Association 1999; 281: 1805–1810.
5. A Gupta , Emergence of multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica serotype Newport infections resistant to expanded-spectrum cephalosporins in the United States. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2003; 188: 1707–1716.
6. M Helms , Excess mortality associated with antimicrobial drug-resistant Salmonella typhimurium. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2002; 8: 490–495.
7. LJ Martin , Increased burden of illness associated with antimicrobial-resistant Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium infections. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2004; 189: 377–384.
8. T Humphrey . Science and society – Salmonella, stress responses and food safety. Nature Reviews Microbiology 2004; 2: 504–509.
9. C Wray , A three-year study of Salmonella dublin infection in a closed dairy herd. Veterinary Record 1989; 124: 532–537.
10. RJ Anderson , Epidemiologic and biological characteristics of salmonellosis in three dairy herds. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 2001; 219: 310–322.
11. RN Cobbold , Long-term persistence of multi-drug-resistant Salmonella enterica serovar Newport in two dairy herds. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 2006; 228: 585–591.
12. RM Anderson , RM May . Infectious Diseases of Humans: Dynamics and Control. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 1992.
13. YN Xiao , Understanding the dynamics of Salmonella infections in dairy herds: a modelling approach. Journal of Theoretical Biology 2005; 233: 159–175.
14. Y Xiao , A semi-stochastic model for Salmonella infection in a multi-group herd. Mathematical Biosciences 2006; 200: 214–233.
16. H De Jong , MO Ekdahl . Salmonellosis in calves – the effect of dose rate and other factors on transmission. New Zealand Veterinary Journal 1965; 13: 59–67.
21. EK Kabagambe , Risk factors for fecal shedding of Salmonella in 91 US dairy herds in 1996. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 2000; 43: 177–194.
22. LD Warnick , Effect of previous antimicrobial treatment on fecal shedding of Salmonella enterica subsp enterica serogroup B in New York dairy herds with recent clinical salmonellosis. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 2003; 56: 285–297.
25. CP Fossler , Herd-level factors associated with isolation of Salmonella in a multi-state study of conventional and organic dairy farms – I. Salmonella shedding in cows. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 2005; 70: 257–277.
26. JC Low , Rectal carriage of enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157 in slaughtered cattle. Applied and environmental microbiology 2005; 71: 93–97.
27. L Matthews , Heterogeneous shedding of Escherichia coli O157 in cattle and its implications for control. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 2006; 103: 547–552.
30. P van den Driessche , J Watmough . Reproduction numbers and sub-threshold endemic equilibria for compartmental models of disease transmission. Mathematical Biosciences 2002; 180: 29–48.
31. JK House , Evaluation of an autogenous Salmonella bacterin and a modified live Salmonella serotype choleraesuis vaccine on a commercial dairy farm. American Journal of Veterinary Research 2001; 62: 1897–1902.
33. JC Helton , FJ Davis . Illustration of sampling-based methods for uncertainty and sensitivity analysis. Risk Analysis 2002; 22: 591–622.
34. JC Helton , FJ Davis . Latin hypercube sampling and the propagation of uncertainty in analyses of complex systems. Reliability Engineering & System Safety 2003; 81: 23–69.
36. JO Lloyd-Smith , Superspreading and the effect of individual variation on disease emergence. Nature 2005; 438: 355–359.
37. MEJ Woolhouse , Heterogeneities in the transmission of infectious agents: implications for the design of control programs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 1997; 94: 338–342.
38. LR Nielsen , N Toft , AK Ersboll . Evaluation of an indirect serum ELISA and a bacteriological faecal culture test for diagnosis of Salmonella serotype dublin in cattle using latent class models. Journal of Applied Microbiology 2004; 96: 311–319.
39. P Mastroeni , Salmonella: immune responses and vaccines. Veterinary Journal 2001; 161: 132–164.