This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. R. J. Adrian , R. T. D. S. Ferreira & T. Boberg 1986 Turbulent thermal convection in wide horizontal fluid layers. Exp. Fluids 4, 121–141.
2. G. Ahlers , S. Grossmann & D. Lohse 2009 Heat transfer and large-scale dynamics in turbulent Rayleigh–Bénard convection. Rev. Mod. Phys. 81, 503.
J. D. Baker
A technique for the precise measurement of small fluid velocities. J. Fluid Mech.
5. T. Fuji 1963 Theory of the steady laminar natural convection above a horizontal line source and a point heat source. Intl J. Heat Mass Transfer 6, 597–606.
6. D. Funfschilling & G. Ahlers 2004 Plume motion and large scale circulation in a cylindrical Rayleigh–Bénard cell. Phys. Rev. Lett. 92 (19), 194502.
7. B. Gebhart , L. Pera & A. W. Schorr 1970 Steady laminar natural convection plume above a horizontal line heat source. Intl J. Heat Mass Transfer 13, 161–171.
9. W. N. Gill , D. W. Zeh & E. del Casal 1965 Free convection on a horizontal plate. Z. Angew. Math. Phys. 16, 532–541.
S. Grossman & D. Lohse
Scaling in thermal convection: a unifying theory. J. Fluid Mech.
12. S. Grossman & D. Lohse 2004 Fluctuations in turbulent Rayleigh Bénard convection: the role of plumes. Phys. Fluids 16, 4462–4472.
14. T. Haramina & A. Tilgner 2004 Coherent structures in boundary layers of Rayleigh–Bénard convection. Phys. Rev. E 69, 056306.
16. R. B. Husar & E. M. Sparrow 1968 Patterns of free convection flow adjacent to horizontal heated surfaces. Intl J. Heat Mass Transfer 11, 1208–1211.
J. J. Niemela , L. Skrbek , K. R. Sreenivasan & R. J. Donnely
The wind in confined thermal convection. J. Fluid Mech.
18. L. Pera & B. Gebhart 1973 On the stability of natural convection boundary layer flow over horizontal and slightly inclined surfaces. Intl J. Heat Mass Transfer 16, 1147–1163.
B. A. Puthenveettil , G. Ananthakrishna & J. H. Arakeri
Multifractal nature of plume structure in high Rayleigh number convection. J. Fluid Mech.
B. A. Puthenveettil & J. H. Arakeri
Plume structure in high Rayleigh number convection. J. Fluid Mech.
B. A. Puthenveettil & J. H. Arakeri
Convection due to an unstable density difference across a permeable membrane. J. Fluid Mech.
G. V. Ramareddy & B. A. Puthenveettil
The Pe ∼ 1 regime of convection across a horizontal permeable membrane. J. Fluid Mech.
Z. Rotem & L. Classen
Natural convection above unconfined horizontal surfaces. J. Fluid Mech.
(part 1), 173–192.
24. O. Shishkina & C. Wagner 2007 Local fluxes in turbulent Rayleigh–Bénard convection. Phys. Fluids 19, 085107.
O. Shishkina & C. Wagner
Analyis of sheet-like thermal plumes in turbulent Rayleigh–Bénard convection. J. Fluid Mech.
27. N. Tamai & T. Asaeda 1984 Sheet like plumes near a heated bottom plate at large Rayleigh number. J. Geophys. Res. 89, 727–734.
S. A. Theerthan & J. H. Arakeri
A model for near wall dynamics in turbulent Rayleigh–Bénard convection. J. Fluid Mech.
29. S. A. Theerthan & J. H. Arakeri 2000 Plan form structure and heat transfer in turbulent free convection over horizontal surfaces. Phys. Fluids 12, 884–894.
A. A. Townsend
Temperature fluctuations over a heated horizontal surface. J. Fluid Mech.
31. K. Q. Xia , S. Lam & S. Q. Zhou 2002 Heat flux measurement in high Prandtl number turbulent Rayleigh–Bénard convection. Phys. Rev. Lett. 88 (6), 064501.
32. Q. Zhou , C. Sun & K. Q. Xia 2007 Morphological evolution of thermal plumes in turbulent Rayleigh–Bénard convection. Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 074501.
33. Q. Zhou & K. Q. Xia 2010 Physical and geometrical properties of thermal plumes in turbulent Rayleigh Bénard convection. New J. Phys. 12, 075006.
34. G. Zocchi , E. Moses & A. Libchaber 1990 Coherent structures in turbulent convection, an experimental study. Physica A 166, 387–407.