This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. N Yasui , M Watanabe , Y Iwao , (1999) Laparoscopically assisted bowel resection for primary mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue lymphoma of the cecum. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 9, 156–159.
4. R Clancy (2003) Immunobiotics and the probiotic evolution. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 38, 9–12.
5. S Murosaki , Y Yamamoto , K Ito , (1998) Heat-killed Lactobacillus plantarum L-137 suppresses naturally fed antigen-specific IgE production by stimulation of IL-12 production in mice. J Allergy Clin Immunol 102, 57–64.
6. S Murosaki , K Muroyama , Y Yamamoto , (2000) Antitumor effect of heat-killed Lactobacillus plantarum L-137 through restoration of impaired interleukin-12 production in tumor-bearing mice. Cancer Immunol Immunother 49, 157–164.
8. T Fujiki , Y Hirose , Y Yamamoto , (2012) Enhanced immunomodulatory activity and stability in simulated digestive juices of Lactobacillus plantarum L-137 by heat treatment. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 76, 918–922.
10. N Maeda , R Nakamura , Y Hirose , (2009) Oral administration of heat-killed Lactobacillus plantarum L-137 enhances protection against influenza virus infection by stimulation of type I interferon production in mice. Int Immunopharmacol 9, 1122–1125.
11. Y Arimori , R Nakamura , Y Hirose , (2012) Daily intake of heat-killed Lactobacillus plantarum L-137 enhances type I interferon production in healthy humans and pigs. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 34, 937–943.
12. S Kaminogawa & M Nanno (2004) Modulation of immune functions by foods. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 1, 241–250.
13. MR Irwin & SW Cole (2011) Reciprocal regulation of the neural and innate immune systems. Nat Rev Immunol 11, 625–632.
15. S Cohen , DA Tyrrell & AP Smith (1993) Negative life events, perceived stress, negative affect, and susceptibility to the common cold. J Pers Soc Psychol 64, 131–140.
17. JR Kerr & DL Mattey (2008) Preexisting psychological stress predicts acute and chronic fatigue and arthritis following symptomatic parvovirus B19 infection. Clin Infect Dis 46, e83–e87.
18. RM Douglas (1999) Respiratory tract infections as a public health challenge. Clin Infect Dis 28, 192–194.
20. B Barrett , RL Brown , MP Mundt , (2009) Validation of a short form Wisconsin Upper Respiratory Symptom Survey (WURSS-21). Health Qual Life Outcomes 7, 76.
22. M Gleeson , NC Bishop , M Oliveira , (2011) Daily probiotic's (Lactobacillus casei Shirota) reduction of infection incidence in athletes. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 21, 55–64.
23. NP West , DB Pyne , AW Cripps , (2011) Lactobacillus fermentum (PCC®) supplementation and gastrointestinal and respiratory-tract illness symptoms: a randomised control trial in athletes. Nutr J 10, 30.
24. V Neville , M Gleeson & JP Folland (2008) Salivary IgA as a risk factor for upper respiratory infections in elite professional athletes. Med Sci Sports Exerc 40, 1228–1236.
25. P Openshaw , EE Murphy , NA Hosken , (1995) Heterogeneity of intracellular cytokine synthesis at the single-cell level in polarized T helper 1 and T helper 2 populations. J Exp Med 182, 1357–1367.
26. M Friedman (1937) The use of ranks to avoid the assumption of normality implicit in the analysis of variance. J Am Stat Assoc 32, 675–701.
27. WJ Conover & RL Iman (1981) Rank transformation as a bridge between parametric and non-parametric statistics. Am Statistician 35, 124–129.
28. K Hatakka , E Savilahti , A Ponka , (2001) Effect of long term consumption of probiotic milk on infections in children attending day care centres: double blind, randomised trial. BMJ 322, 1327.
32. K Van Puyenbroeck , N Hens , S Coenen , (2012) Efficacy of daily intake of Lactobacillus casei Shirota on respiratory symptoms and influenza vaccination immune response: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial in healthy elderly nursing home residents. Am J Clin Nutr 95, 1165–1171.
34. H Besedovsky , A del Rey , E Sorkin (1986) Immunoregulatory feedback between interleukin-1 and glucocorticoid hormones. Science 233, 652–654.
36. F Berkenbosch , J van Oers , A del Rey , (1987) Corticotropin-releasing factor-producing neurons in the rat activated by interleukin-1. Science 238, 524–526.
37. DM Nance & VM Sanders (2007) Autonomic innervation and regulation of the immune system (1987–2007). Brain Behav Immun 21, 736–745.
38. HJ Lee , N Takemoto , H Kurata , (2000) GATA-3 induces T helper cell type 2 (Th2) cytokine expression and chromatin remodeling in committed Th1 cells. J Exp Med 192, 105–115.
39. P Panina-Bordignon , D Mazzeo , PD Lucia , (1997) Beta2-agonists prevent Th1 development by selective inhibition of interleukin 12. J Clin Invest 100, 1513–1519.
42. SW Cole , JM Arevalo , R Takahashi , (2010) Computational identification of gene–social environment interaction at the human IL6 locus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107, 5681–5686.
43. KM Grebe , K Takeda , HD Hickman , (2009) Cutting edge: sympathetic nervous system increases proinflammatory cytokines and exacerbates influenza A virus pathogenesis. J Immunol 184, 540–544.
46. DJ Shedlock & H Shen (2003) Requirement for CD4 T cell help in generating functional CD8 T cell memory. Science 300, 337–339.
49. M Blazik , P Hutchinson , MD Jose , (2005) Leukocyte phenotype and function predicts infection risk in renal transplant recipients. Nephrol Dial Transplant 20, 2226–2230.
50. E Rodrigo , M Lopez-Hoyos , M Corral , (2012) ImmuKnow as a diagnostic tool for predicting infection and acute rejection in adult liver transplant recipients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Liver Transpl 18, 1245–1253.