This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. O Van de Rest , AA Berendsen , A Haveman-Nies , et al. (2015) Dietary patterns, cognitive decline, and dementia: a systematic review. Adv Nutr 6, 154–168.
5. F Gomez-Pinilla (2008) Brain foods: the effects of nutrients on brain function. Nat Rev Neurosci 9, 568–578.
6. MC Morris & CC Tangney (2014) Dietary fat composition and dementia risk. Neurobiol Aging 35, Suppl. 2, S59–S64.
8. SJ Kim , TG Son , HR Park , et al. (2008) Curcumin stimulates proliferation of embryonic neural progenitor cells and neurogenesis in the adult hippocampus. J Biol Chem 283, 14497–14505.
10. KN Green , H Martinez-Coria , H Khashwji , et al. (2007) Dietary docosahexaenoic acid and docosapentaenoic acid ameliorate amyloid-β and tau pathology via a mechanism involving presenilin 1 levels. J Neurosci 27, 4385–4395.
13. M Fahnestock , M Marchese , E Head , et al. (2012) BDNF increases with behavioral enrichment and an antioxidant diet in the aged dog. Neurobiol Aging 33, 546–554.
14. NW Milgram , SC Zicker , E Head , et al. (2002) Dietary enrichment counteracts age-associated cognitive dysfunction in canines. Neurobiol Aging 23, 737–745.
15. V Pop , E Head , M-A Hill , et al. (2010) Synergistic effects of long-term antioxidant diet and behavioral enrichment on β-amyloid load and non-amyloidogenic processing in aged canines. J Neurosci 30, 9831–9839.
16. PS Aisen , LS Schneider , M Sano , et al. (2008) High-dose B vitamin supplementation and cognitive decline in Alzheimer disease: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 300, 1774–1783.
17. AD Dangour , E Allen , D Elbourne , et al. (2010) Effect of 2-y n-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation on cognitive function in older people : a randomized, double-blind, controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr 91, 1725–1732.
18. AH Ford , L Flicker , H Alfonso , et al. (2010) Vitamins B12, B6, and folic acid for cognition in older men. Neurology 75, 1540–1547.
19. T Kwok , J Lee , CB Law , et al. (2011) A randomized placebo controlled trial of homocysteine lowering to reduce cognitive decline in older demented people. Clin Nutr 30, 297–302.
20. JA McMahon , TJ Green , CM Skeaff , et al. (2006) A controlled trial of homocysteine lowering and cognitive performance. N Engl J Med 354, 2764–2772.
21. RC Petersen , RG Thomas , M Grundman , et al. (2005) Vitamin E and donepezil for the treatment of mild cognitive impairment. N Engl J Med 352, 2379–2788.
22. JF Quinn , R Raman , RG Thomas , et al. (2010) Docosahexaenoic acid supplementation and cognitive decline in Alzheimer disease: a randomized trial. JAMA 304, 1903–1911.
24. O Van de Rest , JM Geleijnse , FJ Kok , et al. (2008) Effect of fish oil on cognitive performance in older subjects: a randomized, controlled trial. Neurology 71, 430–438.
25. JH Kang , N Cook , J Manson , et al. (2006) A randomized trial of vitamin E supplementation and cognitive function in women. Arch Intern Med 166, 2462–2468.
26. D Benton (2010) Neurodevelopment and neurodegeneration: are there critical stages for nutritional intervention? Nutr Rev 68, Suppl. 1, S6–S10.
27. CA De Jager & A Kovatcheva (2010) Summary and discussion: methodologies to assess long-term effects of nutrition on brain function. Nutr Rev 68, Suppl. 1, S53–S58.
28. A Otaegui-Arrazola , P Amiano , A Elbusto , et al. (2014) Diet, cognition, and Alzheimer’s disease: food for thought. Eur J Nutr 53, 1–23.
29. Y Freund-Levi , M Eriksdotter-Jönhagen , T Cederholm , et al. (2006) Omega-3 fatty acid treatment in 174 patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer disease: OmegAD Study: a randomized double-blind study. Arch Neurol 63, 1402–1408.
30. RA Sperling , PS Aisen , L Beckett , et al. (2011) Toward defining the preclinical stages of Alzheimer’s disease: recommendations from the National Institute on Aging–Alzheimer’s Association workgroups on diagnostic guidelines for Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimers Dement 7, 280–292.
32. R Perneczky , S Wagenpfeil , K Komossa , et al. (2006) Mapping scores onto stages: Mini-Mental State Examination and clinical dementia rating. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 14, 139–144.
33. PS Aisen , J Cummings & LS Schneider (2012) Symptomatic and nonamyloid/tau based pharmacologic treatment for Alzheimer disease. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med 2, a006395.
34. CA De Jager , A Oulhaj , R Jacoby , et al. (2012) Cognitive and clinical outcomes of homocysteine-lowering B-vitamin treatment in mild cognitive impairment: a randomized controlled trial. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 27, 592–600.
35. C Dufouil , A Alpérovitch , V Ducros , et al. (2003) Homocysteine, white matter hyperintensities, and cognition in healthy elderly people. Ann Neurol 53, 214–221.
36. S Seshadri , A Beiser , J Selhub , et al. (2002) Plasma homocysteine as a risk factor for dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. N Engl J Med 346, 476–483.
37. C-C Chiu , K-P Su , T-C Cheng , et al. (2008) The effects of omega-3 fatty acids monotherapy in Alzheimer’s disease and mild cognitive impairment: a preliminary randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 32, 1538–1544.
39. LK Lee , S Shahar , A-V Chin , et al. (2013) Docosahexaenoic acid-concentrated fish oil supplementation in subjects with mild cognitive impairment (MCI): a 12-month randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 225, 605–612.
40. JGZ Van Uffelen , MJM Chinapaw , W van Mechelen , et al. (2008) Walking or vitamin B for cognition in older adults with mild cognitive impairment? A randomised controlled trial. Br J Sports Med 42, 344–351.
42. T Kwok , J Lee , L Lam , et al. (2008) Vitamin B12 supplementation did not improve cognition but reduced delirium in demented patients with vitamin B12 deficiency. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 46, 273–282.
45. MC Morris , DA Evans , JL Bienias , et al. (2002) Vitamin E and cognitive decline in older persons. Arch Neurol 59, 1125–1132.
46. DC Park , G Lautenschlager , T Hedden , et al. (2002) Models of visuospatial and verbal memory across the adult life span. Psychol Aging 17, 299–320.
48. K Yurko-Mauro , D McCarthy , D Rom , et al. (2010) Beneficial effects of docosahexaenoic acid on cognition in age-related cognitive decline. Alzheimers Dement 6, 456–464.
49. J Durga , MPJ van Boxtel , EG Schouten , et al. (2007) Effect of 3-year folic acid supplementation on cognitive function in older adults in the FACIT trial: a randomised, double blind, controlled trial. Lancet 369, 208–216.
51. NL van der Zwaluw , RA Dhonukshe-Rutten , JP Van Wijngaarden , et al. (2014) Results of 2-year vitamin B treatment on cognitive performance: secondary data from an RCT. Neurology 83, 2158–2166.
52. VA Andreeva , E Kesse-Guyot , P Barberger-Gateau , et al. (2011) Cognitive function after supplementation with B vitamins and long-chain omega-3 fatty acids: ancillary findings from the SU.FOL.OM3 randomized trial. Am J Clin Nutr 94, 278–286.
54. W Jagust (2013) Vulnerable neural systems and the borderland of brain aging and neurodegeneration. Neuron 77, 219–234.
55. N Raz , P Ghisletta , KM Rodrigue , et al. (2010) Trajectories of brain aging in middle-aged and older adults: regional and individual differences. NeuroImage 51, 501–511.
56. BA Yankner , T Lu & P Loerch (2008) The aging brain. Annu Rev Pathol 3, 41–66.
58. AM Fjell , LT Westlye , H Grydeland , et al. (2013) Critical ages in the life course of the adult brain: nonlinear subcortical aging. Neurobiol Aging 34, 2239–2247.
60. DA Bennett , RS Wilson , PA Boyle , et al. (2012) Relation of neuropathology to cognition in persons without cognitive impairment. Ann Neurol 72, 599–609.
61. H Braak , DR Thal , E Ghebremedhin , et al. (2011) Stages of the pathologic process in Alzheimer disease: age categories from 1 to 100 years. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 70, 960–969.
64. A Konkel & NJ Cohen (2009) Relational memory and the hippocampus: representations and methods. Front Neurosci 3, 166–174.
65. M Naveh-Benjamin (2000) Adult age differences in memory performance: tests of an associative deficit hypothesis. J Exp Psychol Learn Mem Cogn 26, 1170–1187.
66. R Cabeza , E Ciaramelli , IR Olson , et al. (2008) The parietal cortex and episodic memory: an attentional account. Nat Rev Neurosci 9, 613–625.
67. JS Simons & HJ Spiers (2003) Prefrontal and medial temporal lobe interactions in long-term memory. Nat Rev Neurosci 4, 637–648.
68. AD Wagner , BJ Shannon , I Kahn , et al. (2005) Parietal lobe contributions to episodic memory retrieval. Trends Cogn Sci 9, 445–453.
69. G Casadesus , B Shukitt-Hale , HM Stellwagen , et al. (2004) Modulation of hippocampal plasticity and cognitive behavior by short-term blueberry supplementation in aged rats. Nutr Neurosci 7, 309–316.
71. C He , X Qu , L Cui , et al. (2009) Improved spatial learning performance of fat-1 mice is associated with enhanced neurogenesis and neuritogenesis by docosahexaenoic acid. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106, 11370–11375.
72. AL Petursdottir , SA Farr , JE Morley , et al. (2008) Effect of dietary n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on brain lipid fatty acid composition, learning ability, and memory of senescence-accelerated mouse. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 63, 1153–1160.
74. GP Lim , F Calon , T Morihara , et al. (2005) A diet enriched with the omega-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid reduces amyloid burden in an aged Alzheimer mouse model. J Neurosci 25, 3032–3040.
75. A Gazzaley & AC Nobre (2012) Top-down modulation: bridging selective attention and working memory. Trends Cogn Sci 16, 129–135.
77. AK Barbey , R Colom , J Solomon , et al. (2012) An integrative architecture for general intelligence and executive function revealed by lesion mapping. Brain 135, 1154–1164.
78. R Buckner (2004) Memory and executive function in aging and AD: multiple factors that cause decline and reserve factors that compensate. Neuron 44, 195–208.
80. KM Rodrigue , KM Kennedy , MD Devous , et al. (2012) β-Amyloid burden in healthy aging: regional distribution and cognitive consequences. Neurology 78, 387–395.
81. RA Sperling , PS Laviolette , K O’Keefe , et al. (2009) Amyloid deposition is associated with impaired default network function in older persons without dementia. Neuron 63, 178–188.
82. KM Kennedy , KM Rodrigue , MD Devous , et al. (2012) Effects of β-amyloid accumulation on neural function during encoding across the adult lifespan. NeuroImage 62, 1–8.
84. JL Bayer-Carter , PS Green , TJ Montine , et al. (2011) Diet intervention and cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers in amnestic mild cognitive impairment. Arch Neurol 68, 743–752.
85. TA Salthouse (2009) When does age-related cognitive decline begin? Neurobiol Aging 30, 507–514.
86. TA Salthouse (1996) The processing-speed theory of adult age differences in cognition. Psychol Rev 103, 403–428.
90. W Wen & P Sachdev (2004) The topography of white matter hyperintensities on brain MRI in healthy 60- to 64-year-old individuals. NeuroImage 22, 144–154.
91. GL Bowman , LC Silbert , D Howieson , et al. (2012) Nutrient biomarker patterns, cognitive function, and MRI measures of brain aging. Neurology 78, 241–249.
92. N Scarmeas , J Luchsinger , Y Stern , et al. (2011) Mediterranean diet and magnetic resonance imaging-assessed cerebrovascular disease. Ann Neurol 69, 257–268.
94. S Weintraub , AH Wicklund & DP Salmon (2012) The neuropsychological profile of Alzheimer disease. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med 2, a006171.
95. F Jessen , B Wiese , C Bachmann , et al. (2010) Prediction of dementia by subjective memory impairment: effects of severity and temporal association with cognitive impairment. Arch Gen Psychiatry 67, 414–422.
96. DE Hannula , D Tranel & NJ Cohen (2006) The long and the short of it: relational memory impairments in amnesia, even at short lags. J Neurosci 26, 8352–8359.
97. DE Hannula , JD Ryan , D Tranel , et al. (2007) Rapid onset relational memory effects are evident in eye movement behavior, but not in hippocampal amnesia. J Cogn Neurosci 19, 1690–1705.
99. JM Monti , GE Cooke , PD Watson , et al. (2015) Relating hippocampus to relational memory processing across domains and delays. J Cogn Neurosci 27, 234–245.
100. JM Monti , CH Hillman & NJ Cohen (2012) Aerobic fitness enhances relational memory in preadolescent children: the FITKids randomized control trial. Hippocampus 22, 1876–1882.
101. D Kumaran & EA Maguire (2009) Novelty signals: a window into hippocampal information processing. Trends Cogn Sci 13, 47–54.
102. PD Watson , JL Voss , DE Warren , et al. (2013) Spatial reconstruction by patients with hippocampal damage is dominated by relational memory errors. Hippocampus 23, 570–580.
103. Y Pertzov , TD Miller , N Gorgoraptis , et al. (2013) Binding deficits in memory following medial temporal lobe damage in patients with voltage-gated potassium channel complex antibody-associated limbic encephalitis. Brain 136, 2474–2485.
106. M Daneman & PA Carpenter (1980) Individual differences in working memory and reading. J Verbal Learn Verbal Behav 19, 450–466.
107. AR Conway , MJ Kane , MF Bunting , et al. (2005) Working memory span tasks: a methodological review and user’s guide. Psychonom Bull Rev 12, 769–786.
108. TL Harrison , Z Shipstead , KL Hicks , et al. (2013) Working memory training may increase working memory capacity but not fluid intelligence. Psychol Sci 24, 2409–2419.
109. CA de Jager , L Dye , EA de Bruin , et al. (2014) Criteria for validation and selection of cognitive tests for investigating the effects of foods and nutrients. Nutr Rev 72, 162–179.
110. SV Sizonenko , C Babiloni , JW Sijben , et al. (2013) Brain imaging and human nutrition: which measures to use in intervention studies? Adv Nutr 4, 554–556.
111. KB Walhovd , AB Storsve , LT Westlye , et al. (2014) Blood markers of fatty acids and vitamin D, cardiovascular measures, body mass index, and physical activity relate to longitudinal cortical thinning in normal aging. Neurobiol Aging 35, 1055–1064.
113. G Douaud , H Refsum , CA de Jager , et al. (2013) Preventing Alzheimer’s disease-related gray matter atrophy by B-vitamin treatment. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110, 9523–9528.
114. F Jernerén , AK Elshorbagy , A Oulhaj , et al. (2015) Brain atrophy in cognitively impaired elderly: the importance of long-chain ω-3 fatty acids and B vitamin status in a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr 102, 215–221.
115. A Peters , JH Morrison , DL Rosene , et al. (1998) Feature article: are neurons lost from the primate cerebral cortex during normal aging? Cereb Cortex 8, 295–300.
116. PR Rapp & M Gallagher (1996) Preserved neuron number in the hippocampus of aged rats with spatial learning deficits. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93, 9926–9930.
117. FM Gunning-Dixon , AM Brickman , JC Cheng , et al. (2009) Aging of cerebral white matter: a review of MRI findings. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 24, 109–117.
118. FM Gunning-Dixon & N Raz (2000) The cognitive correlates of white matter abnormalities in normal aging: a quantitative review. Neuropsychology 14, 224–232.
120. R Schmidt , H Schmidt , J Haybaeck , et al. (2011) Heterogeneity in age-related white matter changes. Acta Neuropathol 122, 171–185.
121. R Estruch , E Ros , J Salas-Salvadó , et al. (2013) Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with a Mediterranean diet. N Engl J Med 368, 1279–1290.
123. H Gardener , N Scarmeas , Y Gu , et al. (2012) Mediterranean diet and white matter hyperintensity volume in Northern Manhattan Study. Arch Neurol 69, 251–256.
124. JK Virtanen , DS Siscovick , WT Longstreth , et al. (2008) Fish consumption and risk of subclinical brain abnormalities on MRI in older adults. Neurology 71, 439–446.
125. JK Virtanen , DS Siscovick , RN Lemaitre , et al. (2013) Circulating omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and subclinical brain abnormalities on MRI in older adults: the Cardiovascular Health Study. J Am Heart Assoc 2, e000305.
127. L Minati , M Grisoli & MG Bruzzone (2007) MR spectroscopy, functional MRI, and diffusion-tensor imaging in the aging brain: a conceptual review. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 20, 3–21.
128. JA Detre , JS Leigh , DS Williams , et al. (1992) Perfusion imaging. Magn Reson Med 23, 37–45.
129. J Detre , H Rao & D Wang (2012) Applications of arterial spin labeled MRI in the brain. J Mag Reson Imaging 35, 1026–1037.
131. SB Chapman , S Aslan , JS Spence , et al. (2013) Shorter term aerobic exercise improves brain, cognition, and cardiovascular fitness in aging. Front Aging Neurosci 5, 75.
133. ME Raichle & AZ Snyder (2007) A default mode of brain function: a brief history of an evolving idea. NeuroImage 37, 1083–1090.