2. Q Qiao , W Gao , L Zhang , R Nyamdorj & J Tuomilehto (2007) Metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease. Ann Clin Biochem 44, 232–263.
3. SM Grundy (2006) Metabolic syndrome: connecting and reconciling cardiovascular and diabetes worlds. J Am Coll Cardiol 47, 1093–1100.
4. RA Anderson (1998) Chromium, glucose intolerance and diabetes. J Am Coll Nutr 17, 548–555.
6. WT Cefalu & FB Hu (2004) Role of chromium in human health and in diabetes. Diabetes Care 27, 2741–2751.
7. RA Anderson , N Cheng , NA Bryden , MM Polansky , J Chi & J Feng (1997) Elevated intakes of supplemental chromium improve glucose and insulin variables in individuals with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes 46, 1786–1791.
8. D Ghosh , B Bhattacharya , B Mukherjee , B Manna , M Sinha , J Chowdhury & S Chowdhury (2002) Role of chromium supplementation in Indians with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Nutr Biochem 13, 690–697.
9. H Rabinovitz , A Friedensohn , A Leibovitz , G Gabay , C Rocas & B Habot (2004) Effect of chromium supplementation on blood glucose and lipid levels in type 2 diabetes mellitus elderly patients. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 74, 178–182.
10. J Martin , ZQ Wang , XH Zhang , D Wachtel , J Volaufova , DE Matthews & WT Cefalu (2006) Chromium picolinate supplementation attenuates body weight gain and increases insulin sensitivity in subjects with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 29, 1826–1832.
11. R Bulbulian , DD Pringle & MS Liddy (1996) Chromium picolinate supplementation in male and female swimmers. Med Sci Sports Exerc 28, Suppl., S111.
12. RA Anderson (1998) Effects of chromium on body composition and weight loss. Nutr Rev 56, 266–270.
13. RA Anderson , NA Bryden , MM Polansky & JW Thorp (1991) Effects of carbohydrate loading and underwater exercise on circulating cortisol, insulin and urinary losses of chromium and zinc. Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 63, 146–150.
17. MD Lindemann , CM Wood , AF Harper , ET Kornegay & RA Anderson (1995) Dietary chromium picolinate additions improve gain:feed and carcass characteristics in growing-finishing pigs and increase litter size in reproducing sows. J Anim Sci 73, 457–465.
18. MQ Wang & ZR Xu (2004) Effect of chromium nanoparticle on growth performance, carcass characteristics, pork quality and tissue chromium in finishing pigs. Asian-Aust J Anim Sci 17, 1118–1122.
19. KW Mooney & GL Cromwell (1999) Efficacy of chromium picolinate on performance and tissue accretion in pigs with different lean gain potential. J Anim Sci 77, 1188–1198.
20. A Frank , M Anke & R Danielsson (2000) Experimental copper and chromium deficiency and additional molybdenum supplementation in goats. I. Feed consumption and weight development. Sci Total Environ 249, 133–142.
21. MH Pittler , C Stevinson & E Ernst (2003) Chromium picolinate for reducing body weight: meta-analysis of randomized trials. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 27, 522–529.
22. M Vrtovec , B Vrtovec , A Briski , A Kocijancic , RA Anderson & B Radovancevic (2005) Chromium supplementation shortens QTc interval duration in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Am Heart J 149, 632–636.
23. JB Vincent (2003) The potential value and toxicity of chromium picolinate as a nutritional supplement, weight loss agent and muscle development agent. Sports Med 33, 213–230.
24. HV Kobla & SL Volpe (2000) Chromium, exercise, and body composition. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 40, 291–308.
25. GR Pattar , L Tackett , P Liu & JS Elmendorf (2006) Chromium picolinate positively influences the glucose transporter system via affecting cholesterol homeostasis in adipocytes cultured under hyperglycemic diabetic conditions. Mutat Res 610, 93–100.
26. A Khan , NA Bryden , MM Polansky & RA Anderson (1990) Insulin potentiating factor and chromium content of selected foods and spices. Biol Trace Elem Res 24, 183–188.
27. CL Broadhurst , MM Polansky & RA Anderson (2000) Insulin-like biological activity of culinary and medicinal plant aqueous extracts in vitro. J Agric Food Chem 48, 849–852.
29. K Cusi , K Maezono , A Osman , M Pendergrass , ME Patti , T Pratipanawatr , RA DeFronzo , CR Kahn & LJ Mandarino (2000) Insulin resistance differentially affects the PI 3-kinase- and MAP kinase-mediated signaling in human muscle. J Clin Invest 105, 311–320.
30. B Qin , M Nagasaki , M Ren , G Bajotto , Y Oshida & Y Sato (2003) Cinnamon extract (traditional herb) potentiates in vivo insulin-regulated glucose utilization via enhancing insulin signaling in rats. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 62, 139–148.
32. A Khan , M Safdar , MM Ali Khan , KN Khattak & RA Anderson (2003) Cinnamon improves glucose and lipids of people with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 26, 3215–3218.
33. TN Ziegenfuss , JE Hofheins , RW Mendel , J Landis & R Anderson (2006) Effects of a water-soluble cinnamon extract on body composition and features of the metabolic syndrome in pre-diabetic men and women. J Int Soc Sports Nutr 3, 45–53.
34. Y Yu & TJ Lyons (2005) A lethal tetrad in diabetes: hyperglycemia, dyslipidemia, oxidative stress, and endothelial dysfunction. Am J Med Sci 330, 227–232.
35. RP Robertson (2004) Chronic oxidative stress as a central mechanism for glucose toxicity in pancreatic islet beta cells in diabetes. J Biol Chem 279, 42351–42354.
37. JG Wang , RA Anderson , GM III Graham , MC Chu , MV Sauer , MM Guarnaccia & RA Lobo (2007) The effect of cinnamon extract on insulin resistance parameters in polycystic ovary syndrome: a pilot study. Fertil Steril 88, 240–243.
38. RS Lucidi , AC Thyer , CA Easton , AE Holden , RS Schenken & RG Brzyski (2005) Effect of chromium supplementation on insulin resistance and ovarian and menstrual cyclicity in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertil Steril 84, 1755–1757.
39. F Bayram , K Unluhizarci & F Kelestimur (2002) Potential utility of insulin sensitizers in the treatment of patients with polycystic ovary syndrome. Treat Endocrinol 1, 45–53.
40. M Matsuda & R DeFronzo (1999) Insulin sensitivity indices obtained from oral glucose tolerance testing: comparison with the euglycemic insulin clamp. Diabetes Care 22, 1462–1470.
41. B Mang , M Wolters , B Schmitt , K Kelb , R Lichtinghagen , DO Stichtenoth & A Hahn (2006) Effects of a cinnamon extract on plasma glucose, HbA, and serum lipids in diabetes mellitus type 2. Eur J Clin Invest 36, 340–344.
43. H Cao , MM Polansky & RA Anderson (2007) Cinnamon extract and polyphenols affect the expression of tristetraprolin, insulin receptor, and glucose transporter 4 in mouse 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Arch Biochem Biophys 459, 214–222.
44. KJ Jarvill-Taylor , RA Anderson & DJ Graves (2001) A hydroxychalcone derived from cinnamon functions as a mimetic for insulin in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. J Am Coll Nutr 20, 327–336.