This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. T Lobstein , L Baur & R Uauy (2004) Obesity in children and young people: a crisis in public health. Obes Rev 5, 4–85.
2. JJ Reilly (2006) Tackling the obesity epidemic: new approaches. Arch Dis Child 91, 724–726.
5. RC Whitaker , MS Pepe , JA Wright , KD Seidel & WH Dietz (1998) Early adiposity rebound and the risk of adult obesity. Pediatrics 101, e5–e11.
6. WH Dietz (2000) Adiposity rebound: reality or epiphenomenon? Lancet 356, 2027–2029.
7. TJ Cole (2004) Children grow and horses race: is the adiposity rebound a critical period for later obesity? BMC Pediatr 4, 6–9.
8. RW Taylor , AM Grant , A Goulding & SM Williams (2005) Early adiposity rebound. Curr Op Clin Nutr Met Care 8, 607–612.
9. RW Taylor , A Goulding , NJ Lewis-Barned & SM Williams (2004) Rate of fat gain is faster in girls undergoing early adiposity rebound. Obes Res 12, 1228–1230.
10. JJ Reilly , DM Jackson , C Montgomery , LA Kelly , A Fisher , JY Paton & S Grant (2004) Total energy expenditure and physical activity in young Scottish children: mixed longitudinal study. Lancet 363, 211–212.
11. J Armstrong , AR Dorosty , JJ Reilly & PM Emmett (2003) Co-existence of social inequalities in under-nutrition and obesity in preschool children: population-based cross-sectional study. Arch Dis Child 88, 671–675.
12. S Kinra , RP Nelder & GJ Lewenden (2000) Deprivation and childhood obesity: a cross-sectional study of 20,973 children in Plymouth, UK. J Epidemiol Comm Health 54, 456–460.
14. M Wake , P Hardy , L Cantesford , M Sawyer & JB Carlin (2007) Overweight, obesity, and girth of Australian preschoolers: prevalence and socio-economic correlates. Int J Obes (Lond) 31, 1044–1051.
15. BL Sherry , Z Mei , KS Scanlon , A Mokdad & L Grummer-Strawn (2004) Trends in state-specific prevalence of overweight and underweight in 2–4 year old children from low income families 1984–2000. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 158, 1116–1124.
17. H Kalies , J Lerz & R Von Kries (2002) Prevalence of overweight and obesity and trends in BMI in German preschool children, 1982–1997. Int J Obes (Lond) 26, 1211–1217.
18. JV Freeman , TJ Cole , S Chinn , PRM Jones , EM White & MA Preece (1995) Cross sectional stature and weight reference curves for the UK. Arch Dis Child 73, 17–24.
19. RC Whitaker & SM Orzol (2006) Obesity among US urban preschool children: relationship to race, ethnicity, and socio-economic status. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 160, 578–584.
20. AR Dorosty , F Siassi & JJ Reilly (2002) Obesity in Iranian children. Arch Dis Child 87, 388–391.
21. SS Hawkins , TJ Cole & C Law (2008) Maternal employment and early childhood overweight. Int J Obes (Lond) 32, 30–38.
22. JJ Reilly , J Armstrong , AR Dorosty , PM Emmett , AR Ness , I Rogers , C Steer & A Sherriff (2005) Early life risk factors for childhood obesity: cohort study. Br Med J 330, 1357–1362.
24. K Huus , JF Ludvigsson , K Enska & J Ludvigsson (2007) Risk factors in childhood obesity: findings from the All Babies in South-East Sweden (ABIS) cohort. Acta Paediatr 96, 1321–1325.
25. C Li , MI Goran , H Kaur , N Nollen & JS Ahluwalia (2007) Developmental trajectories of overweight during childhood: role of early life factors. Obesity 15, 760–771.
26. PR Nader , M O'Brien , R Houts , R Bradley , J Belsky , R Crosroe , S Friedmanm , Z Mei & EJ Susman (2006) Identifying risk for obesity in early childhood. Pediatrics 118, e594–e601.
27. DS Freedman , LK Khan , LK Serdula , WH Dietz , SR Srinivasan & GS Berenson (2005). Racial differences in the tracking of childhood BMI to adulthood. Obes Res 13, 928–935.
28. AR Hughes , L Stewart , J Chapple , M Donaldson , M Zabihollah , SF Ahmed , CZH Kelnar & JJ Reilly (2008) Randomized controlled trial of a best practice individualized behavioral program for treatment of childhood overweight: Scottish Childhood Overweight Treatment Trial (SCOTT). Pediatrics 121, e539–e546.
29. T Quattrin , E Liu & N Shaw (2005) Obese children who are referred to the pediatric endocrinologist: characteristics and outcome. Pediatrics 115, 348–351.
30. JJ Reilly , A Kelly , P Ness , AR Dorosty , WHB Wallace , BES Gibson & PM Emmett (2001) Premature adiposity rebound in children treated for acute lymphoblastic leukemia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86, 2775–2778.
32. J Baird , D Fisher , P Lucus , J Kleinjen , H Roberts & C Law (2005) Being big or growing fast?: systematic review of size and growth in infancy and later obesity. Br Med J 331, 929–934.
33. KF Janz , JM Gilmore , SM Levy , EM Letuchy , TL Burns & TJ Beck (2007) Physical activity and femoral neck bone strength during childhood: the Iowa Bone Development Study. Bone 41, 216–222.
35. KJ Finn , N Johannsen & B Specker (2002) Factors associated with physical activity in preschool children. J Pediatr 140, 81–85.
36. DM Jackson , JJ Reilly , LA Kelly , C Montgomery , S Grant & JY Paton (2003) Objectively measured physical activity in 3–4 year old children. Obes Res 11, 420–425.
37. JJ Reilly , J Coyle , LA Kelly , GB Burke , S Grant & JY Paton (2003) An objective method for measurement of sedentary behavior in 3–4 year olds. Obes Res 11, 1155–1158.
40. JJ Reilly , V Penpraze , J Hislop , G Davies , S Grant & JY Paton (2008) Objective measurement of physical activity and sedentary behaviour: review with new data. Arch Dis Child (In the Press).
41. JJ Reilly , AR Ness & A Sherriff (2007) Epidemiological and physiological approaches to understanding the etiology of pediatric obesity: finding the needle in the haystack. Pediatr Res 61, 646–652.
42. AR Ness , SD Leary , IS Rogers , JC Wells , C Mattocks , JJ Reilly , G Davey-Smith & C Riddoch (2007) Objectively measured physical activity and fat mass in a large cohort of children. PLOS Med 4, e97–e101.
43. LB Andersen , M Nacro , LB Sardinha , K Froberg , U Ekelund , S Brage & SA Andersen (2006) Physical activity and clustered cardiovascular risk in children. Lancet 368, 299–304.
44. KJ Finn & B Specker (2000) Comparison of Actiwatch activity monitor and Children's Activity Rating Scale in children. Med Sci Sports Exerc 32, 1794–1797.
46. RR Pate , MJ Almeida , KL McIver , KA Pfeiffer & M Dowda (2006) Validation and calibration of an accelerometer in preschool children. Obesity 14, 2000–2006.
48. RP Troiano , D Berrigan , KW Dodd , LC Masse , T Tilert & M McDowell (2008). Physical activity in the US measured by accelerometer. Med Sci Sports Exerc 40, 181–188.
49. SJ Biddle , T Gorely , SJ Marshall , I Murdey & NJ Cameron (2004) Physical activity and sedentary behaviours in youth: issues and controversies. J Roy Soc Health 124, 29–33.
52. TN Robinson (1999) Reducing children's television viewing to prevent obesity: a randomised controlled trial. JAMA 282, 1561–1567.
53. JJ Reilly , L Kelly , C Montgomery , A Williamson , A Fisher , JH McColl , R Lo Conte , JY Paton & S Grant (2006) Physical activity to prevent obesity in young children: cluster randomised controlled trial. Br Med J 333, 1041–1045.
54. RR Pate , KA Pfeiffer , SG Trost , P Ziegler & M Dowda (2004) Physical activity among children attending preschools. Pediatrics 114, 1258–1263.
55. R Jago , T Baranowski , JC Baranowski , D Thompson & KA Greaves (2005) BMI from 3–6 years of age is predicted by TV viewing and physical activity, not diet. Int J Obes (Lond) 29, 557–564.
58. M Stead , G Hastings & L McDermott (2007) The meaning, effectiveness and future of social marketing. Obes Rev 8, Suppl. 1, 189–193.
59. A Must & DJ Tybor (2005) Physical activity and sedentary behavior: a review of longitudinal studies of weight and adiposity in youth. Int J Obes (Lond) 29, s84–s96.
63. HL Burdette & RC Whitaker (2005) Resurrecting free play in young children: looking beyond fitness and fatness to attention, affiliation, and affect. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 159, 46–50.
64. DA Christakis , FJ Zimmerman , DL Di-Giuseppe & CA McCarty (2004) Early television exposure and subsequent attentional problems in children. Pediatrics 113, 708–713.
65. BA Dennison , TA Erb & PL Jenkins (2002) Television viewing and television in bedroom associated with overweight risk among low-income preschool children. Pediatrics 109, 1028–1035.
66. EM Taveras , TJ Sandora , MC Shih , DR Degnan , DA Goldman & MW Gillman (2006) The association of television and video viewing with fast food intake by preschool-age children. Obesity 14, 2034–2041.
67. RJ Hancox & R Poulton (2006) Watching television is associated with childhood obesity but is it clinically important? Int J Obes (Lond) 30, 171–175.
68. RM Viner & TJ Cole (2005) Television viewing in early childhood predicts adult body mass index. J Pediatr 147, 429–435.
69. EA Vandewater , VJ Rideout , EA Wartella , X Huang , JH Lee & MS Shim (2007) Digital childhood: electronic media and technology use among infants, toddlers, and preschoolers. Pediatrics 119, e1006–e1015.
70. CD Summerbell , V Ashton , KJ Campbell , L Edmunds , S Kelly & E Waters (2003) Interventions for treating obesity in children. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2003, issue 3, CD001872. Chichester, West Sussex: John Wiley and Sons Ltd.
71. CD Summerbell , E Waters , LD Edmunds , S Kelly , T Brown & KJ Campbell (2005) Interventions for preventing obesity in children. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2005, issue 1, CD001871. Chichester, West Sussex: John Wiley and Sons Ltd.
72. JJ Reilly , M Wilson , CD Summerbell & DC Wilson (2002) Obesity diagnosis, prevention, and treatment: evidence based answers to common questions. Arch Dis Child 86, 312–395.
76. LK Certain & RS Kahn (2002) Prevalence, correlates, and trajectory of television viewing among infants and toddlers. Pediatrics 109, 634–642.
78. WB Strong , RM Malina , CJR Blinke (2005) Evidence-based physical activity for school-age youth. J Pediatr 146, 732–737.
79. SS Hawkins & C Law (2006) A review of risk factors for overweight in preschool children: a policy perspective. Int J Pediatr Obes 1, 195–209.
80. EM Van Sluijs , AM McMinn & SJ Griffin (2007) Effectiveness of interventions to promote physical activity in children and adolescents: systematic review of controlled trials. Br Med J 335, 703–707.
81. KF Janz (2006) Physical activity in epidemiology: moving from questionnaire to objective measurement. Br J Sports Med 40, 191–192.
82. ML Fitzgibbon , MR Stolley , L Schiffer , L Van-Horn , K Kaufer-Christoffel & A Dyer (2006) Hip Hop to Health Junior for Latino preschool children. Obesity 14, 1616–1625.
83. ML Fitzgibbon , MR Stolley , L Schiffer , L VanHorn , K Kaufer-Christoffel & A Dyer (2005) Two-year follow-up results for Hip Hop to Health Junior. J Pediatr 146, 618–625.
84. KF Janz , TL Burns & SM Levy (2005) Tracking of activity and sedentary behaviors in childhood. Am J Prev Med 29, 172–178.
85. X Yang , R Telema , E Leskinen , K Mansikkaniemi , J Viikari & OT Raitakari (2007) Testing a model of physical activity and obesity tracking from youth to adulthood. Int J Obes (Lond) 31, 521–527.
86. JC Lumeng , S Rahnama , D Appugliese , N Kacioti & RH Bradley (2006) Television exposure and overweight risk in preschoolers. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 160, 417–422.
89. ES Metallinos-Katsaras , PS Freedson , JE Fulton & B Sherry (2007) The association between an objective measure of physical activity and weight status in preschoolers. Obesity 15, 686–694.
90. G Moschonis , E Grammatikakis & Y Manios (2008) Perinatal predictors of overweight at infancy and preschool childhood: the GENESIS Study. Int J Obes (Lond) 32, 39–47.