This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. S Wild , G Roglic , A Green (2004) Global prevalence of diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030. Diabetes Care 27, 1047–1053.
2. A Must , J Spadano , EH Coakley (1999) The disease burden associated with overweight and obesity. JAMA 282, 1523–1529.
5. KM McTigue , R Harris , B Hemphill (2003) Screening and interventions for obesity in adults: summary of the evidence for the U.S. Preventive services task force. Ann Intern Med 139, 933–949.
6. A Peeters , L Bonneux , WJ Nusselder (2004) Adult obesity and the burden of disability throughout life. Obes Res 12, 1145–1151.
7. SP Messier , RF Loeser , GD Miller (2004) Exercise and dietary weight loss in overweight and obese older adults with knee osteoarthritis: the Arthritis, Diet, and Activity Promotion Trial. Arthritis Rheum 50, 1501–1510.
9. A Berghofer , T Pischon , T Reinhold (2008) Obesity prevalence from a European perspective: a systematic review. BMC Public Health 8, 200.
10. J Tuomilehto , J Lindstrom , JG Eriksson (2001) Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus by changes in lifestyle among subjects with impaired glucose tolerance. N Engl J Med 344, 1343–1350.
12. J Anhoj & AH Jensen (2004) Using the internet for life style changes in diet and physical activity: a feasibility study. J Med Internet Res 6, e28.
13. AG Tsai & TA Wadden (2005) Systematic review: an evaluation of major commercial weight loss programs in the United States. Ann Intern Med 142, 56–66.
14. S Heshka , JW Anderson , RL Atkinson (2003) Weight loss with self-help compared with a structured commercial program: a randomized trial. JAMA 289, 1792–1798.
15. CD Gardner , A Kiazand , S Alhassan (2007) Comparison of the Atkins, Zone, Ornish, and LEARN diets for change in weight and related risk factors among overweight premenopausal women: the A TO Z Weight Loss Study: a randomized trial. JAMA 297, 969–977.
17. E Frank & T Kunovich-Frieze (1995) Physicians’ prevention counseling behaviors: current status and future directions. Prev Med 24, 543–545.
18. JC Livaudais , CP Kaplan , JS Haas (2005) Lifestyle behavior counseling for women patients among a sample of California physicians. J Womens Health (Larchmt) 14, 485–495.
20. RF Kushner (1995) Barriers to providing nutrition counseling by physicians: a survey of primary care practitioners. Prev Med 24, 546–552.
21. DY Hung , TG Rundall , AF Tallia (2007) Rethinking prevention in primary care: applying the chronic care model to address health risk behaviors. Milbank Q 85, 69–91.
22. E Wagner (1996) Organizing care for patients with chronic illness. Milbank Q 74, 511–544.
24. EH Wagner (2004) Effective teamwork and quality of care. Med Care 42, 1037–1039.
25. EH Wagner , SM Bennett , BT Austin (2005) Finding common ground: patient-centeredness and evidence-based chronic illness care. J Altern Complement Med 11, Suppl. 1, S7–S15.
26. L Toop (1998) Primary care: core values. Patient centred primary care. Br Med J 316, 1882–1883.
29. J Manson , P Skerrett , P Greenland (2004) The escalating pandemics of obesity and sedentary lifestyle. A call to action for clinicians. Arch Intern Med 164, 249–258.
30. P Libby (2005) The forgotten majority: unfinished business in cardiovascular risk reduction. J Am Coll Cardiol 46, 1225–1228.
31. JG Scott , D Cohen , B DiCicco-Bloom (2004) Speaking of weight: how patients and primary care clinicians initiate weight loss counseling. Prev Med 38, 819–827.
32. CB Ruser , L Sanders , GR Brescia (2005) Identification and management of overweight and obesity by internal medicine residents. J Gen Intern Med 20, 1139–1141.
33. LR Simkin-Silverman , KA Gleason , WC King (2005) Predictors of weight control advice in primary care practices: patient health and psychosocial characteristics. Prev Med 40, 71–82.
34. CC Wee , EP McCarthy , RB Davis (1999) Physician counseling about exercise. JAMA 282, 1583–1588.
36. MA White , PD Martin , RL Newton (2004) Mediators of weight loss in a family-based intervention presented over the internet. Obes Res 12, 1050–1059.
37. DF Tate , RR Wing & RA Winett (2001) Using Internet technology to deliver a behavioral weight loss program. JAMA 285, 1172–1177.
38. J Harvey-Berino , D West , R Krukowski (2010) Internet delivered behavioral obesity treatment. Prev Med 51, 123–128.
40. RA Winett , DF Tate , ES Anderson (2005) Long-term weight gain prevention: a theoretically based Internet approach. Prev Med 41, 629–641.
42. J Harvey-Berino , S Pintauro , P Buzzell (2004) Effect of internet support on the long-term maintenance of weight loss. Obes Res 12, 320–329.
43. RR Wing , DF Tate , AA Gorin (2006) A self-regulation program for maintenance of weight loss. N Engl J Med 355, 1563–1571.
44. LJ Appel , JM Clark , HC Yeh (2011) Comparative effectiveness of weight-loss interventions in clinical practice. N Engl J Med 365, 1959–1968.
46. RA Winett , ES Anderson , JR Wojcik (2007) Guide to health: nutrition and physical activity outcomes of a group-randomized trial of an Internet-based intervention in churches. Ann Behav Med 33, 251–261.
47. A McConnon , SF Kirk , JE Cockroft . (2007) The Internet for weight control in an obese sample: results of a randomised controlled trial. BMC Health Serv Res 7, 206.
48. N Micco , B Gold , P Buzzell (2007) Minimal in-person support as an adjunct to internet obesity treatment. Ann Behav Med 33, 49–56.
49. PJ Morgan , DR Lubans , CE Collins (2011) 12-month outcomes and process evaluation of the SHED-IT RCT: an internet-based weight loss program targeting men. Obesity (Silver Spring) 19, 142–151.
51. LG Womble , TA Wadden , BG McGuckin (2004) A randomized controlled trial of a commercial internet weight loss program. Obes Res 12, 1011–1018.
52. J Wylie-Rosett , C Swencionis , M Ginsberg . (2001) Computerized weight loss intervention optimizes staff time: the clinical and cost results of a controlled clinical trial conducted in a managed care setting. J Am Diet Assoc 101, 1155–1162; quiz 1163–1154.
53. GG Bennett , SJ Herring , E Puleo (2010) Web-based weight loss in primary care: a randomized controlled trial. Obesity (Silver Spring) 18, 308–313.
54. K Rothert , VJ Strecher , LA Doyle (2006) Web-based weight management programs in an integrated health care setting: a randomized, controlled trial. Obesity (Silver Spring) 14, 266–272.
55. LP Svetkey , VJ Stevens , PJ Brantley (2008) Comparison of strategies for sustaining weight loss: the weight loss maintenance randomized controlled trial. JAMA 299, 1139–1148.
56. KL Funk , VJ Stevens , LJ Appel . (2010) Associations of internet website use with weight change in a long-term weight loss maintenance program. J Med Internet Res 12, e29.
57. EC Cussler , PJ Teixeira , SB Going (2008) Maintenance of weight loss in overweight middle-aged women through the Internet. Obesity (Silver Spring) 16, 1052–1060.
58. BC Gold , S Burke , S Pintauro (2007) Weight loss on the web: A pilot study comparing a structured behavioral intervention to a commercial program. Obesity (Silver Spring) 15, 155–164.
59. J Harvey-Berino , SJ Pintauro & EC Gold (2002) The feasibility of using Internet support for the maintenance of weight loss. Behav Modif 26, 103–116.
60. RA Krukowski , J Harvey-Berino , T Ashikaga (2008) Internet-based weight control: the relationship between web features and weight loss. Telemed J E Health 14, 775–782.
61. GD Foster , TA Wadden , AP Makris (2003) Primary care physicians' attitudes about obesity and its treatment. Obes Res 11, 1168–1177.
62. ET Hebert , MO Caughy & K Shuval (2012) Primary care providers' perceptions of physical activity counselling in a clinical setting: a systematic review. Br J Sports Med 46, 625–631.
63. I Melin , B Karlstrom , L Berglund (2005) Education and supervision of health care professionals to initiate, implement and improve management of obesity. Patient Educ Couns 58, 127–136.
64. L Treyzon (2005) Assessment of obesity management in medical examination. Nutr J 4, 10.
66. CC Wee , MB Hamel , RB Davis (2004) Assessing the value of weight loss among primary care patients. J Gen Intern Med 19, 1206–1211.
67. TA Wadden , DA Anderson , GD Foster (2000) Obese women's perceptions of their physicians’ weight management attitudes and practices. Arch Fam Med 9, 854–860.
68. KM McTigue , R Hess , CL Bryce . (2006) Perception of “healthy” body weight by patients with diabetes. Diabetes Care 29, 695–697.
69. S Katz , A Feigenbaum , S Pasternak (2005) An interactive course to enhance self-efficacy of family practitioners to treat obesity. BMC Med Educ 5, 4.
70. KS Yarnall , KI Pollak , T Ostbye (2003) Primary care: is there enough time for prevention? Am J Public Health 93, 635–641.
71. L Getz , JA Sigurdsson & I Hetlevik (2003) Is opportunistic disease prevention in the consultation ethically justifiable? Br Med J 327, 498–500.
73. AG Tsai , DA Asch & TA Wadden (2006) Insurance coverage for obesity treatment. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 1651–1655.
74. DK Ahern , JM Phalen & RE Mockenhaupt (2003) Science and the advancement of eHealth: a call to action. Am J Prev Med 24, 108–109.
75. KO Hwang , HL Stuckey , MC Chen . (2012) Primary care providers’ perspectives on online weight-loss programs: a big wish list. J Med Internet Res 14, e16.
76. KM McTigue , MB Conroy , L Bigi (2009) Weight loss through living well: translating an effective lifestyle intervention into clinical practice. Diabetes Educ 35, 199–204, 208.
77. KM McTigue , MB Conroy , R Hess (2009) Using the internet to translate an evidence-based lifestyle intervention into practice. Telemed JE Health 15, 851–858.
78. KM McTigue , T Bhargava , CL Bryce (2011) Patient perspectives on the integration of an intensive online behavioral weight loss intervention into primary care. Patient Educ Couns 83, 261–264.
86. A Bleakley , CR Merzel , NL VanDevanter (2004) Computer access and Internet use among urban youths. Am J Public Health 94, 744–746.
87. T Kind , ZJ Huang , D Farr (2005) Internet and computer access and use for health information in an underserved community. Ambul Pediatr 5, 117–121.
88. KD Mandl , S Feit , BM Pena (2000) Growth and determinants of access in patient e-mail and Internet use. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 154, 508–511.
89. R Hess , A Santucci , K McTigue (2008) Patient difficulty using tablet computers to screen in primary care. J Gen Intern Med 23, 476–480.
90. JE Barnett (2005) Online counseling: new entity, new challenges. Counsel Psychol 33, 872–880.
91. EA Ensher , C Heun & A Blanchard (2003) Online mentoring and computer-mediated communication: New directions in research. J Voc Behav 63, 264–288.
92. AB Rochlen , JS Zack & C Speyer (2004) Online therapy: Review of relevant definitions, debates, and current empirical support. J Clin Psychol 60, 269–283.
93. MJ Mallen , DL Vogel & AB Rochlen (2005) The practical aspects of Online counseling: Ethics, training, technology, and competency. Couns Psychol 33, 776–818.
94. LR Simkin-Silverman , MB Conroy , T Bhargava (2011) Development of an online diabetes prevention lifestyle intervention coaching protocol for use in primary care practice. Diabetes Educ 37, 263–268.
95. DB Bahr , RC Browning , HR Wyatt (2009) Exploiting social networks to mitigate the obesity epidemic. Obesity (Silver Spring) 17, 723–728.
96. KO Hwang , AJ Ottenbacher , AP Green (2010) Social support in an Internet weight loss community. Int J Med Inform 79, 5–13.
97. VA Reed , KE Schifferdecker , ME Rezaee (2012) The effect of computers for weight loss: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials. J Gen Intern Med 27, 99–108.