This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. C Dye , S Scheele , P Dolin (1999) Consensus statement. Global burden of tuberculosis: Estimated incidence, prevalence, and mortality by country. WHO Global Surveillance and Monitoring Project. JAMA 282, 677–686.
2. CR Horsburgh Jr (2004) Priorities for the treatment of latent tuberculosis infection in the United States. N Engl J Med 350, 2060–2067.
3. R Wood , G Maartens & CJ Lombard (2000) Risk factors for developing tuberculosis in HIV-1-infected adults from communities with a low or very high incidence of tuberculosis. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 23, 75–80.
5. W Raab (1946) Vitamin D – its bactericidal action. Chest 12, 409–415.
7. PT Liu , S Stenger , H Li (2006) Toll-like receptor triggering of a vitamin D-mediated human antimicrobial response. Science 311, 1770–1773.
8. SR Krutzik , M Hewison , PT Liu (2008) IL-15 links TLR2/1-induced macrophage differentiation to the vitamin D-dependent antimicrobial pathway. J Immunol 181, 7115–7120.
10. R Vieth (2005) The pharmacology of vitamin D, including fortification strategies. In Vitamin D pp. 995–1015 [ FH Glorieux , JW Pike and D Feldman ]. London: Academic Press.
12. AR Martineau , KA Wilkinson , SM Newton (2007) IFN-γ- and TNF-independent vitamin D-inducible human suppression of mycobacteria: The role of cathelicidin LL-37. J Immunol 178, 7190–7198.
15. K Anand & D Kaul (2003) Vitamin D3-dependent pathway regulates TACO gene transcription. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 310, 876–877.
16. Z Hmama , K Sendide , A Talal (2004) Quantitative analysis of phagolysosome fusion in intact cells: Inhibition by mycobacterial lipoarabinomannan and rescue by an 1alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3-phosphoinositide 3-kinase pathway. J Cell Sci 117, 2131–2140.
20. JM Yuk , DM Shin , HM Lee (2009) Vitamin D3 induces autophagy in human monocytes/macrophages via cathelicidin. Cell Host Microbe 6, 231–243.
21. DM Shin , JM Yuk , HM Lee (2010) Mycobacterial lipoprotein activates autophagy via TLR2/1/CD14 and a functional vitamin D receptor signalling. Cell Microbiol 12, 1648–1665.
28. R Roelandts (2005) A new light on Niels Finsen, a century after his Nobel Prize. Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed 21, 115–117.
32. PD Davies (1985) A possible link between vitamin D deficiency and impaired host defence to Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Tubercle 66, 301–306.
36. RJ Wilkinson , M Llewelyn , Z Toossi (2000) Influence of vitamin D deficiency and vitamin D receptor polymorphisms on tuberculosis among Gujarati Asians in west London: A case-control study. Lancet 355, 618–621.
39. KB Gibney , L MacGregor , K Leder (2008) Vitamin D deficiency is associated with tuberculosis and latent tuberculosis infection in immigrants from sub-Saharan Africa. Clin Infect Dis 46, 443–446.
40. LT Ho-Pham , ND Nguyen , TT Nguyen (2010) Association between vitamin D insufficiency and tuberculosis in a Vietnamese population. BMC Infect Dis 10, 306.
41. JM Grange , PD Davies , RC Brown (1985) A study of vitamin D levels in Indonesian patients with untreated pulmonary tuberculosis. Tubercle 66, 187–191.
43. AR Martineau , AC Leandro , ST Anderson (2010) Association between Gc genotype and susceptibility to TB is dependent on vitamin D status. Eur Respir J 35, 1106–1112.
47. J Arnaud & J Constans (1993) Affinity differences for vitamin D metabolites associated with the genetic isoforms of the human serum carrier protein (DBP). Hum Genet 92, 183–188.
49. S Abbas , J Linseisen , T Slanger (2008) The Gc2 allele of the vitamin D binding protein is associated with a decreased postmenopausal breast cancer risk, independent of the vitamin D status. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17, 1339–1343.
57. AR Martineau , RJ Wilkinson , KA Wilkinson (2007) A single dose of vitamin D enhances immunity to mycobacteria. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 176, 208–213.
65. C Wejse , VF Gomes , P Rabna (2009) Vitamin D as supplementary treatment for tuberculosis: A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 179, 843–850.
66. AR Martineau , PM Timms , GH Bothamley (2011) High-dose vitamin D3 during intensive-phase antimicrobial treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis: A double-blind randomised controlled trial. Lancet 377, 242–250.
67. R Vieth (2011) Vitamin D nutrient to treat TB begs the prevention question. Lancet 377, 189–190.