This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. C Degirolamo & LL Rudel (2010) Dietary monounsaturated fatty acids appear not to provide cardioprotection. Curr Atheroscler Rep 12, 391–396.
4. HC McGill Jr & JP Strong (1968) The geographic pathology of atherosclerosis. Ann N Y Acad Sci 149, 923–927.
5. BJ Webber , PG Seguin , DG Burnett (2012) Prevalence of and risk factors for autopsy-determined atherosclerosis among US service members, 2001–2011. JAMA 308, 2577–2583.
6. HC McGill Jr, CA McMahan & SS Gidding (2008) Preventing heart disease in the 21st century: implications of the Pathobiological Determinants of Atherosclerosis in Youth (PDAY) study. Circulation 117, 1216–1227.
7. SE Humphries , RA Whittall , CS Hubbart (2006) Genetic causes of familial hypercholesterolaemia in patients in the UK: relation to plasma lipid levels and coronary heart disease risk. J Med Genet 43, 943–949.
8. GR Thompson (2009) History of the cholesterol controversy in Britain. QJM 102, 81–86.
10. MC Smart , G Dedoussis , E Louizou (2010) APOE, CETP and LPL genes show strong association with lipid levels in Greek children. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 20, 26–33.
11. FL Crowe , PN Appleby , RC Travis (2013) Risk of hospitalization or death from ischemic heart disease among British vegetarians and nonvegetarians: results from the EPIC-Oxford cohort study. Am J Clin Nutr 97, 597–603.
14. BF Voight , GM Peloso , M Orho-Melander (2012) Plasma HDL cholesterol and risk of myocardial infarction: a Mendelian randomisation study. Lancet 380, 572–580.
15. MR Law , NJ Wald & AR Rudnicka (2003) Quantifying effect of statins on low density lipoprotein cholesterol, ischaemic heart disease, and stroke: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 326, 1423.
18. A Keys , JT Anderson & F Grande (1965) Serum cholesterol response to changes in the diet. IV. Particular saturated fatty acids in the diet. Metabolism 14, 776–776.
20. RP Mensink & MB Katan (1992) Effect of dietary fatty acids on serum lipids and lipoproteins. A meta-analysis of 27 trials. Arterioscler Thromb 12, 911–919.
24. PT Voon , TKW Ng , VKM Lee (2011) Diets high in palmitic acid (16 : 0), lauric and myristic acids (12 : 0 + 14 : 0), or oleic acid (18 : 1) do not alter postprandial or fasting plasma homocysteine and inflammatory markers in healthy Malaysian adults. Am J Clin Nutr 94, 1451–1457.
25. GM Fless , K Fischer-Dzoga , DJ Juhn (1982) Structural and functional changes of rhesus serum low density lipoproteins during cycles of diet-induced hypercholesterolemia. Arteriosclerosis 2, 475–486.
27. TK Ng , KC Hayes , GF DeWitt (1992) Dietary palmitic and oleic acids exert similar effects on serum cholesterol and lipoprotein profiles in normocholesterolemic men and women. J Am Coll Nutr 11, 383–390.
29. T Tholstrup , J Hjerpsted & M Raff (2011) Palm olein increases plasma cholesterol moderately compared with olive oil in healthy individuals. Am J Clin Nutr 94, 1426–1432.
30. SA Jebb , JA Lovegrove , BA Griffin (2010) Effect of changing the amount and type of fat and carbohydrate on insulin sensitivity and cardiovascular risk: the RISCK (Reading, Imperial, Surrey, Cambridge, and Kings) trial. Am J Clin Nutr 92, 748–758.
31. AC Tierney , J McMonagle , DI Shaw (2011) Effects of dietary fat modification on insulin sensitivity and on other risk factors of the metabolic syndrome-LIPGENE: a European randomized dietary intervention study. Int J Obes (2005) 35, 800–809.
32. DB Hunninghake , EA Stein , CA Dujovne (1993) The efficacy of intensive dietary therapy alone or combined with lovastatin in outpatients with hypercholesterolemia. N Eng J Med 328, 1213–1219.
33. K Smolina , FL Wright , M Rayner (2012) Determinants of the decline in mortality from acute myocardial infarction in England between 2002 and 2010: linked national database study. BMJ 344, d8059.
34. JB Keogh , JA Grieger , M Noakes (2005) Flow-mediated dilatation is impaired by a high-saturated fat diet but not by a high-carbohydrate diet. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25, 1274–1279.
35. R Andriantsitohaina , C Auger , T Chataigneau (2012) Molecular mechanisms of the cardiovascular protective effects of polyphenols. Br J Nutr 108, 1532–1549.
36. F Fuentes , J Lopez-Miranda , E Sanchez (2001) Mediterranean and low-fat diets improve endothelial function in hypercholesterolemic men. Ann Int Med 134, 1115–1119.
37. AI Jimenez-Morales , J Ruano , J Delgado-Lista (2011) NOS3 Glu298Asp polymorphism interacts with virgin olive oil phenols to determine the postprandial endothelial function in patients with the metabolic syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96, E1694–E1702.
38. TA Sanders , FJ Lewis , LM Goff (2013) SFAs do not impair endothelial function and arterial stiffness. Am J Clin Nutr 98, 677–683.
39. PJ Ong , TS Dean , CS Hayward (1999) Effect of fat and carbohydrate consumption on endothelial function. Lancet 354, 2134.
43. TA Sanders , T de Grassi , GJ Miller (2000) Influence of fatty acid chain length and cis/trans isomerization on postprandial lipemia and factor VII in healthy subjects (postprandial lipids and factor VII). Atherosclerosis 149, 413–420.
45. SE Berry , R Woodward , C Yeoh (2007) Effect of interesterification of palmitic acid-rich triacylglycerol on postprandial lipid and factor VII response. Lipids 42, 315–323.
49. TA Sanders , A Filippou , SE Berry (2011) Palmitic acid in the sn-2 position of triacylglycerols acutely influences postprandial lipid metabolism. Am J Clin Nutr 94, 1433–1441.
52. GJ Miller (2005) Dietary fatty acids and the haemostatic system. Atherosclerosis 179, 213–227.
53. U Riserus , WC Willett & FB Hu (2009) Dietary fats and prevention of type 2 diabetes. Prog Lipid Res 48, 44–51.
54. B Vessby , M Uusitupa , K Hermansen (2001) Substituting dietary saturated for monounsaturated fat impairs insulin sensitivity in healthy men and women: The KANWU Study. Diabetologia 44, 312–319.
55. MB Bos , JH de Vries , EJ Feskens (2010) Effect of a high monounsaturated fatty acids diet and a Mediterranean diet on serum lipids and insulin sensitivity in adults with mild abdominal obesity. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 20, 591–598.
56. A Astrup , J Dyerberg , P Elwood (2011) The role of reducing intakes of saturated fat in the prevention of cardiovascular disease: where does the evidence stand in 2010? Am J Clin Nutr 93, 684–688.
57. WM Verschuren , DR Jacobs , BP Bloemberg (1995) Serum total cholesterol and long-term coronary heart disease mortality in different cultures. Twenty-five-year follow-up of the seven countries study. JAMA 274, 131–136.
58. P Huijbregts , E Feskens , L Rasanen (1997) Dietary pattern and 20 year mortality in elderly men in Finland, Italy, and The Netherlands: longitudinal cohort study. BMJ 315, 13–17.
59. PW Siri-Tarino , Q Sun , FB Hu (2010) Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease. Am J Clin Nutr 91, 535–546.
60. D Mozaffarian & R Clarke (2009) Quantitative effects on cardiovascular risk factors and coronary heart disease risk of replacing partially hydrogenated vegetable oils with other fats and oils. Eur J Clin Nutr 63, Suppl. 2, S22–S33.
61. MU Jakobsen , EJ O'Reilly , BL Heitmann (2009) Major types of dietary fat and risk of coronary heart disease: a pooled analysis of 11 cohort studies. Am J Clin Nutr 89, 1425–1432.
62. MU Jakobsen , C Dethlefsen , AM Joensen (2010) Intake of carbohydrates compared with intake of saturated fatty acids and risk of myocardial infarction: importance of the glycemic index. Am J Clin Nutr 91, 1764–1768.
63. BV Howard , L Van Horn , J Hsia (2006) Low-fat dietary pattern and risk of cardiovascular disease: the Women's Health Initiative Randomized Controlled Dietary Modification Trial. JAMA 295, 655–666.
65. D Mozaffarian , LJ Appel & L Van Horn (2011) Components of a cardioprotective diet: new insights. Circulation 123, 2870–2891.
66. P Legrand , A Morise & E Kalonji (2011) Update of French nutritional recommendations for fatty acids. World Rev Nutr Diet 102, 137–143.
67. H Tunstall-Pedoe , K Kuulasmaa , P Amouyel (1994) Myocardial infarction and coronary deaths in the World Health Organization MONICA Project. Registration procedures, event rates, and case-fatality rates in 38 populations from 21 countries in four continents. Circulation 90, 583–612.
70. L Hooper , A Abdelhamid , HJ Moore (2012) Effect of reducing total fat intake on body weight: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials and cohort studies. BMJ 345, e7666.
71. S Rohrmann , K Overvad , HB Bueno-de-Mesquita (2013) Meat consumption and mortality–results from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. BMC Med 11, 63.
72. E Patterson , SC Larsson , A Wolk (2013) Association between dairy food consumption and risk of myocardial infarction in women differs by type of dairy food. J Nutr 143, 74–79.
73. KT Khaw , MD Friesen , E Riboli (2012) Plasma phospholipid fatty acid concentration and incident coronary heart disease in men and women: the EPIC-Norfolk prospective study. PLoS Med 9, e1001255.
74. MC de Oliveira Otto , JA Nettleton , RN Lemaitre (2013) Biomarkers of dairy fatty acids and risk of cardiovascular disease in the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis. J Am Heart Assoc 2, e000092.