This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. J Blundell , C de Graaf , T Hulshof (2010) Appetite control: methodological aspects of the evaluation of foods. Obes Rev 11, 251–270.
5. N Delzenne , J Blundell , F Brouns (2010) Gastrointestinal targets of appetite regulation in humans. Obes Rev 11, 234–250.
9. M Veldhorst , A Smeets , S Soenen (2008) Protein-induced satiety: effects and mechanisms of different proteins. Physiol Behav 94, 300–307.
10. AG Nieuwenhuizen , AH Hochstenbach-Waelen , MAB Veldhorst (2009) Acute effects of breakfasts containing alpha-lactalbumin, or gelatin with or without added tryptophan, on hunger, ‘satiety’ hormones and amino acid profiles. Br J Nutr 101, 1859–1866.
12. AA Burns , MBE Livingstone , RW Welch (2000) Short-term effects of yoghurt containing a novel fat emulsion on energy and macronutrient intakes in non-obese subjects. Int J Obes (Lond) 24, 1419–1425.
13. MMJW Kamphuis , MPGM Lejeune , WHM Saris (2003) Effect of conjugated linoleic acid supplementation after weight loss on appetite and food intake in overweight subjects. Eur J Clin Nutr 57, 1268–1274.
14. J Maljaars , EA Romeyn , E Haddeman (2009) Effect of fat saturation on satiety, hormone release, and food intake. Am J Clin Nutr 89, 1019–1024.
15. L Marciani , R Faulks , MSJ Wickham (2009) Effect of intragastric acid stability of fat emulsions on gastric emptying, plasma lipid profile and postprandial satiety. Br J Nutr 101, 919–928.
17. MA Pereira & DS Ludwig (2001) Dietary fiber and body-weight weight regulation – observations and mechanisms. Pediatr Clin North Am 48, 969–980.
21. SA Moorhead , RW Welch , MBE Livingstone (2006) The effects fibre content and physical structure of carrots on satiety and subsequent intakes when eaten as part of a mixed meal. Br J Nutr 96, 587–595.
22.EFSA Panel on Dietetic Products, Nutrition, and Allergies (NDA)
) Scientific Opinion on Dietary reference values for water
. EFSA Journal 8
. [48 pp.]. doi: 10.2903/j.efsa.2010.1459
. Available online at http://www.efsa.europa.eu
23. GM Campbell & E Mougeot (1999) Creation and characterisation of aerated food products. Trends Food Sci Technol 10, 283–296.
25. RW Gray , SJ French , TM Robinson (2002) Dissociation of the effects of preload volume and energy content on subjective appetite and food intake. Physiol Behav 76, 57–64.
26. RW Gray , SJ French , TM Robinson (2003) Increasing preload volume with water, reduces rated appetite but not food intake in healthy men even with minimum delay between preload and test meal. Nutr Neurosci 6, 29–37.
28. BJ Rolls & LS Roe (2002) Effect of the volume of liquid food infused intragastrically on satiety in women. Physiol Behav 76, 623–631.
29. JD Latner , JK Rosewall & AM Chisholm (2009) Food volume effects on intake and appetite in women with binge-eating disorder and weight-matched controls. Int J Eat Disord 42, 68–75.
34. G de Graaf & T Hulshof (1996) Effects of weight and energy content of preloads on subsequent appetite and food intake. Appetite 26, 139–151.
35. GNM Norton , AS Anderson & MM Hetheringtonm (2006) Volume and variety: relative effects on food intake. Physiol Behav 87, 714–722.
36. SA Moorhead , MBE Livingstone , A Dunne (2008) The level of carbonation of a sugar-sweetened beverage preload affects satiety and short-term energy and food intakes. Br J Nutr 99, 1362–1369.
37. KM Osterholt , DS Roe & BJ Rolls (2007) Incorporation of air into a snack food reduces energy intake. Appetite 48, 351–358.
38. AJ Weber , SC King & HL Meiselman (2004) Effects of social interaction, physical environment and food choice freedom on consumption in a meal-testing environment. Appetite 42, 115–118.
39. E Almiron-Roig & A Drewnowski (2003) Hunger, thirst, and energy intakes following consumption of caloric beverages. Physiol Behav 79, 767–773.
41. DM DellaValle , LS Roe & BJ Rolls (2005) Does the consumption of caloric and non-caloric beverages with a meal affect energy intake? Appetite 44, 187–93.
42. ER Dove , JM Hodgson , IB Puddey (2009) Skim milk compared with a fruit drink acutely reduces appetite and energy intake in overweight men and women. Am J Clin Nutr 90, 70–75.
43. A Himaya & J Louis-Sylvestre (1998) The effect of soup on satiation. Appetite 30, 199–210.
45. P Pouderoux , N Friedman , P Shirazi (1997) Effect of carbonated water on gastric emptying and intragastric meal distribution. Dig Dis Sci 42, 34–39.
46. R Cuomo , G Sarnelli , MF Savarese (2009) Carbonated beverages and gastrointestinal system: between myth and reality. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 19, 683–689.
47. P Burton & HJ Lightowler (2006) Influence of bread volume on glycaemic response and satiety. Br J Nutr 96, 877–882.
48. EA Bell , LS Roe & BJ Rolls (2003) Sensory-specific satiety is affected more by volume than by energy content of a liquid food. Physiol Behav 78, 593–600.
49. N Read , S French & K Cunningham (1994) The role of the gut in regulating food-intake in man. Nutr Rev 52, 1–10.
50. ET Rolls (2007) Understanding the mechanisms of food intake and obesity. Obes Rev 8, Suppl. 1, 67–72.
51. A Geliebter (1988) Gastric distension and gastric capacity in relation to food intake in humans. Physiol Behav 44, 665–668.
52. DY Kim , M Camilleri , JA Murray (2001) Is there a role for gastric accommodation and satiety in asymptomatic obese people? Obes Res 9, 655–661.
53. I Imaz , C Martinez-Cervell , EE Garcia-Alvarez (2008) Safety and effectiveness of the intragastric balloon for obesity. A meta-analysis. Obes Surg 18, 841–846.
54. JE Cecil , J Francis & NW Read (1998) Relative contributions of intestinal, gastric, oro-sensory influences and information to changes in appetite induced by the same liquid meal. Appetite 31, 377–390.
55. SJ French & JE Cecil (2001) Oral, gastric and intestinal influences on human feeding. Physiol Behav 74, 729–734.
57. EL Van Walleghen , JS Orr , CL Gentile (2007) Pre-meal water consumption reduces meal energy intake in older but not younger subjects. Obesity 15, 93–99.
58. BM Davy , EA Dennis , AL Dengo (2008) Water consumption reduces energy intake at a breakfast meal in obese older adults. J Am Diet Assoc 108, 1236–1239.
59. GK Grunwald , HM Seagle , JC Peters (2001) Quantifying and separating the effects of macronutrient composition and non-macronutrients on energy density. Br J Nutr 86, 265–276.
60. A Drewnowski (1998) Energy density, palatability, and satiety: implications for weight control. Nutr Rev 56, 347–353.
61. BJ Rolls (2010) Dietary strategies for the prevention and treatment of obesity. Proc Nutr Soc 69, 70–79.
63. KD Hall (2008) What is the required energy deficit per unit weight loss? Int J Obes (Lond) 32, 573–576.