This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
3. GT Heikens (2007) How can we improve the care of severely malnourished children in Africa? PLoS Med 4, e45.
4. GT Heikens , J Bunn , B Amadi (2008) Case management of HIV-infected severely malnourished children: challenges in the area of highest prevalence. Lancet 371, 1305–1307.
5. E Cartmell , H Natalal , I Francois (2005) Nutritional and clinical status of children admitted to the malnutrition ward, Maputo central hospital: a comparison of data from 2001 and 1983. J Trop Pediatr 51, 102–105.
6. A Ashworth , M Chopra , D McCoy (2004) WHO guidelines for management of severe malnutrition in rural South African hospitals: effect on case fatality and the influence of operational factors. Lancet 363, 1110–1115.
10. MJ Manary & DR Brewster (2000) Intensive nursing care of kwashiorkor in Malawi. Acta Paediatr 89, 203–207.
11. N Karaolis , D Jackson , A Ashworth (2007) WHO guidelines for severe malnutrition: are they feasible in rural African hospitals? Arch Dis Child 92, 198–204.
13. T Ahmed , M Ali , MM Ullah (1999) Mortality in severely malnourished children with diarrhoea and use of a standardised management protocol. Lancet 353, 1919–1922.
14. S Collins & K Sadler (2002) Outpatient care for severely malnourished children in emergency relief programmes: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet 360, 1824–1830.
15. DR Brewster (2006) Critical appraisal of the management of severe malnutrition: 1. Epidemiology and treatment guidelines. J Paediatr Child Health 42, 568–574.
16. DR Brewster (2006) Critical appraisal of the management of severe malnutrition: 3. Complications. J Paediatr Child Health 42, 583–593.
17. K Maitland , JA Berkley , M Shebbe (2006) Children with severe malnutrition: can those at highest risk of death be identified with the WHO protocol? PLoS Med 3, e500.
18. S Collins & M Myatt (2000) Short-term prognosis in severe adult and adolescent malnutrition during famine: use of a simple prognostic model based on counting clinical signs. JAMA 284, 621–626.
19. S Collins & R Yates (2003) The need to update the classification of acute malnutrition. Lancet 362, 249.
22. DR Brewster , MJ Manary , IS Menzies (1997) Comparison of milk and maize based diets in kwashiorkor. Arch Dis Child 76, 242–248.
23. NH Alam , JD Hamadani , N Dewan (2003) Efficacy and safety of a modified oral rehydration solution (ReSoMaL) in the treatment of severely malnourished children with watery diarrhea. J Pediatr 143, 614–619.
25. S Hahn , S Kim & P Garner (2002) Reduced osmolarity oral rehydration solution for treating dehydration caused by acute diarrhoea in children. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, issue 1, CD002847. Chichester, West Sussex: John Wiley and Sons Ltd.
26. M English , M Ahmed , C Ngando (2002) Blood transfusion for severe anaemia in children in a Kenyan hospital. Lancet 359, 494–495.
27. KA Bojang , MB Van Hensbroek , A Palmer (1997) Predictors of mortality in Gambian children with severe malaria anaemia. Ann Trop Paediatr 17, 355–359.
28. YY Han , JA Carcillo , MA Dragotta (2003) Early reversal of pediatric-neonatal septic shock by community physicians is associated with improved outcome. Pediatrics 112, 793–799.
29. JA Carcillo , AL Davis & A Zaritsky (1991) Role of early fluid resuscitation in pediatric septic shock. JAMA 266, 1242–1245.
30. MW Merx & C Weber (2007) Sepsis and the heart. Circulation 116, 793–802.
31. B Goldstein , B Giroir & A Randolph (2005) International pediatric sepsis consensus conference: definitions for sepsis and organ dysfunction in pediatrics. Pediatr Crit Care Med 6, 2–8.
35. C Phornphatkul , Y Pongprot , R Suskind (1994) Cardiac function in malnourished children. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 33, 147–154.
36. SS Kothari , TM Patel , AN Shetalwad (1992) Left ventricular mass and function in children with severe protein energy malnutrition. Int J Cardiol 35, 19–25.
38. MM Parker , JA Hazelzet & JA Carcillo (2004) Pediatric considerations. Crit Care Med 32, Suppl., S591–S594.
39. A Cockfield & U Philpot (2009) Managing anorexia from a dietitian's perspective. Proc Nutr Soc 68 (In the Press; doi: 10.1017/S0029665109000).
40. Z Stanga , A Brunner , M Leuenberger (2008) Nutrition in clinical practice – the refeeding syndrome: illustrative cases and guidelines for prevention and treatment. Eur J Clin Nutr 62, 687–694.