This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. MF Holick (2007) Vitamin D deficiency. N Engl J Med 357, 266–281.
2. MC Chapuy , P Preziosi , M Maamer (1997) Prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency in an adult normal population. Osteoporos Int 7, 439–443.
3. RP Heaney , MS Dowell , CA Hale (2003) Calcium absorption varies within the reference range for serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D. J Am Coll Nutr 22, 142–146.
4. MF Holick (2009) Vitamin D status: Measurement, interpretation, and clinical application. Ann Epidemiol 19, 73–78.
5. A Mithal , DA Wahl , JP Bonjour (2009) Global vitamin D status and determinants of hypovitaminosis D. Osteoporos Int 20, 1807–1820.
6. B Dawson-Hughes , RP Heaney , MF Holick (2005) Estimates of optimal vitamin D status. Osteoporos Int 16, 713–716.
8. A Zittermann (2006) Vitamin D and disease prevention with special reference to cardiovascular disease. Prog Biophys Mol Biol 92, 39–48.
9. JS Adams & M Hewison Update in vitamin D. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95, 471–478.
10. JS Adams & M Hewison (2008) Unexpected actions of vitamin D: New perspectives on the regulation of innate and adaptive immunity. Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab 4, 80–90.
11. I Schuster (2011) Cytochromes P450 are essential players in the vitamin D signaling system. Biochim Biophys Acta 1814, 186–199.
13. S Liu & LD Quarles (2007) How fibroblast growth factor 23 works. J Am Soc Nephrol 18, 1637–1647.
14. Y Yamazaki , T Tamada , N Kasai (2008) Anti-FGF23 neutralizing antibodies show the physiological role and structural features of FGF23. J Bone Miner Res 23, 1509–1518.
15. Y Yoshiko , H Wang , T Minamizaki (2007) Mineralized tissue cells are a principal source of FGF23. Bone 40, 1565–1573.
16. S Fukumoto (2008) Physiological regulation and disorders of phosphate metabolism – pivotal role of fibroblast growth factor 23. Intern Med 47, 337–343.
17. MS Razzaque (2009) Does FGF23 toxicity influence the outcome of chronic kidney disease? Nephrol Dial Transplant 24, 4–7.
19. MR Haussler , CA Haussler , L Bartik (2008) Vitamin D receptor: Molecular signaling and actions of nutritional ligands in disease prevention. Nutr Rev 66, S98–S112.
20. PW Jurutka , L Bartik , GK Whitfield (2007) Vitamin D receptor: Key roles in bone mineral pathophysiology, molecular mechanism of action, and novel nutritional ligands. J Bone Miner Res 22, Suppl 2, V2–V10.
21. MF Holick (2006) Vitamin D: Its role in cancer prevention and treatment. Prog Biophys Mol Biol 92, 49–59.
22. C Zhou , F Lu , K Cao (2008) Calcium-independent and 1,25(OH)2D3-dependent regulation of the renin–angiotensin system in 1α-hydroxylase knockout mice. Kidney Int 74, 170–179.
23. YC Li , J Kong , M Wei (2002) 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3) is a negative endocrine regulator of the renin–angiotensin system. J Clin Invest 110, 229–238.
24. M Hewison (2011) Vitamin D and innate and adaptive immunity. Vitam Horm 86, 23–62.
25. M Hewison Antibacterial effects of vitamin D. Nat Rev Endocrinol 7, 337–345.
26. JS Adams & MA Gacad (1985) Characterization of 1α-hydroxylation of vitamin D3 sterols by cultured alveolar macrophages from patients with sarcoidosis. J Exp Med 161, 755–765.
28. M Hewison , F Burke , KN Evans (2007) Extra-renal 25-hydroxyvitamin D3−1α-hydroxylase in human health and disease. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 103, 316–321.
29. D Zehnder , R Bland , MC Williams (2001) Extrarenal expression of 25-hydroxyvitamin D(3)-1α-hydroxylase. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86, 888–894.
30. TK Gray , GE Lester & RS Lorenc (1979) Evidence for extra-renal 1α-hydroxylation of 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 in pregnancy. Science 204, 1311–1313.
31. Y Weisman , A Harell , S Edelstein (1979) 1α,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 and 24,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3in vitro synthesis by human decidua and placenta. Nature 281, 317–319.
32. D Zehnder , KN Evans , MD Kilby (2002) The ontogeny of 25-hydroxyvitamin D(3) 1α-hydroxylase expression in human placenta and decidua. Am J Pathol 161, 105–114.
33. KN Evans , JN Bulmer , MD Kilby (2004) Vitamin D and placental–decidual function. J Soc Gynecol Investig 11, 263–271.
34. JL Vanhooke , JM Prahl , C Kimmel-Jehan (2006) CYP27B1 null mice with LacZ reporter gene display no 25-hydroxyvitamin D3−1α-hydroxylase promoter activity in the skin. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103, 75–80.
35. B Novakovic , M Sibson , HK Ng (2009) Placenta-specific methylation of the vitamin D 24-hydroxylase gene: Implications for feedback autoregulation of active vitamin D levels at the fetomaternal interface. J Biol Chem 284, 14838–14848.
36. CS Kovacs & HM Kronenberg (1997) Maternal–fetal calcium and bone metabolism during pregnancy, puerperium, and lactation. Endocr Rev 18, 832–872.
38. K Townsend , KN Evans , MJ Campbell (2005) Biological actions of extra-renal 25-hydroxyvitamin D-1α-hydroxylase and implications for chemoprevention and treatment. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 97, 103–109.
40. HS Cross , E Kallay , H Farhan (2003) Regulation of extrarenal vitamin D metabolism as a tool for colon and prostate cancer prevention. Recent Results Cancer Res 164, 413–425.
41. M Li & V Batuman (2009) Vitamin D: A new hope for chronic kidney disease? Kidney Int 76, 1219–1221.
43. S Epstein , PH Stern , NH Bell (1984) Evidence for abnormal regulation of circulating 1α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D in patients with pulmonary tuberculosis and normal calcium metabolism. Calcif Tissue Int 36, 541–544.
44. NH Bell , J Shary , S Shaw (1985) Hypercalcemia associated with increased circulating 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D in a patient with pulmonary tuberculosis. Calcif Tissue Int 37, 588–591.
45. PT Liu , S Stenger , H Li (2006) Toll-like receptor triggering of a vitamin D-mediated human antimicrobial response. Science 311, 1770–1773.
46. M Zaiou & RL Gallo (2002) Cathelicidins, essential gene-encoded mammalian antibiotics. J Mol Med 80, 549–561.
47. M Zanetti (2004) Cathelicidins, multifunctional peptides of the innate immunity. J Leukoc Biol 75, 39–48.
48. TT Wang , FP Nestel , V Bourdeau (2004) Cutting edge: 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 is a direct inducer of antimicrobial peptide gene expression. J Immunol 173, 2909–2912.
49. AF Gombart , N Borregaard & HP Koeffler (2005) Human cathelicidin antimicrobial peptide (CAMP) gene is a direct target of the vitamin D receptor and is strongly up-regulated in myeloid cells by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3. FASEB J 19, 1067–1077.
50. AF Gombart , T Saito & HP Koeffler (2009) Exaptation of an ancient Alu short interspersed element provides a highly conserved vitamin D-mediated innate immune response in humans and primates. BMC Genomics 10, 321.
51. JS Adams , S Ren , PT Liu (2009) Vitamin D-directed rheostatic regulation of monocyte antibacterial responses. J Immunol 182, 4289–4295.
52. PT Liu , M Schenk , VP Walker (2009) Convergence of IL-1β and VDR activation pathways in human TLR2/1-induced antimicrobial responses. PLoS ONE 4, e5810.
54. DJ Klionsky & SD Emr (2000) Autophagy as a regulated pathway of cellular degradation. Science 290, 1717–1721.
55. B Levine & V Deretic (2007) Unveiling the roles of autophagy in innate and adaptive immunity. Nat Rev Immunol 7, 767–777.
56. JM Yuk , DM Shin , HM Lee (2009) Vitamin D3 induces autophagy in human monocytes/macrophages via cathelicidin. Cell Host Microbe 6, 231–243.
57. DM Shin , JM Yuk , HM Lee . Mycobacterial lipoprotein activates autophagy via TLR2/1/CD14 and a functional vitamin D receptor signalling. Cell Microbiol 12, 1648–1665.
58. S Yim , P Dhawan , C Ragunath (2007) Induction of cathelicidin in normal and CF bronchial epithelial cells by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3). J Cyst Fibros 6, 403–410.
59. KN Evans , L Nguyen , J Chan (2006) Effects of 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 on cytokine production by human decidual cells. Biol Reprod 75, 816–822.
60. N Liu , AT Kaplan , J Low (2009) Vitamin D induces innate antibacterial responses in human trophoblasts via an intracrine pathway. Biol Reprod 80, 398–406.
62. J Schauber , RA Dorschner , AB Coda (2007) Injury enhances TLR2 function and antimicrobial peptide expression through a vitamin D-dependent mechanism. J Clin Invest 117, 803–811.
63. TT Wang , B Dabbas , D Laperriere (2009) Direct and indirect induction by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 of the NOD2/CARD15-β∴ defensin 2 innate immune pathway defective in Crohn's disease. J Biol Chem 285, 2227–2231.
65. G Penna & L Adorini (2000) 1α,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 inhibits differentiation, maturation, activation, and survival of dendritic cells leading to impaired alloreactive T cell activation. J Immunol 164, 2405–2411.
66. L Adorini , G Penna , N Giarratana (2003) Tolerogenic dendritic cells induced by vitamin D receptor ligands enhance regulatory T cells inhibiting allograft rejection and autoimmune diseases. J Cell Biochem 88, 227–233.
67. G Penna , S Amuchastegui , N Giarratana (2007) 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 selectively modulates tolerogenic properties in myeloid but not plasmacytoid dendritic cells. J Immunol 178, 145–153.
68. M Hewison , L Freeman , SV Hughes (2003) Differential regulation of vitamin D receptor and its ligand in human monocyte-derived dendritic cells. J Immunol 170, 5382–5390.
69. MD Griffin , W Lutz , VA Phan (2001) Dendritic cell modulation by 1a,25 dihydroxyvitamin D3 and its analogs: A vitamin D receptor-dependent pathway that promotes a persistent state of immaturity in vitro and in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98, 6800–6805.
70. DK Panda , D Miao , ML Tremblay (2001) Targeted ablation of the 25-hydroxyvitamin D 1α-hydroxylase enzyme: Evidence for skeletal, reproductive, and immune dysfunction. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98, 7498–7503.
71. EY Enioutina , D Bareyan & RA Daynes (2009) TLR-induced local metabolism of vitamin D3 plays an important role in the diversification of adaptive immune responses. J Immunol 182, 4296–4305.
73. RJ Wilkinson , M Llewelyn , Z Toossi (2000) Influence of vitamin D deficiency and vitamin D receptor polymorphisms on tuberculosis among Gujarati Asians in west London: A case-control study. Lancet 355, 618–621.
74. A Ustianowski , R Shaffer , S Collin (2005) Prevalence and associations of vitamin D deficiency in foreign-born persons with tuberculosis in London. J Infect 50, 432–437.
75. B Williams , AJ Williams & ST Anderson (2008) Vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency in children with tuberculosis. Pediatr Infect Dis J 27, 941–942.
76. C Wejse , VF Gomes , P Rabna (2009) Vitamin D as supplementary treatment for tuberculosis: A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 179, 843–850.
77. AR Martineau , RJ Wilkinson , KA Wilkinson (2007) A single dose of vitamin D enhances immunity to mycobacteria. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 176, 208–213.
79. AR Martineau , PM Timms , GH Bothamley . High-dose vitamin D(3) during intensive-phase antimicrobial treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis: A double-blind randomised controlled trial. Lancet 377, 242–250.
80. RF Chun , AL Lauridsen , L Suon (2010) Vitamin D-binding protein directs monocyte responses to 25-hydroxy- and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95, 3368–3376.
81. AL Lauridsen , P Vestergaard , AP Hermann (2005) Plasma concentrations of 25-hydroxy-vitamin D and 1,25-dihydroxy-vitamin D are related to the phenotype of Gc (vitamin D-binding protein): A cross-sectional study on 595 early postmenopausal women. Calcif Tissue Int 77, 15–22.
82. J Arnaud & J Constans (1993) Affinity differences for vitamin D metabolites associated with the genetic isoforms of the human serum carrier protein (DBP). Hum Genet 92, 183–188.
83. A Nykjaer , D Dragun , D Walther (1999) An endocytic pathway essential for renal uptake and activation of the steroid 25-(OH) vitamin D3. Cell 96, 507–515.
84. L Jeng , AV Yamshchikov , SE Judd (2009) Alterations in vitamin D status and anti-microbial peptide levels in patients in the intensive care unit with sepsis. J Transl Med 7, 28.
85. AF Gombart , I Bhan , N Borregaard (2009) Low plasma level of cathelicidin antimicrobial peptide (hCAP18) predicts increased infectious disease mortality in patients undergoing hemodialysis. Clin Infect Dis 48, 418–424.
87. LV Hooper , TS Stappenbeck , CV Hong (2003) Angiogenins: A new class of microbicidal proteins involved in innate immunity. Nat Immunol 4, 269–273.
88. CD Packey & RB Sartor (2009) Commensal bacteria, traditional and opportunistic pathogens, dysbiosis and bacterial killing in inflammatory bowel diseases. Curr Opin Infect Dis 22, 292–301.
90. K Stoffels , L Overbergh , A Giulietti (2006) Immune regulation of 25-hydroxyvitamin-D(3)-1α-hydroxylase in human monocytes. J Bone Miner Res 21, 37–47.
91. SR Krutzik , M Hewison , PT Liu (2008) IL-15 links TLR2/1-induced macrophage differentiation to the vitamin D-dependent antimicrobial pathway. J Immunol 181, 7115–7120.
92. K Edfeldt , PT Liu , R Chun (2010) T-cell cytokines differentially control human monocyte antimicrobial responses by regulating vitamin D metabolism. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107, 22593–22598.
93. E Peelen , S Knippenberg , AH Muris (2011) Effects of vitamin D on the peripheral adaptive immune system: A review. Autoimmun Rev. Epublication ahead of print.
94. AK Bhalla , EP Amento , TL Clemens (1983) Specific high-affinity receptors for 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells: Presence in monocytes and induction in T lymphocytes following activation. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 57, 1308–1310.
95. DM Provvedini , CD Tsoukas , LJ Deftos (1983) 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 receptors in human leukocytes. Science 221, 1181–1183.
97. DM Provvedini & SC Manolagas (1989) 1α,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 receptor distribution and effects in subpopulations of normal human T lymphocytes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 68, 774–779.
100. L Overbergh , B Decallonne , M Waer (2000) 1α,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 induces an autoantigen-specific T-helper 1/T-helper 2 immune shift in NOD mice immunized with GAD65 (p524–543). Diabetes 49, 1301–1307.
101. A Boonstra , FJ Barrat , C Crain (2001) 1α,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 has a direct effect on naive CD4(+) T cells to enhance the development of Th2 cells. J Immunol 167, 4974–4980.
102. J O'Kelly , J Hisatake , Y Hisatake (2002) Normal myelopoiesis but abnormal T lymphocyte responses in vitamin D receptor knockout mice. J Clin Invest 109, 1091–1099.
103. LE Harrington , PR Mangan & CT Weaver (2006) Expanding the effector CD4 T-cell repertoire: The Th17 lineage. Curr Opin Immunol 18, 349–356.
104. CT Weaver , RD Hatton , PR Mangan (2007) IL-17 family cytokines and the expanding diversity of effector T cell lineages. Annu Rev Immunol 25, 821–852.
105. E Bettelli , T Korn & VK Kuchroo (2007) Th17: The third member of the effector T cell trilogy. Curr Opin Immunol 19, 652–657.
106. T Korn , M Oukka , V Kuchroo (2007) Th17 cells: Effector T cells with inflammatory properties. Semin Immunol 19, 362–371.
107. EM Colin , PS Asmawidjaja , JP van Hamburg (2010) 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 modulates Th17 polarization and interleukin-22 expression by memory T cells from patients with early rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 62, 132–142.
108. MT Palmer , YK Lee , CL Maynard (2010) Lineage-specific effects of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3) on the development of effector CD4 T cells. J Biol Chem 286, 997–1004.
109. SH Chang , Y Chung & C Dong (2010) Vitamin D suppresses Th17 cytokine production by inducing C/EBP homologous protein (CHOP) expression. J Biol Chem 285, 38751–38755.
110. C Daniel , NA Sartory , N Zahn (2007) Immune modulatory treatment of TNBS colitis with calcitriol is associated with a change of a Th1/Th17 to a Th2 and regulatory T cell profile. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 324, 23–33.
111. N Liu , L Nguyen , RF Chun (2008) Altered endocrine and autocrine metabolism of vitamin D in a mouse model of gastrointestinal inflammation. Endocrinology 149, 4799–4808.
112. S Gorman , LA Kuritzky , MA Judge (2007) Topically applied 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 enhances the suppressive activity of CD4+CD25+ cells in the draining lymph nodes. J Immunol 179, 6273–6283.
113. S Gregori , N Giarratana , S Smiroldo (2002) A 1α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3) analog enhances regulatory T-cells and arrests autoimmune diabetes in NOD mice. Diabetes 51, 1367–1374.
114. C Mathieu & K Badenhoop (2005) Vitamin D and type 1 diabetes mellitus: State of the art. Trends Endocrinol Metab 16, 261–266.
115. KM Spach , FE Nashold , BN Dittel (2006) IL-10 signaling is essential for 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3-mediated inhibition of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Immunol 177, 6030–6037.
116. LE Jeffery , F Burke , M Mura (2009) 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3) and IL-2 combine to inhibit T cell production of inflammatory cytokines and promote development of regulatory T cells expressing CTLA-4 and FoxP3. J Immunol 183, 5458–5467.
118. S Gregori , M Casorati , S Amuchastegui (2001) Regulatory T cells induced by 1α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 and mycophenolate mofetil treatment mediate transplantation tolerance. J Immunol 167, 1945–1953.
119. X Dong , LA Bachman , R Kumar (2003) Generation of antigen-specific, interleukin-10-producing T-cells using dendritic cell stimulation and steroid hormone conditioning. Transpl Immunol 11, 323–333.
121. M Willheim , R Thien , K Schrattbauer (1999) Regulatory effects of 1α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 on the cytokine production of human peripheral blood lymphocytes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84, 3739–3744.
122. CM Veldman , MT Cantorna & HF DeLuca (2000) Expression of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3) receptor in the immune system. Arch Biochem Biophys 374, 334–338.
123. S Iho , K Iwamoto , F Kura (1990) Mechanism in 1,25(OH)2D3-induced suppression of helper/suppressor function of CD4/CD8 cells to immunoglobulin production in B cells. Cell Immunol 127, 12–25.
124. MT Cantorna , CE Hayes & HF DeLuca (1996) 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 reversibly blocks the progression of relapsing encephalomyelitis, a model of multiple sclerosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93, 7861–7864.
125. TF Meehan & HF DeLuca (2002) CD8(+) T cells are not necessary for 1α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3) to suppress experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99, 5557–5560.
126. S Yu , D Bruce , M Froicu (2008) Failure of T cell homing, reduced CD4/CD8αα intraepithelial lymphocytes, and inflammation in the gut of vitamin D receptor KO mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105, 20834–20839.
127. H Sigmundsdottir , J Pan , GF Debes (2007) DCs metabolize sunlight-induced vitamin D3 to ‘program’ T cell attraction to the epidermal chemokine CCL27. Nat Immunol 8, 285–293.
128. I Topilski , L Flaishon , Y Naveh (2004) The anti-inflammatory effects of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 on Th2 cells in vivo are due in part to the control of integrin-mediated T lymphocyte homing. Eur J Immunol 34, 1068–1076.
131. S Chen , GP Sims , XX Chen (2007) Modulatory effects of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 on human B cell differentiation. J Immunol 179, 1634–1647.
133. L Adorini & G Penna (2008) Control of autoimmune diseases by the vitamin D endocrine system. Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol 4, 404–412.
134. C Mathieu , C Gysemans , A Giulietti (2005) Vitamin D and diabetes. Diabetologia 48, 1247–1257.
135. B Littorin , P Blom , A Scholin (2006) Lower levels of plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D among young adults at diagnosis of autoimmune type 1 diabetes compared with control subjects: Results from the nationwide Diabetes Incidence Study in Sweden (DISS). Diabetologia 49, 2847–2852.
137. A Giulietti , C Gysemans , K Stoffels (2004) Vitamin D deficiency in early life accelerates Type 1 diabetes in non-obese diabetic mice. Diabetologia 47, 451–462.
138. E Ramos-Lopez , T Jansen , V Ivaskevicius (2006) Protection from type 1 diabetes by vitamin D receptor haplotypes. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1079, 327–334.
139. R Bailey , JD Cooper , L Zeitels (2007) Association of the vitamin D metabolism gene CYP27B1 with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes 56, 2616–2621.
140. A Raghuwanshi , SS Joshi & S Christakos (2008) Vitamin D and multiple sclerosis. J Cell Biochem 105, 338–343.
141. KM Spach & CE Hayes (2005) Vitamin D3 confers protection from autoimmune encephalomyelitis only in female mice. J Immunol 175, 4119–4126.
142. KM Spach , LB Pedersen , FE Nashold (2004) Gene expression analysis suggests that 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 reverses experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by stimulating inflammatory cell apoptosis. Physiol Genomics 18, 141–151.
143. LB Pedersen , FE Nashold , KM Spach (2007) 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 reverses experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by inhibiting chemokine synthesis and monocyte trafficking. J Neurosci Res 85, 2480–2490.
144. K Vagianos , S Bector , J McConnell (2007) Nutrition assessment of patients with inflammatory bowel disease. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 31, 311–319.
145. HM Pappa , CM Gordon , TM Saslowsky (2006) Vitamin D status in children and young adults with inflammatory bowel disease. Pediatrics 118, 1950–1961.
146. HM Pappa , RJ Grand & CM Gordon (2006) Report on the vitamin D status of adult and pediatric patients with inflammatory bowel disease and its significance for bone health and disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis 12, 1162–1174.
147. J Kong , Z Zhang , MW Musch (2007) Novel role of the vitamin D receptor in maintaining the integrity of the intestinal mucosal barrier. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 294, 2396–2405.
148. M Froicu & MT Cantorna (2007) Vitamin D and the vitamin D receptor are critical for control of the innate immune response to colonic injury. BMC Immunol 8, 5.
149. M Froicu , V Weaver , TA Wynn (2003) A crucial role for the vitamin D receptor in experimental inflammatory bowel diseases. Mol Endocrinol 17, 2386–2392.
150. V Lagishetty , AV Misharin , NQ Liu (2010) Vitamin D deficiency in mice impairs colonic antibacterial activity and predisposes to colitis. Endocrinology 151, 2423–2432.
151. MR von Essen , M Kongsbak , P Schjerling (2010) Vitamin D controls T cell antigen receptor signaling and activation of human T cells. Nat Immunol 11, 344–349.
152. J Smolders , M Thewissen & J Damoiseaux (2011) Control of T cell activation by vitamin D. Nat Immunol 12, 3; author reply 3–4.