1. Kleinert, S & Horton, R (2015) Rethinking and reframing obesity. Lancet 385, 2326–2328.
3. NCD Risk Factor Collaboration (2016) Trends in adult body-mass index in 200 countries from 1975 to 2014: a pooled analysis of 1698 population-based measurement studies with 19·2 million participants. Lancet 387, 1377–1396.
4. Wong, RJ, Chou, C & Ahmed, A (2014) Long term trends and racial/ethnic disparities in the prevalence of obesity. J Community Health 39, 1150–1160.
5. Drewnowski, A & Specter, SE (2004) Poverty and obesity: the role of energy density and energy costs. Am J Clin Nutr 79, 6–16.
6. Wang, Y, Monteiro, C & Popkin, BM (2002) Trends of obesity and underweight in older children and adolescents in the United States, Brazil, China, and Russia. Am J Clin Nutr 75, 971–977.
7. Conde, WL & Monteiro, CA (2014) Nutrition transition and double burden of undernutrition and excess of weight in Brazil. Am J Clin Nutr 100, issue 6, 1617S–1622S.
8. Monteiro, CA, Moura, EC, Conde, WL et al. (2004) Socioeconomic status and obesity in adult populations of developing countries: a review. Bull World Health Organ 82, 940–946.
9. May, AL, Freedman, D, Sherry, B et al. (2013) Obesity – United States, 1999–2010. MMWR Suppl 62, 120–128.
10. Jackson, CL, Szklo, M, Yeh, HC et al. (2013) Black–white disparities in overweight and obesity trends by educational attainment in the United States, 1997–2008. J Obes 2013, 140743.
11. Grabner, M (2012) BMI trends, socioeconomic status, and the choice of dataset. Obes Facts 5, 112–126.
12. Chor, D, Faerstein, E, Kaplan, GA et al. (2004) Association of weight change with ethnicity and life course socioeconomic position among Brazilian civil servants. Int J Epidemiol 33, 100–106.
13. Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (2010)
Pesquisa de Orçamentos Familiares 2008–2009 – Despesas, Rendimentos e Condições de Vida
. Rio de Janeiro: IBGE.
15. Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (2010) Pesquisa de Orcamentos Familiares 2008–2009: Antropometria e Estado Nutricional de Crianças, Adolescentes e Adultos no Brasil. Rio de Janeiro: IBGE.
16. Gigante, DP, Minten, GC, Horta, BL et al. (2008) Nutritional evaluation follow-up of the 1982 birth cohort, Pelotas, Southern Brazil. Rev Saude Publica 42, 60–69.
17. Sobal, J & Stunkard, AJ (1989) Socioeconomic status and obesity: a review of the literature. Psychol Bull 105, 260–275.
18. Dinsa, GD, Goryakin, Y, Fumagalli, E et al. (2012) Obesity and socioeconomic status in developing countries: a systematic review. Obes Rev 13, 1067–1079.
19. Schmidt, MI, Duncan, BB, Silva, GA et al. (2011) Chronic non-communicable diseases in Brazil: burden and current challenges. Lancet 377, 1949–1961.
20. Paradies, Y (2006) A systematic review of empirical research on self-reported racism and health. Int J Epidemiol 35, 888–901.
21. Williams, DR, Neighbors, HW & Jackson, JS (2003) Racial/ethnic discrimination and health: findings from community studies. Am J Public Health 93, 200–208.
22. Gee, GC, Ro, A, Gavin, A et al. (2008) Disentangling the effects of racial and weight discrimination on body mass index and obesity among Asian Americans. Am J Public Health 98, 493–500.
23. Rosmond, R (2005) Role of stress in the pathogenesis of the metabolic syndrome. Psychoneuroendocrinology 30, 1–10.
24. Dallman, MF, la Fleur, SE, Pecoraro, NC et al. (2004) Minireview: glucocorticoids – food intake, abdominal obesity, and wealthy nations in 2004. Endocrinology 145, 2633–2638.
25. Björntorp, P (2001) Do stress reactions cause abdominal obesity and comorbidities? Obes Rev 2, 73–86.
26. Rosmond, R, Dallman, M & Björntorp, P (1998) Stress-related cortisol secretion in men: relationships with abdominal obesity and endocrine, metabolic and hemodynamic abnormalities. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83, 1853–1859.
27. Womble, LG, Williamson, DA, Martin, NL et al. (2001) Psychosocial variables associated with binge eating in obese males and females. Int J Eat Disord 30, 217–221.
28. Yanovski, S (1993) Binge eating disorder: current knowledge and future directions. Obes Res 4, 306–324.
29. Chambers, EC, Tull, ES, Fraser, HS et al. (2004) The relationship of internalized racism to body fat distribution and insulin resistance among African adolescent youth. J Natl Med Assoc 96, 1594–1598.
30. Tull, E, Wickramasuriya, T, Taylor, J et al. (1999) Relationship of internalized racism to abdominal obesity and blood pressure in Afro-Caribbean women. J Natl Med Assoc 9, 447–452.
31. Butler, C, Tull, ES, Chambers, EC et al. (2002) Internalized racism, body fat distribution and abnormal fasting glucose among African-Caribbean women in Dominica, West Indies. J Natl Med Assoc 94, 143–148.
32. Millstein, RA, Carlson, SA, Fulton, JE et al. (2008) Relationships between body size satisfaction and weight control practices among US adults. Medscape J Med 10, 119.
33. Kumanyika, SK (2008) Environmental influences on childhood obesity: ethnic and cultural influences in context. Physiol Behav 94, 61–70.
34. Powell, AD & Kahn, AS (1995) Racial differences in women’s desires to be thin. Int J Eat Disord 17, 191–195.
35. Kwate, NO, Yau, CY, Loh, JM et al. (2009) Inequality in obesigenic environments: fast food density in New York City. Health Place 15, 364–373.
36. Lim, S & Harris, TG (2015) Neighborhood contributions to racial and ethnic disparities in obesity among New York City adults. Am J Public Health 105, 159–165.
37. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2010) Racial and ethnic differences in breastfeeding initiation and duration, by state – National Immunization Survey, United States, 2004–2008. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 59, 27–34.
38. Robert, SA & Reither, EN (2004) A multilevel analysis of race, community disadvantage, and body mass index among adults in the US. Soc Sci Med 59, 2421–2434.
39. Baltrus, PT, Lynch, JW, Everson-Rose, S et al. (2005) Race/ethnicity, life-course socioeconomic position, and body weight trajectories over 34 years: the Alameda county study. Am J Public Health 95, 1595–1601.
40. Kenney, MK, Wang, J & Iannotti, R (2014) Residency and racial/ethnic differences in weight status and lifestyle behaviors among US youth. J Rural Health 30, 89–100.
41. Weden, MM, Brownell, P & Rendall, MS (2012) Prenatal, perinatal, early life, and sociodemographic factors underlying racial differences in the likelihood of high body mass index in early childhood. Am J Public Health 102, 2057–2067.
42. Karlsen, S, Morris, S, Kinra, S et al. (2014) Ethnic variations in overweight and obesity among children over time: findings from analyses of the Health Surveys for England 1998–2009. Pediatr Obes 9, 186–196.
43. Zhang, H & Rodriguez-Monguio, R (2012) Racial disparities in the risk of developing obesity-related diseases: a cross-sectional study. Ethn Dis 22, 308–316.