This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. LG Goh , SS Dhaliwal , TA Welborn et al. (2014) Anthropometric measurements of general and central obesity and the prediction of cardiovascular disease risk in women: a cross-sectional study. BMJ Open 4, e004138.
3. SA Bingham , RN Luben , AA Welch et al. (2007) Epidemiologic assessment of sugars consumption using biomarkers: comparisons of obese and nonobese individuals in the European prospective investigation of cancer Norfolk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16, 1651–1654.
4. VS Malik , A Pan , WC Willett et al. (2013) Sugar-sweetened beverages and weight gain in children and adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr 98, 1084–1102.
5. L Te Morenga , S Mallard , J Mann (2013) Dietary sugars and body weight: systematic review and meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials and cohort studies. BMJ 346, e7492.
7.European Food Safety Authority, Panel on Dietetic Products, Nutrition, and Allergies (2010) Scientific opinion on dietary reference values for carbohydrates and dietary fibre. EFSA J 8, 1462–1539.
9. JA Pryer , M Vrijheid , R Nichols et al. (1997) Who are the ‘low energy reporters’ in the dietary and nutritional survey of British adults? Int J Epidemiol 26, 146–154.
11. SD Poppitt , D Swann , AE Black et al. (1998) Assessment of selective under-reporting of food intake by both obese and non-obese women in a metabolic facility. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 22, 303–311.
12. H Nakamura & Z Tamura (1972) Gas chromatographic analysis of mono- and disaccharides in human blood and urine after oral administration of disaccharides. Clin Chim Acta 39, 367–381.
14. N Tasevska , SA Runswick , A McTaggart et al. (2005) Urinary sucrose and fructose as biomarkers for sugar consumption. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14, 1287–1294.
15. Kuhnle GGC Joosen AMCP , SA Runswick et al. (2008) Urinary sucrose and fructose as biomarkers of sugar consumption: comparison of normal weight and obese volunteers. Int J Obes (Lond) 32, 1736–1740.
16. N Tasevska , D Midthune , N Potischman et al. (2011) Use of the predictive sugars biomarker to evaluate self-reported total sugars intake in the Observing Protein and Energy Nutrition (OPEN) study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 20, 490–500.
18. SA Hayat , R Luben , VL Keevil et al. (2013) Cohort profile: a prospective cohort study of objective physical and cognitive capability and visual health in an ageing population of men and women in Norfolk (EPIC-Norfolk 3). Int J Epidemiol 43, 1063–1072.
19. AA Welch , A McTaggart , AA Mulligan et al. (2001) DINER (Data Into Nutrients for Epidemiological Research) – a new data-entry program for nutritional analysis in the EPIC-Norfolk cohort and the 7-day diary method. Public Health Nutr 4, 1253–1265.
21. AA Mulligan , RN Luben , A Bhaniani et al. (2014) A new tool for converting food frequency questionnaire data into nutrient and food group values: FETA research methods and availability. BMJ Open 4, e004503.
22. NJ Wareham , R Jakes , K Rennie et al. (2002) Validity and repeatability of the EPIC-Norfolk physical activity questionnaire. Int J Epidemiol 31, 168–174.
23. JY Park , PN Mitrou , RH Keogh et al. (2012) Self-reported and measured anthropometric data and risk of colorectal cancer in the EPIC-Norfolk study. Int J Obes (Lond) 36, 107–118.
24. GG Kuhnle , AM Joosen , TR Wood et al. (2008) Detection and quantification of sucrose as dietary biomarker using gas chromatography and liquid chromatography with mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 22, 279–282.
25. H Atherton , N Bailey , W Zhang et al. (2006) A combined 1H-NMR spectroscopy- and mass spectrometry-based metabolomic study of the PPAR-α null mutant mouse defines profound systemic changes in metabolism linked to the metabolic syndrome. Physiol Genomics 27, 178–186.
26. E von Elm , DG Altman , M Egger et al. (2007) The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies. Lancet 370, 1453–1457.
29. M Jenab , N Slimani , M Bictash et al. (2009) Biomarkers in nutritional epidemiology: applications, needs and new horizons. Hum Genet 125, 507–525.
30. LR Sutherland , M Verhoef , JL Wallace et al. (1994) A simple, non-invasive marker of gastric damage: sucrose permeability. Lancet 343, 998–1000.
31. JA Emond , RE Patterson , PM Jardack et al. (2014) Using doubly labeled water to validate associations between sugar-sweetened beverage intake and body mass among White and African-American adults. Int J Obes (Lond) 38, 603–609.