This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
4. T Rissanen , S Voutilainen , K Nyyssonen , R Salonen & JT Salonen (2000) Low plasma lycopene concentration is associated with increased intima-media thickness of the carotid artery wall. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 20, 2677–2681.
5. AE Hak , J Ma , CB Powell , H Campos , JM Gaziano , WC Willett & MJ Stampfer (2004) Prospective study of plasma carotenoids and tocopherols in relation to risk of ischemic stroke. Stroke 35, 1584–1588.
6. JM Gaziano , JE Manson , LG Branch , GA Colditz , WC Willett & JE Buring (1995) A prospective study of consumption of carotenoids in fruits and vegetables and decreased cardiovascular mortality in the elderly. Ann Epidemiol 5, 255–260.
10. P Rinaldi , MC Polidori , A Metastasio , E Mariani , P Mattioli , A Cherubini , M Catani , R Cecchetti , U Senin & P Mecocci (2003) Plasma antioxidants are similarly depleted in mild cognitive impairment and in Alzheimer’s disease. Neurobiol Aging 24, 915–919.
11. JM Seddon , UA Ajani , RD Sperduto (1994) Dietary carotenoids, vitamins A, C, and E, and advanced age-related macular degeneration. Eye Disease Case–Control Study Group. JAMA 272, 1413–1420.
13. JA Mares-Perlman , AI Fisher , R Klein , M Palta , G Block , AE Millen & JD Wright (2001) Lutein and zeaxanthin in the diet and serum and their relation to age-related maculopathy in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Am J Epidemiol 153, 424–432.
14. GA Mensah , AH Mokdad , ES Ford , KJ Greenlund & JB Croft (2005) State of disparities in cardiovascular health in the United States. Circulation 111, 1233–1241.
15. CT Sempos , DE Bild & TA Manolio (1999) Overview of the Jackson Heart Study: a study of cardiovascular diseases in African American men and women. Am J Med Sci 317, 142–146.
20. KL Tucker , J Maras , C Champagne , C Connell , S Goolsby , J Weber , S Zaghloul , T Carithers & ML Bogle (2005) A regional food-frequency questionnaire for the US Mississippi Delta. Public Health Nutr 8, 87–96.
23. MA Carpenter , R Crow , M Steffes , W Rock , J Heilbraun , G Evans , T Skelton , R Jensen & D Sarpong (2004) Laboratory, reading center, and coordinating center data management methods in the Jackson Heart Study. Am J Med Sci 328, 131–144.
24. CM Champagne , ML Bogle , BB McGee , K Yadrick , HR Allen , TR Kramer , P Simpson , J Gossett & J Weber (2004) Dietary intake in the lower Mississippi delta region: results from the Foods of our Delta Study. J Am Diet Assoc 104, 199–207.
29. SL Connor , LS Ojeda , G Sexton , G Weidner & WE Connor (2004) Diets lower in folic acid and carotenoids are associated with the coronary disease epidemic in Central and Eastern Europe. J Am Diet Assoc 104, 1793–1799.
32. TM Vogt , ST Mayne , BI Graubard (2002) Serum lycopene, other serum carotenoids, and risk of prostate cancer in US Blacks and Whites. Am J Epidemiol 155, 1023–1032.
37. EK Kabagambe , A Baylin , DA Allan , X Siles , D Spiegelman & H Campos (2001) Application of the method of triads to evaluate the performance of food frequency questionnaires and biomarkers as indicators of long-term dietary intake. Am J Epidemiol 154, 1126–1135.
39. GM VandenLangenberg , WE Brady , LC Nebeling , G Block , M Forman , PE Bowen , M Stacewicz-Sapuntzakis & JA Mares-Perlman (1996) Influence of using different sources of carotenoid data in epidemiologic studies. J Am Diet Assoc 96, 1271–1275.
43. LC Nebeling , MR Forman , BI Graubard & RA Snyder (1997) Changes in carotenoid intake in the United States: the 1987 and 1992 National Health Interview Surveys. J Am Diet Assoc 97, 991–996.
44. SK Clinton (1998) Lycopene: chemistry, biology, and implications for human health and disease. Nutr Rev 56, 35–51.