1. Victora, CG, Bahl, R, Barros, AD et al. (2016) Breastfeeding in the 21st century: epidemiology, mechanisms, and lifelong effect. Lancet 387, 475–490.
2. Rollins, NC, Bhandari, N, Hajeebhoy, N et al. (2016) Why invest, and what it will take to improve breastfeeding practices? Lancet 387, 491–504.
4. Dieterich, CM, Felice, JP, O’Sullivan, E et al. (2013) Breastfeeding and health outcomes for the mother–infant dyad. Pediatr Clin North Am 60, 31–48.
5. American Academy of Pediatrics (2012) Breastfeeding and the use of human milk. Pediatrics 129, e827–e841.
9. Boyer, K (2011) ‘The way to break the taboo is to do the taboo thing’, breastfeeding in public and citizen-activism in the UK. Health Place 17, 430–437.
10. Smyth, L (2008) Gendered spaces and intimate citizenship, the case of breastfeeding. Eur J Women Stud 15, 83–99.
11. Shortt, E, McGorrian, C & Kelleher, C (2013) A qualitative study of infant feeding decisions among low-income women in the Republic of Ireland. Midwifery 29, 453–460.
12. Boyer, K (2012) Affect, corporeality and the limits of belonging: breastfeeding in public in the contemporary UK. Health Place 18, 552–560.
13. Forster, DA & McLachlan, HL (2010) Women’s views and experiences of breast feeding: positive, negative or just good for the baby? Midwifery 26, 116–125.
17. Meng, X, Daly, A, Pollard, CM et al. (2013) Community attitudes toward breastfeeding in public places among Western Australia adults, 1995–2009. J Hum Lact 29, 183–189.
18. Mulready-Ward, C & Hackett, M (2014) Perception and attitudes: breastfeeding in public in New York City. J Hum Lact 30, 195–200.
19. Spurles, PK & Babineau, J (2011) A qualitative study of attitudes toward public breastfeeding among young Canadian men and women. J Hum Lact 27, 131–137.
20. Ouyang, YQ, Su, M & Redding, SR (2016) A survey on difficulties and desires of breastfeeding women in Wuhan, China. Midwifery 32, 19–24.
21. Su, M & Ouyang, YQ (2016) Father’s role in breastfeeding promotion: lessons from a quasi-experimental trial in China. Breastfeed Med 11, 144–149.
22. Gu, Y, Zhu, Y, Zhang, Z et al. (2016) Effectiveness of a theory-based breastfeeding promotion intervention on exclusive breastfeeding in China: a randomised controlled trial. Midwifery 42, 93–99.
23. Elo, S & Kyngas, H (2008) The qualitative content analysis process. J Adv Nurs 62, 107–115.
24. Thomson, G, Ebisch-Burton, K & Flacking, R (2015) Shame if you do – shame if you don’t: women’s experiences of infant feeding. Matern Child Nutr 11, 33–46.
25. Ajzen, I & Fishbein, M (1980) Understanding Attitudes and Predicting Social Behavior. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
26. Brown, A, Raynor, P & Lee, M (2011) Young mothers who choose to breastfeed: the importance of being part of a supportive breast-feeding community. Midwifery 27, 53–59.
27. Chang, SM, Rowe, J & Goopy, S (2014) Non-family support for breastfeeding maintenance among career women in Taiwan: a qualitative study. Int J Nurs Pract 20, 293–301.
28. Zhao, Y, Ouyang, YQ & Redding, SR (2017) Attitudes of Chinese adults to breastfeeding in public: a web-based survey. Breastfeed Med 12, 316–321.
29. Li, R, Hsia, J, Fridinger, F et al. (2004) Public beliefs about breastfeeding policies in various settings. J Am Diet Assoc 104, 1162–1168.
30. Purdy, IB, Singh, N, Le, C et al. (2012) Biophysiologic and social stress relationships with breast milk feeding pre- and post-discharge from the neonatal intensive care unit. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 41, 347–357.
31. Qi, Y & Chi, R (2013) The study of Chinese traditional costume under the influence of the Confucian ethical code culture.
J Jinan Univ (Soci Sci Ed)
32. Bailey, C, Pain, RH & Aarvold, JE (2004) A ‘give it a go’ breast-feeding culture and early cessation among low-income mothers. Midwifery 20, 240–250.
33. Walburg, V, Goehlich, M, Conquet, M et al. (2010) Breast feeding initiation and duration: comparison of French and German mothers. Midwifery 26, 109–115.
34. Morris, C, Zaraté de la Fuente, GA, Williams, CE et al. (2016) UK views toward breastfeeding in public: an analysis of the public’s response to the Claridge’s incident. J Hum Lact 32, 472–480.
35. UNICEF & Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Maternal and Child Health Care Center (2013) 10 Square Meters of Love. http://www.10m2.unicef.cn/ (accessed May 2016).
37. Nnebe-Agumadu, UH, Racine, EF, Laditka, SB et al. (2016) Associations between perceived value of exclusive breastfeeding among pregnant women in the United States and exclusive breastfeeding to three and six months postpartum: a prospective study. Int Breastfeed J 11, 8.