This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
4. FF Samaha , N Iqbal , P Seshadri , KL Chicano , DA Daily , J McGrory , T Williams , M Williams , EJ Gracely & L Stern (2003) A low-carbohydrate diet as compared with a low-fat diet in severe obesity. N Engl J Med 348, 2074–2081.
5. GD Foster , HR Wyatt , JO Hill , BG McGuckin , C Brill , BS Mohammed , PO Szapary , DJ Rader , JS Edman & S Klein (2003) A randomised trial of a low-carbohydrate diet for obesity. N Engl J Med 348, 2082–2090.
7. BJ Brehm , RJ Seeley , SR Daniels & DA D’Alessio (2003) A randomized trial comparing a very low carbohydrate diet and a calorie-restricted low fat diet on body weight and cardiovascular disease risk factors in healthy women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88, 1617–1623.
8. EC Westman , WS Yancy , JS Edman , KF Tomlin & CE Perkins (2002) Effect of 6-month adherence to a very low carbohydrate diet programme. Am J Med 113, 30–36.
9. MA Austin , MC King , KM Vranizan & RM Krauss (1990) Atherogenic lipoprotein phenotype. A proposed genetic marker for coronary heart disease risk. Circulation 82, 495–506.
10. BA Griffin , DJ Freeman , GW Tait , J Thomson , MJ Caslake , CJ Packhard & J Shepherd (1994) Role of plasma triglyceride in the regulation of plasma low density lipoprotein (LDL) subfractions. Relative contribution of small, dense LDL subfractions to coronary heart disease risk. Atherosclerosis 106, 241–253.
12. DM Dreon , HA Fernstrom , B Miller & RM Krauss (1995) Apolipoprotein E isoform phenotype and LDL subclass response to a reduced-fat diet. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 15, 105–111.
14. JS Volek , MJ Sharman , AL Gomez , C DiPasquale , M Roti , A Pumerantz & WJ Kraemer (2004) Comparison of very low-carbohydrate and low-fat diets on fasting lipids, LDL subclasses, insulin resistance, and postprandial lipemic responses in young women. J Am Coll Nutr 23, 177–184.
15. ML Dansinger , JA Gleason , JL Griffith , HP Selker & EJ Schaefer (2005) Comparison of the Atkins, Ornish, Weight Watchers, and Zone diets for weight loss and heart disease reduction: a randomized trial. JAMA 293, 43–53.
19. DR Matthews , JP Hosker , AS Rudenski , BA Naylor , DF Treacher & RC Turner (1985) Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and β-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man. Diabetologia 28, 412–419.
20. IG Davies , JM Graham & BA Griffin (2003) Rapid separation of LDL subclasses by iodixanol gradient ultracentrifugation. Clin Chem 49, 1865–1872.
21. BA Griffin , MJ Caslake , B Yip , GW Tait , CJ Packard & J Shepherd (1990) Rapid isolation of low density lipoprotein (LDL) subfractions from plasma by density gradient ultracentrifugation. Atherosclerosis 83, 59–67.
22. DJ Newman , H Thakkar , RG Edwards , M Wilkie , T White , AO Grubb & CP Price (1995) Serum cystatin C measured by automated immunoassay: a more sensitive marker of changes in GFR than serum creatinine. Kidney Int 47, 312–318.
23. A Poobalan , L Aucott , WCS Smith , A Avenell , R Jung , J Broom & AM Grant (2004) Effects of weight loss in overweight/obese individuals and long-term lipid outcomes – a systematic review. Obes Rev 5, 43–50.
25. KJ Acheson (2004) Carbohydrate and weight control: where do we stand? Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 7, 485–492.
30. MA Zulet , ME Berkenpas & JA Martinez (2005) Comparison of dietary approaches to treat obesity based on different carbohydrate/fat content: impact on weight loss and lipid profile. Curr Nutr Food Sci 1, 13–21.
32. DM Dreon , HA Fernstrom , PT Williams & RM Krauss (1997) LDL subclass patterns and lipoprotein response to a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet in women. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 17, 707–714.