Sofi, F, Abbate, R, Gensini, GF et al. (2010) Accruing evidence on benefits of adherence to the Mediterranean diet on health: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr 92, 1189–1196.
Shivappa, N, Steck, SE, Hurley, TG et al. (2014) Designing and developing a literature-derived, population-based dietary inflammatory index. Public Health Nutr 17, 1689–1696.
Shivappa, N, Blair, CK, Prizment, AE et al. (2016) Association between inflammatory potential of diet and mortality in the Iowa Women’s Health study. Eur J Nutr 55, 1491–1502.
Ruiz-Canela, M, Zazpe, I, Shivappa, N et al. (2015) Dietary inflammatory index and anthropometric measures of obesity in a population sample at high cardiovascular risk from the PREDIMED (PREvencion con DIeta MEDiterranea) trial. Br J Nutr 113, 984–995.
5. Garcia-Arellano, A, Ramallal, R, Ruiz-Canela, M et al. (2015) Dietary inflammatory index and incidence of cardiovascular disease in the PREDIMED study. Nutrients 7, 4124–4138.
Wirth, MD, Shivappa, N, Steck, SE et al. (2015) The dietary inflammatory index is associated with colorectal cancer in the National Institutes of Health–American Association of Retired Persons Diet and Health Study. Br J Nutr 113, 1819–1827.
7. Wirth, MD, Burch, J, Shivappa, N et al. (2014) Association of a dietary inflammatory index with inflammatory indices and metabolic syndrome among police officers. J Occup Environ Med 56, 986–989.
8. Kesse-Guyot, E, Assmann, KE, Andreeva, VA et al. (2017) Long-term association between the dietary inflammatory index and cognitive functioning: findings from the SU.VI.MAX study. Eur J Nutr 56, 1647–1655.
Hayden, KM, Beavers, DP, Steck, SE et al. (2017) The association between an inflammatory diet and global cognitive function and incident dementia in older women: the Women’s Health Initiative Memory Study. Alzheimers Dement 13, 1187–1196.
Frith, E, Shivappa, N, Mann, JR et al. (2018) Dietary inflammatory index and memory function: population-based national sample of elderly Americans. Br J Nutr 119, 552–558.
Almeida-de-Souza, J, Santos, R, Barros, R et al. (2018) Dietary inflammatory index and inflammatory biomarkers in adolescents from LabMed physical activity study. Eur J Clin Nutr 72, 710–719.
12. Shivappa, N, Hebert, JR & Rashidkhani, B (2017) Association between inflammatory potential of diet and stress levels in adolescent women in Iran. Arch Iran Med 20, 108–112.
Shivappa, N, Hebert, JR, Marcos, A et al. (2017) Association between dietary inflammatory index and inflammatory markers in the HELENA study. Mol Nutr Food Res 61, 1600707.
Sen, S, Rifas-Shiman, SL, Shivappa, N et al. (2018) Associations of prenatal and early life dietary inflammatory potential with childhood adiposity and cardiometabolic risk in Project Viva. Pediatr Obes 13, 292–300.
Feinstein, L, Sabates, R, Sorhaindo, A et al. (2008) Dietary patterns related to attainment in school: the importance of early eating patterns. J Epidemiol Community Health 62, 734–739.
16. Esteban-Cornejo, I, Izquierdo-Gomez, R, Gómez-Martínez, S et al. (2016) Adherence to the Mediterranean diet and academic performance in youth: the UP&DOWN study. Eur J Nutr 55, 1133–1140.
Vassiloudis, I, Yiannakouris, N, Panagiotakos, DB et al. (2014) Academic performance in relation to adherence to the Mediterranean diet and energy balance behaviors in Greek primary schoolchildren. J Nutr Educ Behav 46, 164–170.
Miller, AL, Lee, HJ & Lumeng, JC (2015) Obesity-associated biomarkers and executive function in children. Pediatr Res 77, 143–147.
Pizarro, AN, Ribeiro, JC, Marques, EA et al. (2013) Is walking to school associated with improved metabolic health? Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 10, 12.
20. Salvador Castell, G, Serra-Majem, L & Ribas-Barba, L (2015) What and how much do we eat? 24-hour dietary recall method. Nutr Hosp 31, Suppl. 3, 46–48.
Esmaillzadeh, A, Kimiagar, M, Mehrabi, Y et al. (2007) Dietary patterns and markers of systemic inflammation among Iranian women. J Nutr 137, 992–998.
Calder, PC, Ahluwalia, N, Brouns, F et al. (2011) Dietary factors and low-grade inflammation in relation to overweight and obesity. Br J Nutr 106, Suppl. 3, S5–S78.
23. Banks, WA (2005) Blood–brain barrier transport of cytokines: a mechanism for neuropathology. Curr Pharm Des 11, 973–984.
Wärnberg, J, Gomez-Martinez, S, Romeo, J et al. (2009) Nutrition, inflammation, and cognitive function. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1153, 164–175.
Tabung, FK, Steck, SE, Zhang, J et al. (2016) Longitudinal changes in the dietary inflammatory index: an assessment of the inflammatory potential of diet over time in postmenopausal women. Eur J Clin Nutr 70, 1374–1380.