This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. R Cañete , M Gil-Campos , C Aguilera & A Gil (2007) Development of insulin resistance and its relation to diet in the obese child. Eur J Nutr 46, 181–187.
3. FB Hu (2002) Dietary pattern analysis: a new direction in nutritional epidemiology. Curr Opin Lipidol 13, 3–9.
4. J Aranceta , C Perez-Rodrigo , L Ribas & LI Serra-Majem (2003) Sociodemographic and lifestyle determinants of food patterns in Spanish children and adolescents: the enKid study. Eur J Clin Nutr 57, Suppl., S40–S44.
5. D Neumark-Sztainer , M Story , E Toporoff , JH Himes , MD Resnick & RW Blum (1997) Covariations of eating behaviors with other health-related behaviors among adolescents. J Adolesc Health 20, 450–458.
7. H Patrick & TA Nicklas (2005) A review of family and social determinants of children’s eating patterns and diet quality. J Am Coll Nutr 24, 83–92.
8. EM Taveras , CS Berkey , SL Rifas-Shiman , DS Ludwig , HRH Rockett , AE Field , GA Colditz & MW Gillman (2005) Association of consumption of fried food away from home with body mass index and diet quality in older children and adolescents. Pediatrics 116, e518–e524.
9. J Utter , D Neumark-Sztainer , R Jeffery & M Story (2003) Couch potatoes or French fries: are sedentary behaviors associated with body mass index, physical activity, and dietary behaviors among adolescents? J Am Diet Assoc 103, 1298–1305.
10. A Sanchez , GJ Norman , JF Sallis , KJ Calfas , J Cella & K Patrick (2007) Patterns and correlates of physical activity and nutrition behaviors in adolescents. Am J Prev Med 32, 124–130.
11. JP Newnham , SF Evans , CA Michael , JF Stanley & LI Landau (1993) Effects of frequent ultrasound during pregnancy – a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 342, 887–891.
12. KI Baghurst & SJ Record (1984) A computerised dietary analysis system for use with diaries or food frequency questionnaires. Community Health Stud 8, 11–18.
13. TE Rohan & JD Potter (1984) Retrospective assessment of dietary intake. Am J Epidemiol 120, 876–887.
15. M Nelson & SA Bingham (1997) Assessment of food consumption and nutrient intake. In Design Concepts in Nutritional Epidemiology, 2nd ed., pp. 123–169 [BM Margetts and M Nelson, editors]. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
19. NB Epstein , LM Baldwin & DS Bishop (1983) The McMaster Family Assessment Device. J Marital Fam Ther 9, 171–180.
20. GA Aarrons , EJ McDonald , CD Connelly & RR Newton (2007) Assessment of family functioning in Caucasian and Hispanic Americans: reliability, validity, and factor structure of the Family Assessment Device. Fam Process 46, 557–569.
21. J Byles , C Byrne , MH Boyle & DR Offord (1988) Ontario Child Health Study: reliability and validity of the General Functioning subscale of the McMaster Family Assessment Device. Fam Process 27, 97–104.
22. HRH Rockett , M Breitenbach , AL Frazier , J Witschi , AM Wolf , AE Field & GA Colditz (1997) Validation of a youth/adolescent food frequency questionnaire. Prev Med 26, 808–816.
23. J Kim & DW Meuller (1978) Factor Analysis: Statistical Methods and Practical Issues in Quantitative Applications in the Social Sciences. Sage University Paper Series no. 07-014. London: Sage Publications.
25. M Tseng , RA Breslow , RF De Vellis & RG Ziegler (2004) Dietary patterns and prostate cancer risk in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Epidemiological Follow Up Study Cohort. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 13, 71–77.
26. M Walker , KJ Aronson , W King , JWL Wilson , W Fan , JPW Heaton , A MacNeily , JC Nickel & A Morales (2005) Dietary patterns and risk of prostate cancer in Ontario, Canada. Int J Cancer 116, 592–598.
27. TT Fung , WC Willett , MJ Stampfer , JE Manson & FB Hu (2001) Dietary patterns and the risk of coronary heart disease in women. Arch Intern Med 161, 1857–1862.
28. TJ Cole , MC Bellizzi , KM Flegal & WH Dietz (2000) Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ 320, 1240–1243.
29. ML Slattery , KM Boucher , BJ Caan , JD Potter & KN Ma (1998) Eating patterns and risk of colon cancer. Am J Epidemiol 148, 4–16.
31. M van Kooten , D de Ridder , W Vollebergh & S van Dorsselaer (2007) What’s so special about eating? Examining unhealthy diet of adolescents in the context of other health-related behaviours and emotional distress. Appetite 48, 325–332.
32. MH Zeller , J Reiter-Purtill , AC Modi , J Gutzwiller , K Vannatta & WH Davies (2007) Controlled study of critical parent and family factors in the obesigenic environment. Obesity 15, 126–136.
33. HM Turner , KS Rose & MJ Cooper (2005) Schema and parental bonding in overweight and nonoverweight female adolescents. Int J Obes (Lond) 29, 381–387.
34. J Bosch , M Stradmeijer & J Seidell (2004) Psychosocial characteristics of obese children/youngsters and their families: implications for preventive and curative interventions. Patient Educ Couns 55, 353–362.
35. KH Hart , A Herriot , JA Bishop & H Truby (2003) Promoting healthy diet and exercise patterns amongst primary school children: a qualitative investigation of parental perspectives. J Hum Nutr Diet 16, 89–96.
36. A Chiolero , V Wietlisbach , C Ruffieux , F Paccaud & J Cornuz (2006) Clustering of risk behaviours with cigarette consumption: a population-based survey. Prev Med 42, 348–353.
37. ML Booth , T Dobbins , AD Okely , E Denney-Wilson & LL Hardy (2007) Trends in the prevalence of overweight and obesity among young Australians, 1985, 1997, and 2004. Obesity 15, 1089–1095.