This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
4. MS Westerterp-Plantenga , MP Lejeune , I Nijs , M van Ooijen & EM Kovacs (2004) High protein intake sustains weight maintenance after body weight loss in humans. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28, 57–64.
8. H Attallah , AL Friedlander & AR Hoffman (2006) Visceral obesity, impaired glucose tolerance, metabolic syndrome, and growth hormone therapy. Growth Horm IGF Res 16, Suppl. A, S62–S67.
9. MM Buijs , J Burggraaf , JG Langendonk (2002) Hyposomatotropism blunts lipolysis in abdominally obese women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87, 3851–3858.
10. M Pasarica , JJ Zachwieja , L Dejonge , S Redman & SR Smith (2007) Effect of growth hormone on body composition and visceral adiposity in middle aged men with visceral obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92, 4265–4270.
12. WJ Smith , LE Underwood & DR Clemmons (1995) Effects of caloric or protein restriction on insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) and IGF-binding proteins in children and adults. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 80, 443–449.
13. C Hoppe , C Molgaard , A Juul & KF Michaelsen (2004) High intakes of skimmed milk, but not meat, increase serum IGF-I and IGFBP-3 in eight-year-old boys. Eur J Clin Nutr 58, 1211–1216.
15. JA Chromiak & J Antonio (2002) Use of amino acids as growth hormone-releasing agents by athletes. Nutrition 18, 657–661.
16. SR Collier , DP Casey & JA Kanaley (2005) Growth hormone responses to varying doses of oral arginine. Growth Horm IGF Res 15, 136–139.
17. A Isidori , A Lo Monaco & M Cappa (1981) A study of growth hormone release in man after oral administration of amino acids. Curr Med Res Opin 7, 475–481.
18. RF Knopf , JW Conn , SS Fajans , JC Floyd , EM Guntsche & JA Rull (1965) Plasma growth hormone response to intravenous administration of amino acids. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 25, 1140–1144.
19. RR Suminski , RJ Robertson , FL Goss , S Arslanian , J Kang , S DaSilva , AC Utter & KF Metz (1997) Acute effect of amino acid ingestion and resistance exercise on plasma growth hormone concentration in young men. Int J Sport Nutr 7, 48–60.
21. AJ van Vught , AG Nieuwenhuizen , RJ Brummer & MS Westerterp-Plantenga (2008) Effects of oral ingestion of amino acids and proteins on the somatotropic axis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93, 584–590.
23. H Hasselstrom , KM Karlsson , SE Hansen , V Gronfeldt , K Froberg & LB Andersen (2006) Sex differences in bone size and bone mineral density exist before puberty. The Copenhagen School Child Intervention Study (CoSCIS). Calcif Tissue Int 79, 7–14.
24. H Hasselstrom , KM Karlsson , SE Hansen , V Gronfeldt , K Froberg & LB Andersen (2007) Peripheral bone mineral density and different intensities of physical activity in children 6–8 years old: the Copenhagen School Child Intervention Study. Calcif Tissue Int 80, 31–38.
27. MB Hoos , H Kuipers , WJ Gerver & KR Westerterp (2004) Physical activity pattern of children assessed by triaxial accelerometry. Eur J Clin Nutr 58, 1425–1428.
28. TJ Cole , MC Bellizzi , KM Flegal & WH Dietz (2000) Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ 320, 1240–1243.
29. R Gnavi , TD Spagnoli , C Galotto , E Pugliese , A Carta & L Cesari (2000) Socioeconomic status, overweight and obesity in prepuberal children: a study in an area of Northern Italy. Eur J Epidemiol 16, 797–803.
30. C Klein-Platat , A Wagner , MC Haan , D Arveiler , JL Schlienger & C Simon (2003) Prevalence and sociodemographic determinants of overweight in young French adolescents. Diabetes Metab Res Rev 19, 153–158.
31. PL Kristensen , N Wedderkopp , NC Moller , LB Andersen , CN Bai & K Froberg (2006) Tracking and prevalence of cardiovascular disease risk factors across socio-economic classes: a longitudinal sub study of the European Youth Heart Study. BMC Public Health 6, 20.
34. JD Veldhuis , JN Roemmich , EJ Richmond , AD Rogol , JC Lovejoy , M Sheffield-Moore , N Mauras & CY Bowers (2005) Endocrine control of body composition in infancy, childhood, and puberty. Endocr Rev 26, 114–146.
36. KR Westerterp & AH Goris (2002) Validity of the assessment of dietary intake: problems of misreporting. Current Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 5, 489–493.
37. BL Heitmann & L Lissner (1995) Dietary underreporting by obese individuals – is it specific or non-specific? BMJ 311, 986–989.