1. Feunekes, GIJ, Gortemaker, IA, Willems, AA et al. (2008) Front-of-pack nutrition labelling: testing effectiveness of different nutrition labelling formats front-of-pack in four European countries. Appetite 50, 57–70.
2. Pomeranz, JL (2011) Front-of-package food and beverage labeling. Am J Prev Med 40, 382–385.
3. Hieke, S & Taylor, CR (2012) A critical review of the literature on nutritional labeling. J Consum Aff 46, 120–156.
4. Kasapila, W & Shaarani, SM (2016) Legislation – impact and trends in nutrition labeling: a global overview. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 56, 56–64.
5. Schermel, A, Emrich, TE, Arcand, J et al. (2013) Nutrition marketing on processed food packages in Canada: 2010 Food Label Information Program. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 38, 666–672.
7. Brownell, KD & Koplan, JP (2011) Front-of-package nutrition labeling – an abuse of trust by the food industry? N Engl J Med 364, 2373–2375.
8. Pan American Health Organization (2015) Ultra-Processed Food and Drink Products in Latin America: Trends, Impact on Obesity, Policy Implications. Washington, DC: PAHO.
9. Moodie, R, Stuckler, D, Monteiro, C et al. (2013) Profits and pandemics: prevention of harmful effects of tobacco, alcohol, and ultra-processed food and drink industries. Lancet 381, 670–679.
10. Institute of Medicine (2010) Examination of Front-of-Package Nutrition Rating Systems and Symbols: Phase I Report. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
11. World Health Organization (2004) Global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health. Geneva: WHO.
12. World Health Organization (2013) Global Action Plan for the Prevention and Control of Noncommunicable Diseases, 2013–2020. Geneva: WHO.
13. World Health Organization (2016) Report of the Commission on Ending Childhood Obesity. Geneva: WHO.
16. Institute of Medicine (2012) Front-of-Package Nutrition Rating Systems and Symbols: Promoting Healthier Choices. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
17. Codex Alimentarius Commission (2010) General Standard for the Labelling of Prepackaged Foods. Rome: FAO.
19. Thow, AM, Jones, A, Hawkes, C et al. (2017) Nutrition labelling is a trade policy issue: lessons from an analysis of specific trade concerns at the World Trade Organization. Health Promot Int. Published online: 12 January 2017. doi: 10.1093/heapro/daw109.
21. Rayner, M, Wood, A, Lawrence, M et al. (2013) Monitoring the health‐related labelling of foods and non‐alcoholic beverages in retail settings. Obes Rev 14, Suppl. 1, 70–81.
22. Díaz, AA, Veliz, PM, Rivas-Mariño, G et al. (2017) Etiquetado de alimentos en Ecuador: implementación, resultados y acciones pendientes. Rev Panam Salud Publica 41, e54.
23. Mhurchu, CN, Eyles, H & Choi, Y (2017) Effects of a voluntary front-of-pack nutrition labelling system on packaged food reformulation: the Health Star Rating System in New Zealand. Nutrients 9, E918.
24. Julia, C, Peneau, S, Buscail, C et al. (2017) Perception of different formats of front-of-pack nutrition labels according to sociodemographic, lifestyle and dietary factors in a French population: cross-sectional study among the NutriNet-Sante cohort participants. BMJ Open 7, e016108.
25. Pietinen, P, Valsta, LM, Hirvonen, T et al. (2008) Labelling the salt content in foods: a useful tool in reducing sodium intake in Finland. Public Health Nutr 11, 335–340.
26. Pietinen, P, Männistö, S, Valsta, LM et al. (2010) Nutrition policy in Finland. Public Health Nutr 13, 901–906.
27. Corvalán, C, Reyes, M, Garmendia, ML et al. (2013) Structural responses to the obesity and non‐communicable diseases epidemic: the Chilean Law of Food Labeling and Advertising. Obes Rev 14, Suppl. 2, 79–87.
31. Popova, L (2016) Sugar-sweetened beverage warning labels: lessons learned from the tobacco industry. J Calif Dent Assoc 44, 633–640.
32. Backholer, K, Blake, M & Vandevijvere, S (2016) Have we reached a tipping point for sugar-sweetened beverage taxes? Public Health Nutr 19, 3057–3061.
33. Hawley, KL, Roberto, CA, Bragg, MA et al. (2013) The science on front-of-package food labels. Public Health Nutr 16, 430–439.
34. Maubach, N, Hoek, J & Mather, D (2014) Interpretive front-of-pack nutrition labels. Comparing competing recommendations. Appetite 82, 67–77.
35. Hersey, JC, Wohlgenant, KC, Arsenault, JE et al. (2013) Effects of front‐of‐package and shelf nutrition labeling systems on consumers. Nutr Rev 71, 1–14.
36. Cecchini, M & Warin, L (2016) Impact of food labelling systems on food choices and eating behaviours: a systematic review and meta‐analysis of randomized studies. Obes Rev 17, 201–210.
37. Volkova, E & Mhurchu, CN (2015) The influence of nutrition labeling and point-of-purchase information on food behaviours. Curr Obes Rep 4, 19–29.
38. Arrúa, A, Curutchet, MR, Rey, N et al. (2017) Impact of front-of-pack nutrition information and label design on children’s choice of two snack foods: comparison of warnings and the traffic-light system. Appetite 116, 139–146.
39. Arrúa, A, Machín, L, Curutchet, MR et al. (2017) Warnings as a directive front-of-pack nutrition labelling scheme: comparison with the Guideline Daily Amount and traffic-light systems. Public Health Nutr 20, 2308–2317.
40. Cabrera, M, Machín, L, Arrúa, A et al. (2017) Nutrition warnings as front-of-pack labels: influence of design features on healthfulness perception and attentional capture. Public Health Nutr 20, 3360–3371.
41. Wyness, LA, Butriss, JL & Stanner, SA (2012) Reducing the population’s sodium intake: the UK Food Standards Agency’s salt reduction programme. Public Health Nutr 15, 254–261.
42. Mandle, J, Tugendhaft, A, Michalow, J et al. (2015) Nutrition labelling: a review of research on consumer and industry response in the global South. Glob Health Action 8, 25912.
43. Vyth, EL, Steenhuis, IH, Roodenburg, AJ et al. (2010) Front-of-pack nutrition label stimulates healthier product development: a quantitative analysis. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 7, 65.
44. Thomson, RK, McLean, RM, Ning, SX et al. (2016) Tick front-of-pack label has a positive nutritional impact on foods sold in New Zealand. Public Health Nutr 19, 2949–2958.
45. Ning, SX, Mainvil, LA, Thomson, RK et al. (2017) Dietary sodium reduction in New Zealand: influence of the ‘Tick’ label. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 26, 1133–1138.
46. Becker, MW, Bello, NM, Sundar, RP et al. (2015) Front of pack labels enhance attention to nutrition information in novel and commercial brands. Food Policy 56, 76–86.
47. Hammond, D (2011) Health warning messages on tobacco products: a review. Tob Control 20, 327–337.
48. Watson, WL, Kelly, B, Hector, D et al. (2014) Can front-of-pack labelling schemes guide healthier food choices? Australian shoppers’ responses to seven labelling formats. Appetite 72, 90–97.
49. Gorton, D, Mhurchu, CN, Chen, M et al. (2009) Nutrition labels: a survey of use, understanding and preferences among ethnically diverse shoppers in New Zealand. Public Health Nutr 12, 1359–1365.
50. Kelly, B, Hughes, C, Chapman, K et al. (2009) Consumer testing of the acceptability and effectiveness of front-of-pack food labelling systems for the Australian grocery market. Health Promot Int 24, 120–129.
51. Backholer, K, Beauchamp, A, Ball, K et al. (2014) A framework for evaluating the impact of obesity prevention strategies on socioeconomic inequalities in weight. Am J Public Health 104, e43–e50.
52. Talati, Z, Pettigrew, S, Dixon, H et al. (2016) Do health claims and front-of-pack labels lead to a positivity bias in unhealthy foods? Nutrients 8, E787.
53. Health Canada (2017) Front-of-Package Nutrition Labelling: September 18 Stakeholder Engagement Meeting. Ottawa: Health Canada.
55. EUFIC (2017) Global Update on Nutrition Labelling: The 2017 Edition. Brussels: EUFIC.
56. Hamlin, R & McNeill, L (2016) Does the Australasian ‘Health Star Rating’ front of pack nutritional label system work? Nutrients 8, E327.