This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. CB Ebbeling , DB Pawlak & DS Ludwig (2002) Childhood obesity: public-health crisis, common sense cure. Lancet 360, 473–482.
2. AP Rocchini (2002) Childhood obesity and a diabetes epidemic. N Engl J Med 346, 854–855.
3. A Must , J Spadano , EH Coakley et al. (1999) The disease burden associated with overweight and obesity. JAMA 282, 1523–1529.
5. RM Fuentes , IL Notkola , S Shemeikka et al. (2003) Tracking of body mass index during childhood: a 15-year prospective population-based family study in eastern Finland. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 27, 716–721.
6. J Wardle , NH Brodersen , TJ Cole et al. (2006) Development of adiposity in adolescence: five year longitudinal study of an ethnically and socioeconomically diverse sample of young people in Britain. BMJ 332, 1130–1135.
7. AS Singh , C Mulder , JWR Twisk et al. (2008) Tracking of childhood overweight into adulthood: a systematic review of the literature. Obes Rev 9, 474–488.
8. RC Whitaker , JA Wright , MS Pepe et al. (1997) Predicting obesity in young adulthood from childhood and parental obesity. N Engl J Med 337, 869–873.
9. H Jia & EI Lubetkin (2010) Trends in quality-adjusted life-years lost contributed by smoking and obesity. Am J Prev Med 38, 138–144.
10. D Yach , D Stuckler & KD Brownell (2006) Epidemiologic and economic consequences of the global epidemics of obesity and diabetes. Nat Med 12, 62–66.
11. K Giskes , CB Kamphuis , FJ van Lenthe et al. (2007) A systematic review of associations between environmental factors, energy and fat intakes among adults: is there evidence for environments that encourage obesogenic dietary intakes? Public Health Nutr 10, 1005–1017.
12. WS Poston & JP Foreyt (1999) Obesity is an environmental issue. Atherosclerosis 146, 201–209.
13. JF Sallis , RB Cervero , W Ascher et al. (2006) An ecological approach to creating active living communities. Annu Rev Public Health 27, 297–322.
15. EM Taveras , CS Berkey , SL Rifas-Shiman et al. (2005) Association of consumption of fried food away from home with body mass index and diet quality in older children and adolescents. Pediatrics 116, e518–e524.
16. B Swinburn , G Egger & F Raza (1999) Dissecting obesogenic environments: the development and application of a framework for identifying and prioritizing environmental interventions for obesity. Prev Med 29, 563–570.
17. M Story , MS Nanney & MB Schwartz (2009) Schools and obesity prevention: creating school environments and policies to promote healthy eating and physical activity. Milbank Q 87, 71–100.
18. D Chang , A Gertel-Rosenberg , V Drayton et al. (2010) A statewide strategy to battle child obesity in Delaware. Health Aff (Millwood) 29, 481–490.
19. BA Swinburn & AM de Silva-Sanigorski (2010) Where to from here for preventing childhood obesity: an international perspective. Obesity (Silver Spring) 18, Suppl. 1, S4–S7.
20. L Trasande & S Chatterjee (2009) The impact of obesity on health service utilization and costs in childhood. Obesity (Silver Spring) 17, 1749–1754.
21. S Kuhle , S Kirk , A Ohinmaa et al. (2011) Use and cost of health services among overweight and obese Canadian children. Int J Pediatr Obes 6, 142–148.
22. J John , CM Wenig & SB Wolfenstetter (2010) Recent economic findings on childhood obesity: cost-of-illness and cost-effectiveness of interventions. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 13, 305–313.
23. PJ Veugelers & AL Fitzgerald (2005) Prevalence of and risk factors for childhood overweight and obesity. CMAJ 173, 607–613.
24. HR Rockett , AM Wolf & GA Colditz (1995) Development and reproducibility of a food frequency questionnaire to assess diets of older children and adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc 95, 336–340.
30. ET Kennedy , J Ohls , S Carlson et al. (1995) The healthy eating index: design and applications. J Am Diet Assoc 95, 1103–1108.
32. A Kant (2004) Dietary patterns and health outcomes. J Am Diet Assoc 104, 615–635.
33. LG Smithers , RK Golley , L Brazionis et al. (2011) Characterizing whole diets of young children from developed countries and the association between diet and health: a systematic review. Nutr Rev 69, 449–467.
34. AB Spinks , RJ McClure , C Bain et al. (2006) Quantifying the association between physical activity and injury in primary school-aged children. Pediatrics 118, 43–50.
35. JW Peabody , J Luck , S Jain et al. (2004) Assessing the accuracy of administrative data in health information systems. Med Care 42, 1066–1072.
36. JD Willms , MS Tremblay & PT Katzmarzyk (2003) Geographic and demographic variation in the prevalence of overweight Canadian children. Obes Res 11, 668–673.
38. MS Tremblay & JD Willms (2003) Is the Canadian childhood obesity epidemic related to physical inactivity? Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 27, 1100–1105.
39. PJ Veugelers & AL Fitzgerald (2005) Effectiveness of school programs in preventing childhood obesity: a multilevel comparison. Am J Public Health 95, 432–435.
40. MD Florence , M Asbridge & PJ Veugelers (2008) Diet quality and academic performance. J Sch Health 78, 209–215.
41. R Carter , M Moodie , A Markwick et al. (2009) Assessing Cost-Effectiveness in Obesity (ACE-Obesity): an overview of the ACE approach, economic methods and cost results. BMC Public Health 9, 419.