1. Kushel, M, Gupta, R, Gee, LM et al. (2016) Housing instability and food insecurity as barriers to health care among low-income Americans. J Gen Intern Med 21, 71–77.
3. Baggett, TP, Singer, DE, Rao, SR et al. (2011) Food insufficiency and health services utilization in a national sample of homeless adults.
J Gen Intern Med 26, 627–634.
4. Bowen, EA, Bowen, SK & Barman-Adhikari, A (2016) Prevalence and covariates of food insecurity among residents of single-room occupancy housing in Chicago, IL, USA. Public Health Nutr 19, 1122–1130.
5. Carrion, BV, Earnshaw, VA, Kershaw, T et al. (2015) Housing instability and birth weight among young urban mothers. J Urban Health 92, 1–9.
6. Kirkpatrick, SI & Tarasuk, V (2011) Housing circumstances are associated with household food access among low-income urban families. J Urban Health 88, 284–296.
7. Parpouchi, M, Moniruzzaman, A, Russolillo, A et al. (2016) Food insecurity among homeless adults with mental illness. PLoS One 11, e0159334.
9. Dachner, N & Tarasuk, V (2002) Homeless ‘squeegee kids’: food insecurity and daily survival. Soc Sci Med 54, 1039–1049.
10. Tarasuk, V, Dachner, N, Poland, B et al. (2009) Food deprivation is integral to the ‘hand to mouth’ existence of homeless youths in Toronto. Public Health Nutr 12, 1437–1442.
11. Booth, S (2006) Eating rough: food sources and acquisition practices of homeless young people in Adelaide, South Australia. Public Health Nutr 9, 212–218.
12. Crawford, B, Yamazaki, R, Franke, E et al. (2015) Is something better than nothing? Food insecurity and eating patterns of young people experiencing homelessness. Aust N Z J Public Health 39, 350–354.
13. Booth, SL & Coveney, J (2007) Survival on the streets: prosocial and moral behaviors among food insecure homeless youth in Adelaide, South Australia. J Hunger Environ Nutr 2, 41–53.
14. Whitbeck, LB, Chen, X & Johnson, KD (2006) Food insecurity among homeless and runaway adolescents. Public Health Nutr 9, 47–52.
15. Li, A, Dachner, N & Tarasuk, V (2009) Food intake patterns of homeless youth in Toronto. Can J Public Health 1, 36–40.
16. Hickler, B & Auerswald, CL (2009) The worlds of homeless white and African American youth in San Francisco, California: a cultural epidemiological comparison. Soc Sci Med 68, 824–831.
17. Ha, Y, Narendorf, SC, Santa Maria, D et al. (2015) Barriers and facilitators to shelter utilization among homeless young adults. Eval Program Plann 53, 25–33.
18. Ryan, TN & Thompson, SJ (2013) Perspectives on housing among homeless emerging adults. Eval Program Plann 36, 107–114.
19. Martino, SC, Tucker, JS, Ryan, G et al. (2011) Increased substance use and risky sexual behavior among migratory homeless youth: exploring the role of social network composition. J Youth Adolesc 40, 1634–1648.
20. Sanders, B, Lankenau, SE, Jackson-Bloom, J et al. (2008) Multiple drug use and polydrug use amongst homeless traveling youth. J Ethn Subst Abuse 7, 23–40.
21. Zerger, S, Strehlow, AJ & Gundlapalli, AV (2008) Homeless young adults and behavioral health. Am Behav Sci 51, 824–841.
22. Narendorf, SC, Cross, MB, Santa Maria, D et al. (2017) Relations between mental health diagnoses, mental health treatment, and substance use in homeless youth. Drug Alcohol Depend 175, 1–8.
23. Kissane, RJ (2010) ‘We call it the badlands’: how social-spatial geographies influence social service use. Soc Serv Rev 84, 3–28.
24. Miewald, C & McCann, E (2014) Foodscapes and the geographies of poverty: sustenance, strategy, and politics in an urban neighborhood. Antipode 46, 537–556.
26. Sandelowski, M (2010) What’s in a name? Qualitative description revisited. Res Nurs Health 33, 77–84.
27. Sandelowski, M (2000) Whatever happened to qualitative description? Res Nurs Health 23, 334–340.
28. Padgett, DK (2016) Qualitative Methods in Social Work Research. New York: SAGE Publications, Inc.
29. Coates, J, Swindale, A & Bilinsky, P (2007) Household Food Insecurity Access Scale (HFIAS) for Measurement of Food Access: Indicator Guide (v. 3). Washington, DC: Food and Nutrition Technical Assistance Project, Academy for Educational Development.
30. Holland, AC, Kennedy, MC & Hwang, SW (2011) The assessment of food security in homeless individuals: a comparison of the Food Security Survey Module and the Household Food Insecurity Access Scale. Public Health Nutr 14, 2254–2259.
32. Lipsky, M (2010) Street-Level Bureaucracy: Dilemmas of the Individual in Public Service. New York: Russel Sage Foundation.
35. Munson, MR, Brown, S, Spencer, R et al. (2015) Supportive relationships among former system youth with mental health challenges. J Adolesc Res 30, 501–529.