NCD Risk Factor Collaboration (2016) Trends in adult body-mass index in 200 countries from 1975 to 2014: a pooled analysis of 1698 population-based measurement studies with 19.2 million participants. Lancet 387, 1377–1396.
2. Popkin, BM (2001) The nutrition transition and obesity in the developing world. J Nutr 131, issue 3, 871S–873S.
El Ati, J, Traissac, P, Delpeuch, F et al. (2012) Gender obesity inequities are huge but differ greatly according to environment and socio-economics in a North African setting: a national cross-sectional study in Tunisia. PLoS One 7, e48153.
4. World Health Organization (2015) The Global Prevalence of Anaemia in 2011. Geneva: WHO.
Balarajan, Y, Ramakrishnan, U, Ozaltin, E et al. (2011) Anaemia in low-income and middle-income countries. Lancet 378, 2123–2135.
Bates, K, Gjonca, A & Leone, T (2017) Double burden or double counting of child malnutrition? The methodological and theoretical implications of stuntingoverweight in low and middle income countries. J Epidemiol Community Health 71, 779–785.
Gartner, A, El Ati, J, Traissac, P et al. (2014) A double burden of overall or central adiposity and anemia or iron deficiency is prevalent but with little socioeconomic patterning among Moroccan and Tunisian urban women. J Nutr 144, 87–97.
Zeba, AN, Delisle, HF, Renier, G et al. (2012) The double burden of malnutrition and cardiometabolic risk widens the gender and socio-economic health gap: a study among adults in Burkina Faso (West Africa). Public Health Nutr 15, 2210–2219.
Doak, CM, Adair, LS, Monteiro, C et al. (2000) Overweight and underweight coexist within households in Brazil, China and Russia. J Nutr 130, 2965–2971.
Jehn, M & Brewis, A (2009) Paradoxical malnutrition in mother–child pairs: untangling the phenomenon of over- and under-nutrition in underdeveloped economies. Econ Hum Biol 7, 28–35.
Garrett, JL & Ruel, MT (2005) Stunted child–overweight mother pairs: prevalence and association with economic development and urbanization. Food Nutr Bull 26, 209–221.
Oddo, VM, Rah, JH, Semba, RD et al. (2012) Predictors of maternal and child double burden of malnutrition in rural Indonesia and Bangladesh. Am J Clin Nutr 95, 951–958.
Lee, J, Houser, RF, Must, A et al. (2010) Disentangling nutritional factors and household characteristics related to child stunting and maternal overweight in Guatemala. Econ Hum Biol 8, 188–196.
14. Deleuze Ntandou Bouzitou, G, Fayomi, B & Delisle, H (2005) Child malnutrition and maternal overweight in same households in poor urban areas of Benin. Sante 15, 263–270.
Kroker-Lobos, MF, Pedroza-Tobias, A, Pedraza, LS et al. (2014) The double burden of undernutrition and excess body weight in Mexico. Am J Clin Nutr 100, issue 6, 1652S–168S.
Traissac, P, El Ati, J, Gartner, A et al. (2016) Gender inequalities in excess adiposity and anaemia combine in a large double burden of malnutrition gap detrimental to women in an urban area in North Africa. Public Health Nutr 19, 1428–1437.
Atek, M, Traissac, P, El Ati, J et al. (2013) Obesity and association with area of residence, gender and socio-economic factors in Algerian and Tunisian adults. PLoS One 8, e75640.
19. Institut National de Nutrition et de Technologie Alimentaire (2002) Anémie en Tunisie: Causes et mesures d’interventions. Tunis: Ministry of Public Health.
20. Institut National de la Statistique (2005) Recensement général des habitants et de l’habitat en 2004. Tunis: INS.
21. United Nations Development Programme (2010) Human Development Report 2010. New York: UNDP.
22. Lohman, TG, Roche, AF & Martorell, R (1988) Anthropometric Standardization Reference Manual. Champaign IL: Human Kinetics.
23. de Onis, M, Onyango, AW, Borghi, E et al. (2006) Comparison of the World Health Organization (WHO) Child Growth Standards and the National Center for Health Statistics/WHO international growth reference: implications for child health programmes. Public Health Nutr 9, 942–947.
24. World Health Organization (2000) Obesity: Preventing and Managing the Global Epidemic. Report of WHO Consultation on Obesity. WHO Technical Report Series no. 894. Geneva: WHO.
25. World Health Organization, UNICEF & United Nations University (2001) Iron Deficiency Anaemia: Assessment, Prevention, and Control. A Guide for Programme Managers (WHO/NHD/01.3). Geneva: WHO.
Traissac, P & Martin-Prevel, Y (2012) Alternatives to principal components analysis to derive asset-based indices to measure socio-economic position in low- and middle-income countries: the case for multiple correspondence analysis. Int J Epidemiol 41, 1207–1208.
27. Willett, W (2013
) Nutritional Epidemiology
, 3rd ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
28. El Ati, J, Béji, C, Farhat, A et al. (2007) Table de composition des aliments tunisiens. Tunisia: INNTA/IRD.
29. ESHA Research, Inc. (2003) Food Processor Software Version 8.3. Salem, OR: ESHA Research, Inc.
Hatloy, A, Hallund, J, Diarra, MM et al. (2000) Food variety, socioeconomic status and nutritional status in urban and rural areas in Koutiala (Mali). Public Health Nutr 3, 57–65.
31. El Ati, J, Houti, L, Farhat, A et al. (2004) Development, reproducibility and validity of a physical activity frequency questionnaire in North Africa. Arab J Food Nutr 5, 148–167.
32. Ainsworth, BE, Haskell, WL, Whitt, MC et al. (2000) Compendium of physical activities: an update of activity codes and MET intensities. Med Sci Sports Exerc 32, 9 Suppl., S498–S504.
Henry, CJ (2005) Basal metabolic rate studies in humans: measurement and development of new equations. Public Health Nutr 8, 1133–1152.
34. Food Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, World Health Organization & United Nations University (2004) Human Energy Requirements: Energy Requirement of Adults. Joint FAO/WHO/UNU Expert Consultation. Food and Nutrition Technical Report Series no. 1. Rome: FAO.
35. Hosmer, DW & Lemeshow, S (2000) Applied Logistic Regression, 2nd ed. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
36. UNICEF, Ministère de la Santé Publique & Direction des Soins de Santé de Base (2000) Enquête sur la santé et le bien être de la mère et de l’enfant. Tunisia Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey 2 (MICS 2). Tunis: Ministère de la Santé Publique.
Keino, S, Plasqui, G, Ettyang, G et al. (2014) Determinants of stunting and overweight among young children and adolescents in sub-Saharan Africa. Food Nutr Bull 35, 167–178.
de Onis, M, Blossner, M & Borghi, E (2010) Global prevalence and trends of overweight and obesity among preschool children. Am J Clin Nutr 92, 1257–1264.
Kanter, R & Caballero, B (2012) Global gender disparities in obesity: a review. Adv Nutr 3, 491–498.
40. El Ati, J, Lefevre, P, Beji, C et al. (2008) Aetiological factors and perception of anaemia in Tunisian women of reproductive age. Public Health Nutr 11, 729–736.
Leroy, JL, Habicht, JP, Gonzalez de Cossio, T et al. (2014) Maternal education mitigates the negative effects of higher income on the double burden of child stunting and maternal overweight in rural Mexico. J Nutr 144, 765–770.
42. Aitsi-Selmi, A (2015) Households with a stunted child and obese mother: trends and child feeding practices in a middle-income country, 1992–2008. Matern Child Health J 19, 1284–1291.
Garrett, J & Ruel, MT (2005) The coexistence of child undernutrition and maternal overweight: prevalence, hypotheses, and programme and policy implications. Matern Child Nutr 1, 185–196.
Samaniego-Vaesken, ML, Partearroyo, T, Olza, J et al. (2017) Iron intake and dietary sources in the Spanish population: findings from the ANIBES study. Nutrients 9, E203.
45. Leal, LP, Batista Filho, M, Lira, PI et al. (2011) Prevalence of anemia and associated factors in children aged 6–59 months in Pernambuco, Northeastern Brazil. Rev Saude Publica 45, 457–466.
46. Semedo, RM, Santos, MM, Baiao, MR et al. (2014) Prevalence of anaemia and associated factors among children below five years of age in Cape Verde, West Africa. J Health Popul Nutr 32, 646–657.
47. Kuziga, F, Adoke, Y & Wanyenze, RK (2017) Prevalence and factors associated with anaemia among children aged 6 to 59 months in Namutumba district, Uganda: a cross- sectional study. BMC Pediatr 17, 25.
Ngnie-Teta, I, Receveur, O & Kuate-Defo, B (2007) Risk factors for moderate to severe anemia among children in Benin and Mali: insights from a multilevel analysis. Food Nutr Bull 28, 76–89.
49. Tympa-Psirropoulou, E, Vagenas, C, Dafni, O et al. (2008) Environmental risk factors for iron deficiency anemia in children 12–24 months old in the area of Thessalia in Greece. Hippokratia 12, 240–250.
Zhao, A, Zhang, Y, Peng, Y et al. (2012) Prevalence of anemia and its risk factors among children 6–36 months old in Burma. Am J Trop Med Hyg 87, 306–311.
Halileh, S & Gordon, NH (2006) Determinants of anemia in pre-school children in the occupied Palestinian territory. J Trop Pediatr 52, 12–18.
McDonald, CM, McLean, J, Kroeun, H et al. (2015) Household food insecurity and dietary diversity as correlates of maternal and child undernutrition in rural Cambodia. Eur J Clin Nutr 69, 242–246.
53. Jones-Smith, JC, Gordon-Larsen, P, Siddiqi, A et al. (2011) Cross-national comparisons of time trends in overweight inequality by socioeconomic status among women using repeated cross-sectional surveys from 37 developing countries, 1989–2007. Am J Epidemiol 173, 667–675.
Subramanian, SV, Perkins, JM, Ozaltin, E et al. (2011) Weight of nations: a socioeconomic analysis of women in low- to middle-income countries. Am J Clin Nutr 93, 413–421.
55. Monteiro, CA, Moura, EC, Conde, WL et al. (2004) Socioeconomic status and obesity in adult populations of developing countries: a review. Bull World Health Organ 82, 940–946.
Hill, JO, Wyatt, HR & Peters, JC (2012) Energy balance and obesity. Circulation 126, 126–132.
Ru, Y, Pressman, EK, Cooper, EM et al. (2016) Iron deficiency and anemia are prevalent in women with multiple gestations. Am J Clin Nutr 104, 1052–1060.
McCloskey, K, Ponsonby, AL, Collier, F et al. (2016) The association between higher maternal pre-pregnancy body mass index and increased birth weight, adiposity and inflammation in the newborn. Pediatr Obes 13, 46–53.