This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. AS Daar , PA Singer , DL Persad (2007) Grand challenges in chronic non-communicable diseases. Nature 450, 494–496.
2. RM Krauss , RH Eckel , B Howard (2000) AHA Dietary Guidelines: revision 2000: a statement for healthcare professionals from the Nutrition Committee of the American Heart Association. Circulation 102, 2284–2299.
5. G Danaei , EL Ding , D Mozaffarian (2009) The preventable causes of death in the United States: comparative risk assessment of dietary, lifestyle, and metabolic risk factors. PLoS Med 6, e1000058.
7. MA Martinez-Gonzalez , A Sanchez-Villegas , J De Irala (2002) Mediterranean diet and stroke: objectives and design of the SUN project. Seguimiento Universidad de Navarra. Nutr Neurosci 5, 65–73.
8. M Segui-Gomez , C de la Fuente , Z Vazquez (2006) Cohort profile: the ‘Seguimiento Universidad de Navarra’ (SUN) study. Int J Epidemiol 35, 1417–1422.
9. JM Martin-Moreno , P Boyle , L Gorgojo (1993) Development and validation of a food frequency questionnaire in Spain. Int J Epidemiol 22, 512–519.
12. A Alonso , JJ Beunza , M Delgado-Rodríguez (2005) Validation of self reported diagnosis of hypertension in a cohort of university graduates in Spain. BMC Public Health 5, 94.
15. A Sanchez-Villegas , J Schlatter , F Ortuno (2008) Validity of a self-reported diagnosis of depression among participants in a cohort study using the Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV (SCID-I). BMC Psychiatr 8, 43.
17. MA Pereira , E O'Reilly , K Augustsson (2004) Dietary fiber and risk of coronary heart disease: a pooled analysis of cohort studies. Arch Intern Med 164, 370–376.
19. FJ He , CA Nowson , M Lucas (2007) Increased consumption of fruit and vegetables is related to a reduced risk of coronary heart disease: meta-analysis of cohort studies. J Hum Hypertens 21, 717–728.
20. AR Ness & JW Powles (1997) Fruit and vegetables, and cardiovascular disease: a review. Int J Epidemiol 26, 1–13.
21. L Dauchet , P Amouyel & J Dallongeville (2005) Fruit and vegetable consumption and risk of stroke: a meta-analysis of cohort studies. Neurology 65, 1193–1197.
22. FJ He , CA Nowson & GA MacGregor (2006) Fruit and vegetable consumption and stroke: meta-analysis of cohort studies. Lancet 367, 320–326.
24. R Takachi , M Inoue , J Ishihara (2008) Fruit and vegetable intake and risk of total cancer and cardiovascular disease: Japan Public Health Center-Based Prospective Study. Am J Epidemiol 167, 59–70.
25. H Cai , XO Shu , YT Gao (2007) A prospective study of dietary patterns and mortality in Chinese women. Epidemiology 18, 393–401.
28. L Dauchet , M Montaye , JB Ruidavets (2010) Association between the frequency of fruit and vegetable consumption and cardiovascular disease in male smokers and non-smokers. Eur J Clin Nutr 64, 578–586.
29. M Hamer & Y Chida (2007) Intake of fruit, vegetables, and antioxidants and risk of type 2 diabetes: systematic review and meta-analysis. J Hypertens 25, 2361–2369.
30. P Carter , LJ Gray , J Troughton (2010) Fruit and vegetable intake and incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 341, c4229.
31. P Boffetta , J Wichmann , P Ferrari (2010) Fruit and vegetable intake and overall cancer risk in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). J Natl Cancer Inst 102, 529–537.
32. WC Willett (2010) Fruits, vegetables, and cancer prevention: turmoil in the produce section. J Natl Cancer Inst 102, 510–511.
34. JE Lee , S Mannisto , D Spiegelman (2009) Intakes of fruit, vegetables, and carotenoids and renal cell cancer risk: a pooled analysis of 13 prospective studies. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18, 1730–1739.
37. L Dauchet , P Amouyel & J Dallongeville (2009) Fruits, vegetables and coronary heart disease. Nat Rev Cardiol 6, 599–608.
38. JA Hutcheon , A Chiolero & JA Hanley (2010) Random measurement error and regression dilution bias. BMJ 340, c2289.
39. HC Hung , KJ Joshipura , R Jiang (2004) Fruit and vegetable intake and risk of major chronic disease. J Natl Cancer Inst 96, 1577–1584.
40. J De Irala , M Groth , L Johansson (2000) A systematic review of socio-economic differences in food habits in Europe: consumption of fruit and vegetables. Eur J Clin Nutr 54, 706–714.