This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. JE Shaw , RA Sicree & PZ Zimmet (2010) Global estimates of the prevalence of diabetes for 2010 and 2030. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 87, 4–14.
2. S van Dieren , JW Beulens , YT van der Schouw et al. (2010) The global burden of diabetes and its complications: an emerging pandemic. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 17, Suppl. 1, S3–S8.
3. LA Bazzano , M Serdula & S Liu (2005) Prevention of type 2 diabetes by diet and lifestyle modification. J Am Coll Nutr 24, 310–319.
5. R Villegas , S Liu , YT Gao et al. (2007) Prospective study of dietary carbohydrates, glycemic index, glycemic load, and incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus in middle-aged Chinese women. Arch Intern Med 167, 2310–2316.
6. I Sluijs , JW Beulens , DL van der A et al. (2010) Dietary intake of total, animal, and vegetable protein and risk of type 2 diabetes in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC)-NL study. Diabetes Care 33, 43–48.
8. ET Wang , L de Koning & AM Kanaya (2010) Higher protein intake is associated with diabetes risk in South Asian Indians: the metabolic syndrome and atherosclerosis in South Asians living in America (MASALA) study. J Am Coll Nutr 29, 130–135.
9. U Riserus , WC Willett & FB Hu (2009) Dietary fats and prevention of type 2 diabetes. Prog Lipid Res 48, 44–51.
10. KA Meyer , LH Kushi , DR Jacobs Jr et al. (2001) Dietary fat and incidence of type 2 diabetes in older Iowa women. Diabetes Care 24, 1528–1535.
12. C Lee , AJ Dobson , WJ Brown et al. (2005) Cohort profile: the Australian longitudinal study on women's health. Int J Epidemiol 34, 987–991.
15. A Hodge , AJ Patterson , WJ Brown et al. (2000) The Anti Cancer Council of Victoria FFQ: relative validity of nutrient intakes compared with weighed food records in young to middle-aged women in a study of iron supplementation. Aust N Z J Public Health 24, 576–583.
16. J Lowe , J Byles , X Dolja-Gore et al. (2010) Does systematically organized care improve outcomes for women with diabetes? J Eval Clin Pract 16, 887–894.
22. RM van Dam , WC Willett , EB Rimm et al. (2002) Dietary fat and meat intake in relation to risk of type 2 diabetes in men. Diabetes Care 25, 417–424.
23. Y Song , JE Manson , JE Buring et al. (2004) A prospective study of red meat consumption and type 2 diabetes in middle-aged and elderly women: the women's health study. Diabetes Care 27, 2108–2115.
24. FB Hu , RM van Dam & S Liu (2001) Diet and risk of type II diabetes: the role of types of fat and carbohydrate. Diabetologia 44, 805–817.
26. EJ Feskens , SM Virtanen , L Rasanen et al. (1995) Dietary factors determining diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance. A 20-year follow-up of the Finnish and Dutch cohorts of the Seven Countries Study. Diabetes Care 18, 1104–1112.
27. JA Marshall , S Hoag , S Shetterly et al. (1994) Dietary fat predicts conversion from impaired glucose tolerance to NIDDM. The San Luis Valley Diabetes Study. Diabetes Care 17, 50–56.
28. EJ Mayer , B Newman , CP Quesenberry Jr et al. (1993) Usual dietary fat intake and insulin concentrations in healthy women twins. Diabetes Care 16, 1459–1469.
31. L Djousse , SC Hunt , W Tang et al. (2006) Dietary linolenic acid and fasting glucose and insulin: the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Family Heart Study. Obesity (Silver Spring) 14, 295–300.
32. I Toft , KH Bonaa , OC Ingebretsen et al. (1995) Effects of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on glucose homeostasis and blood pressure in essential hypertension. Ann Intern Med 123, 911–918.
34. J Kröger , V Zietemann , C Enzenbach et al. (2011) Erythrocyte membrane phospholipid fatty acids, desaturase activity, and dietary fatty acids in relation to risk of type 2 diabetes in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC)-Potsdam Study. Am J Clin Nutr 93, 127–142.
35. DE Barre , KA Mizier-Barre , O Griscti et al. (2008) High dose flaxseed oil supplementation may affect fasting blood serum glucose management in human type 2 diabetics. J Oleo Sci 57, 269–273.
36. CG Taylor , AD Noto , DM Stringer et al. (2010) Dietary milled flaxseed and flaxseed oil improve n-3 fatty acid status and do not affect glycemic control in individuals with well-controlled type 2 diabetes. J Am Coll Nutr 29, 72–80.
37. DP Brostow , AO Odegaard , W-P Koh et al. (2011) Omega-3 fatty acids and incident type 2 diabetes: the Singapore Chinese Health Study. Am J Clin Nutr 94, 520–526.
38. L Djousse , ML Biggs , RN Lemaitre et al. (2011) Plasma omega-3 fatty acids and incident diabetes in older adults. Am J Clin Nutr 94, 527–533.
39. T Muramatsu , H Yatsuya , H Toyoshima et al. (2010) Higher dietary intake of α-linolenic acid is associated with lower insulin resistance in middle-aged Japanese. Prev Med 50, 272–276.
41. M Williams & J Nadler (2007) Inflammatory mechanisms of diabetic complications. Curr Diabetes Rep 7, 242–248.
42. A Morise , C Serougne , D Gripois et al. (2004) Effects of dietary α linolenic acid on cholesterol metabolism in male and female hamsters of the LPN strain. J Nutr Biochem 15, 51–61.
43. AP Simopoulos (2008) The importance of the omega-6/omega-3 fatty acid ratio in cardiovascular disease and other chronic diseases. Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 233, 674–688.
44. JM Mooy , PA Grootenhuis , H de Vries et al. (1995) Prevalence and determinants of glucose intolerance in a Dutch Caucasian population. The Hoorn Study. Diabetes Care 18, 1270–1273.
45. B Vessby , A Aro , E Skarfors et al. (1994) The risk to develop NIDDM is related to the fatty acid composition of the serum cholesterol esters. Diabetes 43, 1353–1357.
46. B Krachler , M Norberg , JW Eriksson et al. (2008) Fatty acid profile of the erythrocyte membrane preceding development of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 18, 503–510.
47. D Iggman , J Arnlov , B Vessby et al. (2010) Adipose tissue fatty acids and insulin sensitivity in elderly men. Diabetologia 53, 850–857.
48. MB Schulze , M Schulz , C Heidemann et al. (2008) Carbohydrate intake and incidence of type 2 diabetes in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC)–Potsdam Study. Br J Nutr 99, 1107–1116.
49. A Alhazmi , E Stojanovski , M McEvoy et al. (2012) Macronutrient intakes and development of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies. J Am Coll Nutr 31, 243–258.
50. AO Akinkuolie , JS Ngwa , JB Meigs et al. (2011) Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid and insulin sensitivity: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Clin Nutr 30, 702–707.
51. VM Montori , A Farmer , PC Wollan et al. (2000) Fish oil supplementation in type 2 diabetes: a quantitative systematic review. Diabetes Care 23, 1407–1415.
52. RJ Deckelbaum & C Torrejon (2012) The omega-3 fatty acid nutritional landscape: health benefits and sources. J Nutr 142, issue 3, 587S–591S.