This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. V Chang & N Christakis (2001) Extent and determinants of discrepancy between self-evaluations of weight status and clinical standards. J Gen Intern Med 16, 538–543.
2. VW Chang & NA Christakis (2003) Self-perception of weight appropriateness in the United States. Am J Prev Med 24, 332–339.
3. G Bennett & K Wolin (2006) Satisfied or unaware? Racial differences in perceived weight status. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 3, 40.
4. M Yannakoulia , DB Panagiotakos , C Pitsavos et al. (2006) Correlates of BMI misreporting among apparently healthy individuals: the ATTICA Study. Obesity (Silver Spring) 14, 894–901.
5. M Inoue , S Toyokawa , Y Miyoshi et al. (2007) Degree of agreement between weight perception and body mass index of Japanese workers: MY Health Up Study. J Occup Health 49, 376–381.
6. D-S Kim , H-S Kim , Y Cho et al. (2008) The effects of actual and perceived body weight on unhealthy weight control behaviors and depressed mood among adult women in Seoul, Korea. J Prev Med Public Health 41, 323–330.
7. W Johnson-Taylor , R Fisher , V Hubbard et al. (2008) The change in weight perception of weight status among the overweight: comparison of NHANES III (1988–1994) and 1999–2004 NHANES. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 5, 9.
8. F Johnson , L Cooke , H Croker et al. (2008) Changing perceptions of weight in Great Britain: comparison of two population surveys. BMJ 337, a494.
10. RR Dorsey , MS Eberhardt & CL Ogden (2009) Racial/ethnic differences in weight perception. Obesity (Silver Spring) 17, 790–795.
11. S Yaemsiri , MM Slining & S Agarwal (2011) Perceived weight status, overweight diagnosis, and weight control among US adults: the NHANES 2003–2008 Study. Int J Obes (Lond) 35, 1063–1070.
12. Y Wong & Y Huang (1999) Obesity concerns, weight satisfaction and characteristics of female dieters: a study on female Taiwanese college students. J Am Coll Nutr 18, 194–200.
13. S Paeratakul , MA White , DA Williamson et al. (2002) Sex, race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and BMI in relation to self-perception of overweight. Obes Res 10, 345–350.
14. C Gregory , H Blanck , C Gillespie et al. (2008) Health perceptions and demographic characteristics associated with underassessment of body weight. Obesity (Silver Spring) 16, 979–986.
15. A Jaworowska & G Bazylak (2009) An outbreak of body weight dissatisfaction associated with self-perceived BMI and dieting among female pharmacy students. Biomed Pharmacother 63, 679–692.
16. TW Auyeung , JSW Lee , J Leung et al. (2010) Survival in older men may benefit from being slightly overweight and centrally obese – a 5-year follow-up study in 4,000 older adults using DXA. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 65A, 99–104.
17. KJ Rothman (2008) BMI related errors in the measurement of obesity. Int J Obes (Lond) 32, Suppl. 3, S56–S59.
18. EM Perrin , KB Flower & AS Ammerman (2005) Pediatricians’ own weight: self-perception, misclassification, and ease of counseling. Obes Res 13, 326–332.
19. A Jiménez-Cruz & M Bacardí-Gascón (2006) Perception of overweight by Mexican physicians and teachers. Diabetes Care 29, 1983.
20. SFL Kirk , AJ Cockbain & J Beazley (2008) Obesity in Tonga: a cross-sectional comparative study of perceptions of body size and beliefs about obesity in lay people and nurses. Obes Res Clin Pract 2, 35–41.
23. JR Landis & GG Koch (1977) The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data. Biometrics 33, 159–174.
25. MA Burke , FW Heiland & CM Nadler (2010) From ‘overweight’ to ‘about right’: evidence of a generational shift in body weight norms. Obesity (Silver Spring) 18, 1226–1234.
26. LM Maynard , MK Serdula , DA Galuska et al. (2006) Secular trends in desired weight of adults. Int J Obes (Lond) 30, 1375–1381.
27. E Miller , M Schulz , D Bibeau et al. (2008) Factors associated with misperception of weight in the stroke belt. J Gen Intern Med 23, 323–328.
30. C Brotons , C Bjorkelund , M Bulc et al. (2005) Prevention and health promotion in clinical practice: the views of general practitioners in Europe. Prev Med 40, 595–601.
31. A Requejo , R Ortega , E Quintas et al. (1997) The control of body weight in young Spanish women: are they over-concerned? Nutr Res 17, 439–449.
32. I Kiefer , B Leitner , R Bauer et al. (2000) Body weight: the male and female perception. Soz Praventivmed 45, 274–278.
33. B Malinauskas , T Raedeke , V Aeby et al. (2006) Dieting practices, weight perceptions, and body composition: a comparison of normal weight, overweight, and obese college females. Nutr J 5, 11.
35. FJ Nieto-García , TL Bush & PM Keyl (1990) Body mass definitions of obesity: sensitivity and specificity using self-reported weight and height. Epidemiology 1, 146–152.