This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. CC Chen , LS Schilling & CH Lyder (2001) A concept analysis of malnutrition in the elderly. J Adv Nurs 36, 131–142.
3. S Brownie (2006) Why are elderly individuals at risk of nutritional deficiency? Int J Nurs Pract 12, 110–118.
4. AK Coelho , FL Rocha & MA Fausto (2006) Prevalence of undernutrition in elderly patients hospitalized in a geriatric unit in Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil. Nutrition 22, 1005–1011.
5. M Pirlich & H Lochs (2001) Nutrition in the elderly. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 15, 869–884.
6. JA Martinez , JJ Velasco & MD Urbistondo (1994) Effects of pharmacological therapy on anthropometric and biochemical status of male and female institutionalized psychiatric patients. J Am Coll Nutr 13, 192–197.
7. WO Seiler (1999) [Nutritional status of ill elderly patients]. Z Gerontol Geriatr 32, Suppl. 1, I7–I11.
11. SM Green & R Watson (2005) Nutritional screening and assessment tools for use by nurses: literature review. J Adv Nurs 50, 69–83.
13. Y Guigoz , S Lauque & BJ Vellas (2002) Identifying the elderly at risk for malnutrition. The Mini Nutritional Assessment. Clin Geriatr Med 18, 737–757.
15. Y Guigoz & B Vellas (1999) The Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA) for grading the nutritional state of elderly patients: presentation of the MNA, history and validation. Nestle Nutr Workshop Ser Clin Perform Programme 1, 3–11.
17. MH Suominen , SM Kivisto & KH Pitkala (2007) Effects of nutrition education on professionals’ practice and on the nutrition of aged residents in dementia wards. Eur J Clin Nutr 61, 1226–1232.
18. LZ Rubenstein , JO Harker , A Salva , Y Guigoz & B Vellas (2001) Screening for undernutrition in geriatric practice: developing the short-form Mini-Nutritional Assessment (MNA-SF). J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 56, M366–M372.
19. B Vellas , Y Guigoz , PJ Garry , F Nourhashemi , D Bennahum , S Lauque & JL Albarede (1999) The Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA) and its use in grading the nutritional state of elderly patients. Nutrition 15, 116–122.
21. IB Borecki , M Higgins , PJ Schreiner , DK Arnett , E Mayer-Davis , SC Hunt & MA Province (1998) Evidence for multiple determinants of the body mass index: the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Family Heart Study. Obes Res 6, 107–114.
22. JD Douketis , G Paradis , H Keller & C Martineau (2005) Canadian guidelines for body weight classification in adults: application in clinical practice to screen for overweight and obesity and to assess disease risk. CMAJ 172, 995–998.
23. I Janssen & AE Mark (2007) Elevated body mass index and mortality risk in the elderly. Obes Rev 8, 41–59.
25. B Margetts (2003) FAO/WHO launch expert report on diet, nutrition and prevention of chronic diseases. Public Health Nutr 6, 323–325.
27. ML Omran & JE Morley (2000) Assessment of protein energy malnutrition in older persons, part I. History, examination, body composition, and screening tools. Nutrition 16, 50–63.
28. M Elia , L Zellipour & RJ Stratton (2005) To screen or not to screen for adult malnutrition? Clin Nutr 24, 867–884.
35. H Salminen , M Saaf , SE Johansson , H Ringertz & LE Strender (2006) Nutritional status, as determined by the Mini-Nutritional Assessment, and osteoporosis: a cross-sectional study of an elderly female population. Eur J Clin Nutr 60, 486–493.
36. H Soini , P Routasalo & H Lagstrom (2004) Characteristics of the Mini-Nutritional Assessment in elderly home-care patients. Eur J Clin Nutr 58, 64–70.
37. L Christensson , M Unosson & AC Ek (2002) Evaluation of nutritional assessment techniques in elderly people newly admitted to municipal care. Eur J Clin Nutr 56, 810–818.
38. JL Gutierrez-Fisac , E Lopez , JR Banegas , A Graciani & F Rodriguez-Artalejo (2004) Prevalence of overweight and obesity in elderly people in Spain. Obes Res 12, 710–715.
41. JL Santos , C Albala , L Lera , C Garcia , P Arroyo , F Perez-Bravo , B Angel & M Peláez (2004) Anthropometric measurements in the elderly population of Santiago, Chile. Nutrition 20, 452–457.
42. A Saletti , EY Lindgren , L Johansson & T Cederholm (2000) Nutritional status according to mini nutritional assessment in an institutionalized elderly population in Sweden. Gerontology 46, 139–145.
43. M Suominen , S Muurinen , P Routasalo , H Soini , I Suur-Uski , A Peiponen , H Finne-Soveri & KH Pitkala (2005) Malnutrition and associated factors among aged residents in all nursing homes in Helsinki. Eur J Clin Nutr 59, 578–583.
45. KD Pentieva , CJ Bates , A Prentice & TJ Cole (1999) North–south differences in some indices of vitamin B6 nutritional status in older British people. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 69, 371–377.
46. M Elia & RJ Stratton (2005) Geographical inequalities in nutrient status and risk of malnutrition among English people aged 65 y and older. Nutrition 21, 1100–1106.