This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
8. MS Nanney , S Johnson , M Elliott & D Haire-Joshu (2007) Frequency of eating homegrown produce is associated with higher intake among parents and their preschool-aged children in rural Missouri. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 577–584.
10. SA French , M Story & RW Jeffery (2001) Environmental influences on eating and physical activity. Annu Rev Public Health 22, 309–335.
11. SA French , M Story , JA Fulkerson & P Hannan (2004) An environmental intervention to promote lower-fat food choices in secondary schools: outcomes of the TACOS study. Am J Public Health 94, 1507–1512.
12. A Drewnowski (2004) Obesity and the food environment: dietary energy density and diet costs. Am J Prev Med 27, 3 Suppl., 154–162.
13. LB Lewis , DC Sloane , LM Nascimento , AL Diamant , JJ Guinyard , AK Yancey & G Flynn (2005) African Americans’ access to healthy food options in south Los Angeles restaurants. Am J Public Health 95, 668–673.
14. SN Zenk , AJ Schulz , BA Israel , SA James , S Boa & ML Wilson (2005) Neighborhood racial composition, neighborhood poverty, and the spatial accessibility of supermarkets in metropolitan Detroit. Am J Public Health 95, 660–667.
15. CR Horowitz , KA Colson , PL Hebert & K Lancaster (2004) Barriers to buying healthy foods for people with diabetes: evidence of environmental disparities. Am J Public Health 94, 1549–1554.
16. M Rasmussen , R Krolner , K-I Klepp , L Lytle , J Brug , E Bere & P Due (2006) Determinants of fruit and vegetable consumption among children and adolescents: a review of the literature. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 3, 22.
17. TK Boehmer , CM Hoehner , KW Wyrwich , LK Brennan Ramirez & RC Brownson (2006) Correspondence between perceived and observed measures of neighborhood environmental supports for physical activity. J Phys Act Health 3, 22–36.
19. W King , S Belle , J Brach , L Simkin-Silverman , T Soska & A Kriska (2005) Objective measures of neighborhood environment and physical activity in older women. Am J Prev Med 28, 461–469.
20. MJ Duncan , JC Spence & WK Mummery (2005) Perceived environment and physical activity: a meta-analysis of selected environmental characteristics. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 2, 11.
21. J Atkinson , J Sallis , B Saelens , K Cain & J Black (2005) The association of neighborhood design and recreational environments with physical activity. Am J Health Promot 19, 304–309.
22. N Owen , N Humpel , E Leslie , A Bauman & J Sallis (2004) Understanding environmental influences on walking: review and research agenda. Am J Prev Med 27, 67–76.
23. N Humpel , N Owen , E Leslie , A Marshall , A Bauman & J Sallis (2004) Associations of location and perceived environmental attributes with walking in neighborhoods. Am J Health Promot 18, 239–242.
24. C Orleans , M Kraft , J Marx & J McGinnis (2003) Why are some neighborhoods active and others not? Ann Behav Med 25, 77–79.
25. I De Bourdeaudhuij , J Sallis & B Saelens (2003) Environmental correlates of physical activity in a sample of Belgian adults. Am J Health Promot 18, 83–92.
28. TJ Coates , RW Jeffery & LA Slinkard (1981) Heart healthy eating and exercise: introducing and maintaining changes in health behaviors. Am J Public Health 71, 15–23.
29. C Perry , D Bishop , G Taylor , M Davis , M Story , C Gray , SC Bishop , RA Mays , LA Lytle & L Harnack (2004) A randomized school trial of environmental strategies to encourage fruit and vegetable consumption among children. Health Educ Behav 31, 65–76.
30. L Staten , K Gregory-Mercado , J Ranger-Moore , JC Will , AR Giuliano , ES Ford & J Marshall (2004) Provider counseling, health education, and community health workers: The Arizona WISEWOMAN Project. J Womens Health 13, 547–556.
31. AC Marcus , J Heimendinger , P Wolfe (2001) A randomized trial of a brief intervention to increase fruit and vegetable intake: a replication study among callers to the CIS. Prev Med 33, 204–216.
32. AC Marcus , J Heimendinger , P Wolfe (1998) Increasing fruit and vegetable consumption among callers to the CIS: results from a randomized trial. Prev Med 27, S16–S28.
34. F Nothwehr (2004) Attitudes and behaviors related to weight control in two diverse populations. Prev Med 39, 674–680.
36. T Lohman & J Wright (2004) Maintenance of long-term weight loss: future directions. Quest 56, 105–119.
37. V Burke , T Mori & N Giangiulio (2002) An innovative program for changing health behaviors. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 11, 5586–5597.
39. A Drewnowski , N Darmon & A Briend (2004) Replacing fats and sweets with vegetables and fruits – a question of cost. Am J Public Health 94, 1555–1559.
40. K Glanz , M Basil , E Maibach , J Goldberg & D Snyder (1998) Why Americans eat what they do: taste, nutrition, cost, convenience, and weight control concerns as influences on food consumption. J Am Diet Assoc 98, 1118–1127.