This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. PC Adams , DM Reboussin , JC Barton et al. (2005) Hemochromatosis and iron-overload screening in a racially diverse population. N Engl J Med 352, 1769–1778.
2. EL Harris , CE McLaren , DM Reboussin et al. (2007) Serum ferritin and transferrin saturation in Asians and Pacific Islanders. Arch Intern Med 167, 722–726.
3. L Sun , OH Franco , FB Hu et al. (2008) Ferritin concentrations, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes in middle-aged and elderly chinese. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93, 4690–4696.
4. C Bozzini , D Girelli , O Olivieri et al. (2005) Prevalence of body iron excess in the metabolic syndrome. Diabetes Care 28, 2061–2063.
5. M Jehn , JM Clark & E Guallar (2004) Serum ferritin and risk of the metabolic syndrome in US adults. Diabetes Care 27, 2422–2428.
6. S Rajpathak , J Ma , J Manson et al. (2006) Iron intake and the risk of type 2 diabetes in women: a prospective cohort study. Diabetes Care 29, 1370–1376.
7. JH Ryoo , MG Kim , DW Lee et al. (2011) The relationship between serum ferritin and metabolic syndrome in healthy Korean men. Diabetes Metab Res Rev 27, 597–603.
8. BK Lee , Y Kim & YI Kim (2011) Association of serum ferritin with metabolic syndrome and diabetes mellitus in the South Korean general population according to the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2008. Metabolism 60, 1416–1424.
9. X Huang (2003) Iron overload and its association with cancer risk in humans: evidence for iron as a carcinogenic metal. Mutat Res 533, 153–171.
10. Y Tsai (2010) Geneticizing ethnicity: a study on the ‘Taiwan Bio-Bank’. East Asian Sci Technol Society 4, 433–455.
11. JS Friedlaender , FR Friedlaender , FA Reed et al. (2008) The genetic structure of Pacific Islanders. PLoS Genet 4, e19.
12. RD Gray , AJ Drummond & SJ Greenhill (2009) Language phylogenies reveal expansion pulses and pauses in Pacific settlement. Science 323, 479–483.
13. WH Pan , MS Lee , SY Chuang et al. (2008) Obesity pandemic, correlated factors and guidelines to define, screen and manage obesity in Taiwan. Obes Rev 9, Suppl. 1, 22–31.
16. WH Pan , HY Chang , WT Yeh et al. (2001) Prevalence, awareness, treatment and control of hypertension in Taiwan: results of Nutrition and Health Survey in Taiwan (NAHSIT) 1993–1996. J Hum Hypertens 15, 793–798.
20. AC Looker , PR Dallman , MD Carroll et al. (1997) Prevalence of iron deficiency in the United States. JAMA 277, 973–976.
24.Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (2001) Exceutive summary of the Third Report of The National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). JAMA 285, 2486–2497.
25. CE Tan , S Ma , D Wai et al. (2004) Can we apply the National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel definition of the metabolic syndrome to Asians? Diabetes Care 27, 1182–1186.
27. AV Chobanian , GL Bakris , HR Black et al. (2003) Seventh report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. Hypertension 42, 1206–1252.
29. AJ Barros & VN Hirakata (2003) Alternatives for logistic regression in cross-sectional studies: an empirical comparison of models that directly estimate the prevalence ratio. BMC Med Res Methodol 3, 21.
31. JT Salonen , TP Tuomainen , K Nyyssonen et al. (1998) Relation between iron stores and non-insulin dependent diabetes in men: case–control study. BMJ 317, 727.
32. RG Ruddell , D Hoang-Le , JM Barwood et al. (2009) Ferritin functions as a proinflammatory cytokine via iron-independent protein kinase Cζ/nuclear factor κB-regulated signaling in rat hepatic stellate cells. Hepatology 49, 887–900.
33. RT Acton , JC Barton , LV Passmore et al. (2006) Relationships of serum ferritin, transferrin saturation, and HFE mutations and self-reported diabetes in the Hemochromatosis and Iron Overload Screening (HEIRS) study. Diabetes Care 29, 2084–2089.
34. LR Zacharski , DL Ornstein , S Woloshin et al. (2000) Association of age, sex, and race with body iron stores in adults: analysis of NHANES III data. Am Heart J 140, 98–104.